Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Running Higher Octane ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

Default Running Higher Octane ?

im getting my C&L CAI and tune from brenspeed in soon, and im assuming ill be switching from the 87 octane i use now to a 91 or 93 (havnt really looked at which is in my area)

whats the best way to change over? I was gonna do this, lemme know if it would work

-burn the rest of my 87 octane

-fill up 1/2 way with 91-93

-burn all that

- install CAI and tune
Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Beastang

Default RE: Running Higher Octane ?

You do not need to do all of that run it down to 20 - 30 miles left on gas bring your tuner to the station fill it up with whatever octane you have in your area load the tune and hold on for the ride of your life
Old 05-20-2007, 02:29 PM
brewcity
2nd Gear Member

im not really sure but my c&l and tuner should be here by mid week so i ran out my 87 (down to 2 miles left) then i filled up with some 93 V-power. seems to be ok so far and buy the time my cai gets here it should be time to fill up again so i will have had two full tanks in her by that time. so i should be good to go w/ the 93 tune right away. atleast i think i will
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Beastang

You will definately be ready to go. I did mine with over 1/4 tank of 87 never had a problem. Enjoy it the difference is phenominal.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

im so excited first mod ill be doing to my car..

On a side note my friend with a v6 automatic accord coup (06) (not modded at all) has been giving me **** saying his car could beat mine ( 05 Mustang GT manual).

think i should race him before or after i get the CAI? i dont want him saying "its cause of the CAI".

or is his car really faster? i laughed when he first compared the 2, but he keeps doing it and says he will be faster "esp off the line" which is where i have come to assume mustangs reall shine
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

just go to the track leave him in the dust and then laugh at him as he's buying the beer. I dont see a v6 auto accord beating the manual gt unless hes a MUCH beter driver or you have enjine trouble.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:14 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blinkwise

im so excited first mod ill be doing to my car..

On a side note my friend with a v6 automatic accord coup (06) (not modded at all) has been giving me **** saying his car could beat mine ( 05 Mustang GT manual).

think i should race him before or after i get the CAI? i dont want him saying "its cause of the CAI".

or is his car really faster? i laughed when he first compared the 2, but he keeps doing it and says he will be faster "esp off the line" which is where i have come to assume mustangs reall shine
Not a chance.
Even ifhe could take you off the line once you hit 2nd gear all he'd get is a serenade of your ever-fading tailpipe symphony.
I'd wait until after the CAI/Tune.
That way you can thoroughly humiliate him twice (second time after he complains that you 'cheated' by using a custom tune and then flashing back to stock to whup his *** again).
And run him at a track. That way it's safer, legal and has the benefit of providing many witnesses to complete the humiliation.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

will do

and i feel confident even with my driving i could beat him, but he was even willing to let my friend who has a cobra and races all the time to race him in my car. I dunno, i thought he was insane, nice to hear he is
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Have fun with the 93 tune!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I've always ran 93Octane in my car even before my tune, but if I were you I'd just run down the 87 till you got only 5-10 miles left, then fill up with 93.

Quick Reply: Running Higher Octane ?