Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new to the GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default new to the GT

Hey what's up everyone? I am thinking of getting the new 07 GT and planning on ALOT of future modding.I am thinking of getting a turbonetics turbo kit on in the future but before that I'll do all basic bolt ons then prep work for the big turbo.I was wondering how much the stock block can handle on boost before I get into problems? On the AGPTurbo.com website,there is a turbonetics turbo kit that makes about 450 whp on a stock car (claimed) ,not sure how much more it will be able to handle. Just looking for some insight/experiance from folks that have been there and the know how that goes into this specific gen mustang (05-07s)

Also do you all reccomend a stick shift or an auto for high HP? I heard the automatics in the GTs were actually pretty good,with gears,a shifter kit and TRQ converter I heard they can be real mean from a deadstop. I'll still most likely get a stick shift though,unless there are clear advantages with an auto for my future plans..

http://www.agpturbo.com/product.php?...t=0&page=1
This one is for 05-06s but I will make sure they have them available for 07s ..
Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: new to the GT

You won't go wrong with a turbo setup on these new mustangs. There are plenty of guys making decent boost (8-10psi) and upwards of 500rwhp on the stock motor. Now, whether or not you are gonna last forever at that power level on the stock bottom end.......who knows? Some have been at that level without internal work for some time......others have gone boom. A good rule of thumb is that if you are planning on getting really serious with your car (460rwhp or more), I'd start off by getting you some better guts for your motor. The rods are usually the culprit whenever one of these new 3V motors goes boom, so you should at least look into that. From what I've heard, the crank and pistons hold up really well even well above the 450rwhp safety mark. And as long as the guts stay in place, your block should be good for as much as 600rwhp (going by what a few built guys have told me).

As far as auto or manual. It depends on what you want out of the car. If you're looking to make a dragstrip monster, a kitted/stalled auto is the ticket. You'll turn in better 60 fts and more consistant times than in a stick shift. If you're mostly building a street car, then a manual will do just fine. You just may need to start looking at a better aftermarket clutch once you start approaching the 500rwhp mark.

Good luck with the new GT. They are a blast, and even moreso once u start modding. The skies (and your pocketbook) are the limit.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

Hey what's up everyone? I am thinking of getting the new 07 GT and planning on ALOT of future modding.I am thinking of getting a turbonetics turbo kit on in the future but before that I'll do all basic bolt ons then prep work for the big turbo.I was wondering how much the stock block can handle on boost before I get into problems? On the AGPTurbo.com website,there is a turbonetics turbo kit that makes about 450 whp on a stock car (claimed) ,not sure how much more it will be able to handle. Just looking for some insight/experiance from folks that have been there and the know how that goes into this specific gen mustang (05-07s)

Also do you all reccomend a stick shift or an auto for high HP? I heard the automatics in the GTs were actually pretty good,with gears,a shifter kit and TRQ converter I heard they can be real mean from a deadstop. I'll still most likely get a stick shift though,unless there are clear advantages with an auto for my future plans..

http://www.agpturbo.com/product.php?...t=0&page=1
This one is for 05-06s but I will make sure they have them available for 07s ..
I would stay around 450-460rwhp. Thats the safe area. People have more, but it's all in the tune.

And on the Auto or Stick, are you going to be just racing it? Or just a fun car to take out, and cruise around.

If it's just a track car or something, I would go for the auto. But for just a fun car, I would definitely get the stick.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Oh, and one more thing..........tires. You are gonna NEED some good tires once that turbo is in. Trust me.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147
As far as auto or manual. It depends on what you want out of the car. If you're looking to make a dragstrip monster, a kitted/stalled auto is the ticket. You'll turn in better 60 fts and more consistant times than in a stick shift. If you're mostly building a street car, then a manual will do just fine. You just may need to start looking at a better aftermarket clutch once you start approaching the 500rwhp mark.
I would be replacing it a hell of alot sooner than that...more like 400 and also the driveshaft should to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

I will most likely build up the internals after all the basic bolt ons ,being that this will be more of a long term project and a car that I want to keep for a long long time and mod it continualy as well as learning as much as I can about it at the same time.No big rush,just want it done right and have a fart load of power in the end..well..more like the beggining lol
[sm=gears.gif]
Still not sure if I want an auto or stick but I may test drive them both out to get a feel for both of them.I kinda want to build a track attacker but I also want something fun to drive and pull like a beast on the freeway.I love driving manuals though so I am leaning heavily towards it.

Anyone on this site running that specificturbonetics kit?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:18 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I would be replacing it a hell of alot sooner than that...more like 400 and also the driveshaft should to be replaced.

I have read the the internals can only handle soo much power until they give out (400-450 or so) not sure if it's just heresay or any truth to it. I am planning on rebuilding a few of the stock parts prior to making serious power,though I might go ahead and get the turbokit while being carefull not to push it too much...
Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147
. You just may need to start looking at a better aftermarket clutch once you start approaching the 500rwhp mark.
Nah, it just depends on what u do with the car and your driving style. I'm over 400 at the wheels with the stock clutch with zero issues. There's another blown 06GT in my area with a KB pushin 460rwhp, and he hasn't gone with a new clutch either. Just remember..........you can burn out your stock clutch even at 300hp bone stock. It all comes down to how hard you are on the thing. It does get easier to burn out with more HP, but the stock clutch doesn't give way at xxx amount of HP.

As far as the driveshaft, I've been getting feedback that going aftermarket doesn't necessarily fix that problem. Seems like the real culprit on blown out driveshafts is the u-joints........not the shafts themselves. So you can get yourself a good DS rated for up to 700hp, and still shear the thing off at 450rwhp cuz your joints aren't up to spec. This is what I've been hearing anyways.....and one of the reasons I haven'et dropped the coin on a 1pc shaft yet. Its not something you're gonna need anyways unless u start running some big stickies out back. With a street tire you'll just smoke down your radials before your shaft givesa heave.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

thankseveryone forall your input

I might be going to check out some GTs later on this week not sure when exactly I'll be getting one or if it's gonna be a brand new 07 I may just wait and see how much lower I can get an 05 or an 06 for later on.