Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

quarter mile question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: quarter mile question

fordfanboy, can you explain the pro's about replacing the torque converter? i might want to look into doing this in the near future...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Simply - the stock sucks.

For auto guys replacing the TC is the #1 mod after a CAI & tune hands down. Setting up a good stall is imperative to getting the best performance out of your auto.

The TCI Streetfighter is very popular and I have heard nothing but rave reviews on TI's also. Search around and get some feedback from what's available. I will even go out on a limb and say with no other mods but the TC with a CAI & Tune, you will drop at least a 1/2 sec off your time with some practice.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM
jlgtmustang06

i think i could have ran 14.5 w/o my gf in the car whats this torque converter all about
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

well is the only thing the torque converter do is change how it shifts and where you can launch the car from?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

wierd... I have an automatic and I launch the car at 2 grand with traction control off. with my mods I am only able to pull a 14.1 for my fastest time at like 102 mph... but I also spin a little tire off the line... I would expect a stock to be doing at least 14.5... I have read about stock GT's running in high 13's which I dont get how that happens...
Now that I think about it and am looking through slips, the best time I ever ran before the mods (stock) was 13.83 @ 100mph. My 60' was 2.0. This was in good weather. I launched at 1500rpm (anything higher and i'd spin). Once I modded it (front swaybar delete, UDPs, and LCAs) I hit 13.50. Then I added the CAI + tune and got a 13.007 at 106 with a 1.9 60' (B amachips tune). Then I added the pypes off-road h-pipe and ran a 12.950 @ 104mph with a 1.9 60' (Brenspeed tune).

Good times are possible with these cars. The main thing to focus on is the 60'. If it's anything over 2.1 then you need to change your launch technique. This is what worked for me.
1. traction control off (if you spin, change your launch technique)
2. over-drive off (i've heard conflicting information on whether this helps or not but it won't hurt you)
3. drive around the water box (unless you have DRs/Slicks with front skinnies)
4. stop well short of the staging lines and do a small burnout (i usually just power-break it until the tires start to spin lightly and let off the brake). Don't do a prolonged burnout, just a spin to clean off the tires.
5. in stock trim, I found launching between 1300 and 1700 rpms was the best for me (it varied depending on the track conditions). Hold the brake pedal down hard with your left food, give light throttle with your right. When the light turns green, off the brake and on the gas at the same time (note i said when the light turns green because if you're going for your best time and concentrating on your launch, worrying about reaction time is just going to hinder things until you get your technique down).

If your RPMs go up but you aren't moving well, you're spinning (you won't always hear a squeel). If this happens, launch at a lower RPM or from a dead stop.
If your RPMs drop to 700 or so, then you bogged (hooked up too well). If this happens, launch from a higher RPM.

After the mods, I hit 12s when launching from1100 -1250 RPMs. I spun a little but it beat starting from a dead stop by 1 tenth of a second. After trying many different things, you'll figure out what works best for you and each time you add something significant to your car, you'll have to learn it all over again. That's part of the fun of racing at the track...finding ways to improve your time without adding more mods. I kind of wish I'd held off on the mods for another month or 2 because I know there was 13.7s in that car when stock...too late now though.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
jlgtmustang06

ill try some of this stuff im gonna go to the track again wedneday or friday,will turning the o/d off really do anything tho ive never heard of that
Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlgtmustang06

ill try some of this stuff im gonna go to the track again wedneday or friday,will turning the o/d off really do anything tho ive never heard of that
Some have said it helps with supporting arguments and others have said it does nothing with supporting arguments. It won't hurt your time to have it turned off so i usually make it part of my routine.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

well is the only thing the torque converter do is change how it shifts and where you can launch the car from?
Are you kidding me? Those are the most important factors of running fast with an auto.[:'(]

Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Your times are not 'shocking'. Bad = yes - but I have seen guys run those times at the track several times. The Driver can be responsible for 2 seconds of time easily. No need for TC to be on ever down the 1320' under any circumstances.

I wouldn't go out and kick the car just yet. Search around and learn up on some drag racing tips/tricks.

Then - go out and buy a CAI & tune and a Torque Converter and you will see amazing results.
You'd be surprised how many people run with the TCS on because "someone who races a lottold them too"
Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Looking at your 93 MPH i would say your OD was on.Lower you rear tirespsi to18 to20psi, Fronts 40psi. TC off OD off. And power brake to 2,000 to 2500 RPMS and try that.

Quick Reply: quarter mile question