Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT strut bar - I give up!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default GT strut bar - I give up!!

Okay, it seems some folks on the forums are having better luck with this than I am. I have an 06GT. I have struggled with heat and paint problems mounting a GT500 strut tower bar. It basically trashed my hood blanket with paint melting into the felt and/or vice versa, so I replaced the stock hood blanket with one of the ABS from western which I really like. It's ABS and might be able to take the heat. So I mounted the bar again after completely stripping it down to the metal and polishing it to a high sheen. I really thought I had a chance at making this thing work. Plenum cover clearance is very good so I am thinking I am all good to go. I let the car warm up in the driveway for 15 minutes or so...it's getting real warm. I close the hood and let it "cook." Open it up, everything looks good still so I believe I am in the clear. I close the hood and shut it down. Then I just happen to look at the reflection of the sky and my pole for my basketball hoop on the hood and notice it aint looking right. Iuninstall the strut brace and sure enough that SOB was pushing up real good on my hood and causing the sheet metal to flex. I dont see any paint damage or cracks so I am hoping I am good - time will tell. Anyway the brace is off for good, I am going to throw it on Craigslist so if anybody in the denver area is interested, it's your cheap. I dont want to deal with shipping so if we cant meet, please dont ask. Theres not enough value there to justify packaging, insuring and everything else when you go to your local Ford and order it for $60.

Now the real question - is therea GT strut tower brace that will clear the plenum cover AND not push up on the hood? I'd prefer it not even touch the hood blanket. Yes - I want performance AND looks...if that's not too much to ask. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: GT strut bar - I give up!!

strut towers dont do much for the car anyway.....its an appearance mod only and most consider it a waste of money.

CrazyAl

Strut tower bars:

The theory of this product is that it ties together the front strut towers, reducing body flex. The S197 chassis is very stiff--espeically at the front strut towers. Consequently this isn't really needed. In my opinion, this is a mainly costmetic mod. There are tons of choices out there as this is a popular "me too" product that was popularized with ricers--becasue of this there's flood of them on the market. The the BMR is the strongest. If you seriously want one that's functional, that's what I'd get. The Steeda one with the billet ends is a joke and has an insane price tag. No thanks! Note that some strut tower bars can interfere with superchargers or plenum covers, so be careful of that.

Al's Pick: none. leave it stock and save your $$$ and weight for mods that really count.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wcgman

Okay, it seems some folks on the forums are having better luck with this than I am. I have an 06GT. I have struggled with heat and paint problems mounting a GT500 strut tower bar. It basically trashed my hood blanket with paint melting into the felt and/or vice versa, so I replaced the stock hood blanket with one of the ABS from western which I really like. It's ABS and might be able to take the heat. So I mounted the bar again after completely stripping it down to the metal and polishing it to a high sheen. I really thought I had a chance at making this thing work. Plenum cover clearance is very good so I am thinking I am all good to go. I let the car warm up in the driveway for 15 minutes or so...it's getting real warm. I close the hood and let it "cook." Open it up, everything looks good still so I believe I am in the clear. I close the hood and shut it down. Then I just happen to look at the reflection of the sky and my pole for my basketball hoop on the hood and notice it aint looking right. Iuninstall the strut brace and sure enough that SOB was pushing up real good on my hood and causing the sheet metal to flex. I dont see any paint damage or cracks so I am hoping I am good - time will tell. Anyway the brace is off for good, I am going to throw it on Craigslist so if anybody in the denver area is interested, it's your cheap. I dont want to deal with shipping so if we cant meet, please dont ask. Theres not enough value there to justify packaging, insuring and everything else when you go to your local Ford and order it for $60.

Now the real question - is therea GT strut tower brace that will clear the plenum cover AND not push up on the hood? I'd prefer it not even touch the hood blanket. Yes - I want performance AND looks...if that's not too much to ask. Thanks in advance.
You can check a couple of boards, but I understand the Strange Development will. Call them first, though, just to be sure!

http://www.strangedevelopment.com

I think the BMR will work as well. Again, check with them first.

I really like my Ford Racing strut tower brace. I've gotten compliments on it before. Have you considered selling your cover and just buying that brace?

Edit: It does fit, they even have a photo on thier website:

http://www.strangedevelopment.com/product_details.htm
Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

You can check a couple of boards, but I understand the Strange Development will. Call them first, though, just to be sure!

