Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:31 PM
a_Alsebaei

Default Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3

Hi guys,
I want to go for a set of cams for NA application ( 05 GT Manual )
I sow Comp Cams Stage 3 and Crane Cams Stage 3
Crane gives you more rpm 6200 while comp 6000 rpm

Please give me some advices
I want the guys who tried it before !

Thank you all
Old 05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3

I think you're confusing maximum rpms for "peak" power. The stock cams produce peak power around 5700rpm, the cams you listed are producing peak power at the rpms numbers you've stated. The stock motor can rev to 6500+rpms with a tune(to over ride the stock preset rpm limiter). Of course to build N/A power more rpms are a necessity, are you gonnakeep everything else stock? With the better cams you'll need better breathing heads, CAI/tune and LT'sto maximize it all, perhaps even a better breathing intake manifold as well(FAST, a division of Comp Cams will be releasing a better flowing intake soon).
Maybe you've already figured this out, but I'm just trying to help out
Oh, on the cam selection, if you want similar to stock idle and behavior the Comp piece is what I'd usejust for a mild boost in performance, but the Crane piece will help build a higher hp N/A engine. Although if you want a significant boost in hp you'll need to have custom grind cams made(but that's another tuning nightmare possibility). Good luck
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

I think you're confusing maximum rpms for "peak" power. The stock cams produce peak power around 5700rpm, the cams you listed are producing peak power at the rpms numbers you've stated. The stock motor can rev to 6500+rpms with a tune(to over ride the stock preset rpm limiter). Of course to build N/A power more rpms are a necessity, are you gonnakeep everything else stock? With the better cams you'll need better breathing heads, CAI/tune and LT'sto maximize it all, perhaps even a better breathing intake manifold as well(FAST, a division of Comp Cams will be releasing a better flowing intake soon).
Maybe you've already figured this out, but I'm just trying to help out
Oh, on the cam selection, if you want similar to stock idle and behavior the Comp piece is what I'd usejust for a mild boost in performance, but the Crane piece will help build a higher hp N/A engine. Although if you want a significant boost in hp you'll need to have custom grind cams made(but that's another tuning nightmare possibility). Good luck
+1, I have CompCams Stage 3 and my peak is right around 6000(I have to look at my dyno sheet) but I don't start loosing power until about 6500!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

what are your goals for this car specifically? IMO I would stay away from cams for the time being until the new regrinds are out. The ones that are out there are pathethic, I would only do them if you are looking to stay N/A.

Andrew
Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

post the specs of the cam's, would help out...Im to lazy to look.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Interesting cam thread if you are so inclined:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3162444/tm.htm
Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

Interesting cam thread if you are so inclined:
https://mustangforums.com/m_3162444/tm.htm

More interesting article from a guy most folks trust: http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/compcams.html

I believe this guy more than the other linked post because the other guy is missing the very items that he needs to maximize the output of the cams he installed. He needs to install a larger MAF housing and intake tube, a larger throttle body and CMCV delete plates.These items were proven to increaseintake breathing which is what is holding back his engine output probably at least 15-20RWHP. Don't be misled by incomplete testing of cams with an intake tract that is not good enough to let the cams perform to their best.

HTH!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Yah lets believe the guy that is trying to sell you cams on his article. It can't be atleast 5% biased right? He even says on the review that they are very mild and they should be named stage 1. Just open any 5.0 mustangs and fast fords and see how many of the big guys running 500+rwhp on a s197 are running. Just look to the end of every article where it states camshafts - STOCK.

Andrew
Old 05-22-2007, 05:51 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Yah lets believe the guy that is trying to sell you cams on his article. It can't be atleast 5% biased right? He even says on the review that they are very mild and they should be named stage 1. Just open any 5.0 mustangs and fast fords and see how many of the big guys running 500+rwhp on a s197 are running. Just look to the end of every article where it states camshafts - STOCK.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You just don't understand any of this stuff do you. O.K. don't believe him if you don't want to I don't care and nobody else cares either. Why not ask some of the people that have done ALL of the bolt-ons and then addedthe Comp Cams stage 3 sticks, beehives and retainers what they got? I'm pretty sure that they can't all be lyingabout it. But the fact is that if you are not going to supercharge your intake you will be leaving at least 40bhp on the table without cams no if's and's or but's.

Those "big guys" with 500+rwhpare all running blowers and there is no real need to install cams because they have not exhausted all of the power potential of the blower, fueland ignition systems yet and they are all afraid of blowing up their bottom ends. IMO 500+rwhp is not that big a deal. If a they had a serious race level bottom endthey would not be makingjust 500rwhp. The 4.6l withthe right combinationshould be able to make in excess of 800rwhp and still be managable on the street. Once they do exhaust the possibilties of the blower, fuel system and ignition systems just like on all other cars with blowers, cams will be the way to make more power than the other guy.

If yourengine is going to be run N/A cams are the key to making 400bhp out of these little 4.6l motors.

Cheers!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

like i said: "what are your goals for this car specifically? IMO I would stay away from cams for the time being until the new regrinds are out. The ones that are out there are pathethic, I would only do them if you are looking to stay N/A." might aswell ask livernois motor sports why they are also running the stock cams on the 700+hp stang. Like I have said on all the other posts get some actually experience on this 4.6 3valve before you keep posting. Just ask around call livernois, ask ford fan dude, ask spyder etc etc.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Stage 3 Vrs. Crane Cams Stage 3