Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BOV on a Centri Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default BOV on a Centri Supercharger

Hiya,

Someone told me today that a BOV would help my setup (Powerdyne). It would stop pressure from building up between shifts and make the shift smoother (which would be nice).

Any opinions on this?
Do I need to re-tune if I add one?
What kind and where do I put it?

Thanks! To be honest, I like the noise too.

~Fred
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BOV on a Centri Supercharger

i thought BOV's were pretty much for manuals...i could be wrong though. It will help with the shifts though because it will let out some pressure
Old 06-01-2007, 03:32 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

Hiya,

Someone told me today that a BOV would help my setup (Powerdyne). It would stop pressure from building up between shifts and make the shift smoother (which would be nice).

Any opinions on this?
Do I need to re-tune if I add one?
What kind and where do I put it?

Thanks! To be honest, I like the noise too.

~Fred
Your friend isright in the initial thought that a blow-off valve is for Turbos but since a centrifugal supercharger is, for the lack of a better description, a modified turbo it also benefits from a BOV. The valve is only used on F/I cars with a turbocharger or centrifugal supercharger (Positive displacement superchargers use a by-pass valve). When you are giving the car heavy throttle, there is a lot of pressure in the intake, and when you lay off the throttle suddenly, that pressure needs to be released. This is what the blow-off valve does.

On some cars this valve is tuned so you can hear it from outside the car. It makes a distinct "kchshsh kchshsh" sound when the driver lets off the gas suddenly. Sounds impressive and kinda scary if you're the other driver.lol

EDIT: Google the HKS SSQ or Turboxs S-type BOV; I think they'll both do okay. I understand the HKS pull type is the better.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

You copied and pasted that. :-P I saw that in a search.

Anyways, Do I have to retune because I venting metered air? How would I go about installing this?

~Fred
Old 06-01-2007, 04:33 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

You copied and pasted that. :-P I saw that in a search.

Anyways, Do I have to retune because I venting metered air? How would I go about installing this?

~Fred
Yeah, I used to be Bluestang6 before I bought my GT with the 0% interest rate last August. I'm glad you used the search! LOL
Old 06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure about the need for a retune with a BOV for you. More importantly though, I really don't think you're going to see that much of a difference with a BOV on an auto. The BOV is designed to allow a pressure drop when engine RPM drops off while shifting. With your auto, you are not going to see much of an RPM drop off during your shifts. I don't think it's going to do you much good, and could potentially weaken the performance of the SC on your auto.

My gut tells me that you wouldn't necessarily need a retune if you did install one, but it certainly couldn't hurt, and is always good insurance when you make a mod that affects the engine's performance.

If you decide to get one, keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:25 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

+1. From what I understand a lot of people use the BOV in an auto mostly for the sound. So if that's what you're going for I'd say do it. I also agree on the re-tune, blowing off excess pressure on deceleration shouldn't require it. JMO.