Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Breack in, oil etc q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Default Breack in, oil etc q's

Well I should have my gt in soon. (whenever the freaking dealer calls).

I have a few questons for you seasoned mustang drivers out there.

First question is what miliage should I look at before the motor is brocken in? Some say 300 and other say 500 other say 1000. I will be driving midrange trips around with varying speed and try to keep the engine loaded as well as vary its speed.

The question is what miliage should I look at, or should I just feel the motor out? This is my first ford motor to breack in so I ask you guys what is best?

Secondly, I have done quite a bit of forum lurking and I have seen people with valve issues if they switch to full synthetic. I like motorcraft oil and all but I would rather run full synthetic, other say they have no issues with it. Seems weird to me. Also the engines stock oil is 5-w20 correct? Should I run 0-w20 in the winter? What type of oil should I use?

Now the other question I have is, based on the videos I have seen of people running their cars. There seems to be a puff of white smoke or vapor pouring out the pipe on start then clears up quick. I have never experince this with any of my cars, at least not withough it being below freezing and having a engine with bad seals burning oil. What is the reason behind this vapor or smoke? Is it natural?

Now onto another question. I have seen endless threads about cold air intakes and tunes. Some say positive things others have issues. What kind of cold air intake can I use on this thing? Is there an option to geting a polished alu or chrome intake? Also the tunes seem to be afected by weather. I have been looking at brenspeed tunes. I want to run her stock for at least 6 months before having her tuned though so this is a fact finding question. I pretty much want a good tune that improves throtle response, ads a bit of hp but does not degrade if the wheather is hot. What would the recomended tune be? And what are the gain difference between the 87, 91 ,93 octane tunes? I always run super in my cars so I might as well get the most out of my buck. I also assume the tune starightens out the tourque curve further?

The last question is a bit silly especialy for a muscle car owner. What is the average fuel economy you guys are getting? Reason I ask is simply to compare with my car to see how well she is running. I aslo see from other posts that the tunes not only make the engine more responsive and add a couple of ponies but also increase economy of the engine. I find it a bit hard to belive,can anyonecomfirm these claims?

happy driving guys and thanks for the help.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Breack in, oil etc q's

For the first question the motor really could benefit from a 500 mile break in period. Ford uses a semi-synethetic motorcraft oil right now and I was told by a Ford service rep that they are going to full syn in the very near future. I know that GM uses full syn right out of the factory on the vette and there are no known issues. Personally I changed my oil at 1000 miles and then again after the winter at 2000 miles. Many people will jump on here with drastically different opinions and facts but what it boils down to is what you want to do. The rest is just opinions and guidelines. They just raised the amt of miles before changing your oil and many will say I am wasting my money by changing the oil so frequently. The 3 month or 3000 mile rule is a thing of the past but it worked for me and I am sticking to it. I have had many stangs over the years and never any motor problems that were caused by failure of the oil doing its job and keeping parts lubricated.

The second question the valve are seated by the first oil change anyway so really going to full syn will not be a problem from the first change. I changed mine over on the second oil change to Mobil 1 full syn and that was at 2000 miles and the car basically sat for 5 months during the winter. Many people will say that the oil filter is way more important than the oil itself. I have to agree and motorcraft actually makes a good one for these cars. Continue to use the factory recomended 5w-20 regardless if it is winter or summer. The poof of white smoke I was told was normal and nothing to worry about...but I am not a mechanic and not an expert so take that for what it is worth.

You can use any of the popular CAI/tunes and they are great esp on this forum and its sponsors. Problems can arise with anything as all these materials were made by imperfect people. I recommend a dyno tune instead of a canned tune as it will be specific to your motor and the parameters can be adj accordingly.

AVG MPG will vary depending on many factors and driving style. I get about 20-22 miles a gallon and most of that is city driving. Other times I get better gas mileage and yet other times I get worse...it just depends. I hope I answered some of the questions to your satisfaction and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care J
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I changed my oil at 500 miles, and put in Mobil 1 pure synthetic. I will do it again at 2000 miles just to get the rest of the break in trash out of there. A tech at the dealership said that alone is the smartest thing you can do to a new engine. It may be overkill, but that's me. I'm ****. I get 29 mpg if I run under 60 with the cruise on. Ford says to vary speed until 1000 miles. That would suggest that after that, it is pretty much broken in, but, they go on to say that fuel economy may increase until 2-3000 miles, so best guess.................fully broken in at 3000 miles. Stay with the 5w20 through winter. That is thin enough to get to the upper valvetrain quickly on startup. Can't help you on CAI. I'm a stock man, but there are some gurus on here that will help. Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:29 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the advice guys. It seems like the oil wasnt the problem for valvetrain issues reported, it was the filter starving the engine?

I totaly apreciate the help guys. I enjoy lurking around your forums and I find allot of usefull info.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Anyoerunning a stst turbo on their rear? How was the instal? Is iworth going for a rear mounted muffler turbo?

What is the cheepest turbo setup you can get for an 07 stang? Im not looking for anything extravagant.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

Anyoerunning a stst turbo on their rear? How was the instal? Is iworth going for a rear mounted muffler turbo?

What is the cheepest turbo setup you can get for an 07 stang? Im not looking for anything extravagant.
You may want to check this out:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...rchargers.html

I think the Hellion kit they sell is perfect for you. All you need is to find yourself a good shop to install it. No tuning needed.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:52 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Those kits seem to beon the pric side. Ill keep hunting
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hey anytime !!!!! IMO an turbo kit will cost more than a S/C but the HP gains on a turbo can far exceed that of a S/C if the bottom end is built up. Just what I read here on the forum. I still am going to go with the whipple H.O. and install soon.....pics and dyno sheets to follow
Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

No problem. One thing you MUST always remember is to stick with the 5w20.A local wrench turner told me that some of the dealership techs got slammed when a few of our cars came in for regular oil changes. They put in 5w30 and it was just thick enough to screw up the upper valvetrain. That dealership had to fork over 5-6 new engines.