I really like my Ford Racing strut tower brace. I've gotten compliments on it before. Have you considered selling your cover and just buying that brace?

The thing is I like the cover as well because I think the plenum itself just being black ABS looks like crap and so plain. If I didnt have it I would definitely go for the Ford Racing one. Maybe the solution is get another plenum, paint it custom so it totally looks badass than put the Ford Racing strut tower on. Still cheaper to go with the strange or the BMR. Its also worth considering that there's talk that these dont work. Now, I believe I can feel a difference (slight but steering feel more solid...), so does my buddy whos got the same setup but he doesnt care if he's doing any damage to his hood. Are you able to tell a difference or is it psychological?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

strut towers dont do much for the car anyway.....its an appearance mod only and most consider it a waste of money.

CrazyAl

Strut tower bars:

The theory of this product is that it ties together the front strut towers, reducing body flex. The S197 chassis is very stiff--espeically at the front strut towers. Consequently this isn't really needed. In my opinion, this is a mainly costmetic mod. There are tons of choices out there as this is a popular "me too" product that was popularized with ricers--becasue of this there's flood of them on the market. The the BMR is the strongest. If you seriously want one that's functional, that's what I'd get. The Steeda one with the billet ends is a joke and has an insane price tag. No thanks! Note that some strut tower bars can interfere with superchargers or plenum covers, so be careful of that.

Al's Pick: none. leave it stock and save your $$$ and weight for mods that really count.

Tell me that in 30 years when your towers are 1 1/2 inches closer together.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have the BMR and it clears the plenum cover and doesn't push on the hood at all.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:21 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wcgman

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

The thing is I like the cover as well because I think the plenum itself just being black ABS looks like crap and so plain. If I didnt have it I would definitely go for the Ford Racing one. Maybe the solution is get another plenum, paint it custom so it totally looks badass than put the Ford Racing strut tower on. Still cheaper to go with the strange or the BMR. Its also worth considering that there's talk that these dont work. Now, I believe I can feel a difference (slight but steering feel more solid...), so does my buddy whos got the same setup but he doesnt care if he's doing any damage to his hood. Are you able to tell a difference or is it psychological?
Yes, the gains are probably dubious. I thought it felt a little different when I installed mine, but it was perhaps a placebo. I've changed so much since then I really can't remember what it did. There is definitely more bang for your buck in something like lower control arms. You will notice those!

As far as damage, if you get one made expressly for the GT, then you'll be fine. All you get is a small dent in the hood lining. Mine has been on for a year and has not changed the external apperence of the hood in the least.

Lots of people put things on their Mustangs that reduce or do nothing to help performance. For example: 20 inch wheels, louvres, racing stripes, interior chrome pieces, shorty antennaes, vanity plates, shaker hood scoops, fake hood scoops, body kits, dash kits, stereo upgrades, tinted headlights, sequential headlighs, clear turn signals, led tailights, fake side scoops, billet grilles, tail light bezels, painted mirror covers, and, yes, strut tower braces. None of those make your car perform any better, they just make it look differently than someone elses. I'm all for it. I just think it looks funny when someone goes over the top.

Bottom line, if you like the way it looks and you're OK with the price, then get it. If you're looking to up performance, then look somewhere else. Alternatively, if you like the way the vehicle handles as is, then there is no shame in saving your $200 and making another car payment or buy a tank of gas!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

a co-worker of mine had the same problem, easy fix put a washer on the backside of the strut bar, this angles the bar alittle to the front and down which gave him the clearance he needed to clear the hood and still clear the manifold cover.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

A tower strut brace does help by stiffening the chassis and in consequence improving vehicle handling, of course you won’t notice any difference if all you do is street driving or drag racing, but you will notice at the circuit, that the reason the new GT500, FR500 and most performance cars come equipped with one from the factory, even my 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes with one for off road stiffness.
I used the Steeda steel strut brace until I had to remove it because it won’t clear the Whipple SC, I’ll put it back as soon as I find one that fits or find someone who can fabricate a custom one.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: partsbill

a co-worker of mine had the same problem, easy fix put a washer on the backside of the strut bar, this angles the bar alittle to the front and down which gave him the clearance he needed to clear the hood and still clear the manifold cover.
Really? I will give this a try. As usual PB - you da man. I'll let you know the results.

Quick Reply: GT strut bar - I give up!!