Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 PM
a_Alsebaei

Default RE: Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3

Where are your answers guys ????
Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

do cams react differently depending on what type of mods you have on the car? would the cams out right now such as crane or comp be good if combined with an after market torque converter...???
Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
a_Alsebaei

As I said mods are :
LT headers, off road X pipe, Cat back, JLT CAI, Underdrive pulleys
Is the T.Body required w/ cams ??
Can I go for stage 3 or 4 w/o installing a Tq converter my application will be street high speed not drag
Which one do you prefer crane or comp that can gain more RWHP

THANK YOU
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: a_Alsebaei

As I said mods are :
LT headers, off road X pipe, Cat back, JLT CAI, Underdrive pulleys
Is the T.Body required w/ cams ??
Can I go for stage 3 or 4 w/o installing a Tq converter my application will be street high speed not drag
Which one do you prefer crane or comp that can gain more RWHP

THANK YOU

You need a 90mm+ MAF housing withhuge intake tubing and a tune to match, a 62mm throttle body and CMCV delete plates and 3.73 or 4.10 gears to take full advantage ofany cam install on your car. I would also suggest a stage 1 or stage 2 cam for your automatic transmission car even ifyoureplace the converter with a looserconverter.IMO the automatic in the S197GTdrives too nice to mess up with a loose converter.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CaptRestless

What about the cams in the Parnelli Jones? They are using a different cam with P&P heads and are getting 400hp N/A...

How can aftermarket cams be crap?

Hi CaptRestless,

The Saleen PJ Mustang engine mods are actually pretty minor.Saleendisassembles the motor to hone the bores so they are parallel, install a forged strokercrank. forged pistons,mild Comp Cams with upgraded springs andsteel retainers,install a set of CMCV plates and reflash the ECU with altered calibrations for the larger 98mmMAF housing, UD pulleys. Everything else on and in the engine is stock from the oilpump to the igntion coils and cast exhaust manifolds.

The stock 3-valveheadsare regular GT production heads taken off the stock motors as they are driven into the shop. All the Saleen does isa quickhand grind tocleanup around the valves but only if needed, they are not ported, they arenot port matched and they are notpolished in any way and the onlynon-stock parts in the heads are thecams, steel retainers and springs. The reason for the lack of doing any port work is that head work does not produce any more power and can hurt mid-range torque and throtle response in a street 3-valve motor.

That is a very conservative 400bhp on a fully dressed andemissions certifiedmotor. Veryimpressive numbers when you consider the fact that 4-valveCobras were only rated320bhp. Imagine what a larger throttle body, headers, high-flow catted X-pipe, Meziere electric water pumpand a bit of fine tuning could produce. There is probably at leastanother 15-20+RWHPin the engine.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

You do need to get lower gear ratios, probably 3.73 or 4.10. People say you NEED a torque converter for the cams to operate. This isn't true because the cams will work. They just wont work to their full potential, which from what I have seen and heard from others, isn't a lot. I do agree with the part where you need more mods on the car to take full advantage of the cams... There is a lot more work involed than just cams and converter...

F1... explain more about why the stockautomatic is better than when hooked up to an aftermarket torque converter...? I was looking into buying a new torque converter for the car (I have an auto)....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

You do need to get lower gear ratios, probably 3.73 or 4.10. People say you NEED a torque converter for the cams to operate. This isn't true because the cams will work. They just wont work to their full potential, which from what I have seen and heard from others, isn't a lot. I do agree with the part where you need more mods on the car to take full advantage of the cams... There is a lot more work involed than just cams and converter...

F1... explain more about why the stockautomatic is better than when hooked up to an aftermarket torque converter...? I was looking into buying a new torque converter for the car (I have an auto)....

Hi tonkpils,

As you say, an engine with hotter camsdoesn't require gears to work, the cams produce power no matter what your rear axle ratio is. The advantage to installinga lower rear axle gear ratio is thatyougetmore torque multiplicationwhich helps an engine with cams or a higher RPM power band to launch more quickly from a standstill. Around town or on the highway they also work nomatter what transmission gear ratio you are in to increase your torque multiplication which buys you harder acceleration.

The higher stall speed of an after marketconverter allows the engine to start closer to the point where the enginemakes power ona launch which of course lowers your E.T.'s.A looser converterwith a well chosen stall speedhelpsengines with a higher RPM power band to get into the sweet part of the power band sooner than a tighter converter can. But on the street I've always found loose convertersless pleasant to drive because of the non-linear way the engine speed comes up before the car moves oraccelerates as you go on and off the throttle say in a turn. For somefolks this feelingis O.K. but for me it makes me feelI have less control over the car on the street. Of course on the drag strip a higher stall converter is absolutely the best way to go for a cammed or high RPM power band engine.

A lot of serious racers are using Comp Cams new profiles and they work very well on engines that are breathing well already. But cams won't help you much if there is some other restriction to airflow that artificially limit the potential of the cam's improved valve timing and profiles. Think of it in different terms, if you had a tune that was well optimized for 87 octane and the ignition timingusedold schoolhard coded look up tables (as many engine management systems still do), filling the tank with 93 octane fuel would not improve your engine performance. The limit in this example to making more powerisa pre-existing limitation in the ECU's programming, not any fault of the fuel used. This is the same problem almost any engine modification will have, there may be an upstream or downstream issue which is limiting the ability ofthe newpart tofulfill their full potential power production.

Cams swaps to more aggressive profiles and cam timings have been working for as long as engines have used cams to control valve events. There is nothing about the S197GT 3-valve engine that has changed this, not even the integratedVVT. The new cams available for the 3-valve engineclearly show there is potential inthe cam profiles and timing to produce plenty of additional power but like so many other new engines the factory has already been probing thelimits of th engine's capabilities and it is getting harder to findthehigh levels of power that the factory used to leave on the table. All you have to do is look a the trend in specific output per displacement of stock domestic engines to see the factoryengines are fast approaching thesameoutput levels as the European and Japanese. But what they have always used to compensate for our larger engines is higher RPM capability.

Cheers!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

F1, do you think a tune from B ama would be enough to wake up the auto? I havent gotten my car back from the shop. It is tuned and the last part is going to be installed tomarow.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

F1, do you think a tune from B ama would be enough to wake up the auto? I havent gotten my car back from the shop. It is tuned and the last part is going to be installed tomarow.

Hi tonkpils,

Personally I think the autos benifit more overallfrom a good tune thana manual because a good tuner will tweak the transmission pressuresmaking the car shift betteron the track and on the street. The stock autotrans is pretty gooddriving on the street though and it would be a shame to mess it up. You might want to ask about a drag strip only tune with improved shifting that you use only at the track. I know it can be done because I've seen several S197GT auto'sthat Adam at ST hasdone tunes just for the trackbut I don't know if Doughas anything like this or not.

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 PM
a_Alsebaei

come'on guys you are changing my question ?????? [:@]

My question is do I go for Stage 3 Comp cams or Stage 3 Crane cams ???
Crane got higher valve lift and more RPM

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3