Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK 62mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: BBK 62mm throttle body

What's the "nice" gain though? Thanks!

ORIGINAL: mriverdude1

Ok, after some research and a good bit of testing I'm gonna chime in on this one with my opinion, for what it's worth.
Myself ant 2 of my friends all have 05 and up gt's,( since katrina decided to take our older stangs replacements were in order, that b*tch) and we occasionaly get different brands of the same parts, which gives us some nice comparisons. Well this is one area that happened one friend got the bbk and the other ordered a moto blue. The end result is the moto blue TB after being on the car for 2 months has now been on the work bench in my garage for about the last 3, while the bbk is still installed and running strong with no probems.
I know some people have had trouble with trottle bodies on here and I think it would be interesting if someone did a pole as to which brand was giving the most trouble. The bbk is well made and apparently they did their homework, because what I have found is that with the bbk if you have a cai you just need to tune a little more fuel, but after reworking the tune on the moto blue several time we never could get it to run right. Well the only difference we could find between them is the fact that the bbk has plastic gears like the factory one and the moto blue has real nice pretty brass ones. I started to figure that those brass gears we pretty heavy so we pulled both and when opening up the butterflys on them the resistence wan notably heavyier on the moto blue. The end result is after talking to a friend who works for Ford that the problem is our cars throttle is drive by wire so there is a small electric motor that is responsible for opening the tb and those big brass gears were giving it hell.
After 6 months of no problems and a nice gain out of the bbk I'll now be ordering one for my car as well.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
mriverdude1

The gain on a bone stock car is negligable, but on a car with all the bolt ons it's in the 10 horse area. I won't be putting mine on untill I get my delete plates and headers.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Awesome, good luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang10

Has anyone bought the BBK 62mm throttle body and if so does it actually help at all performance wise. Also was your mustang stock or modified when you put it on. Just need to hear some info about before i buy it.

Hi justang10,

I waited for a long time before buying a larger throttle body to see what the issues would be with the drive by wire system and ECU. Every one of theearly CNC'd billet throttle bodies from every maker had a very mixed bag of problems for one reason or another, gear meash problems,blade flutter, won't idle,lean surge, power loss, no operation at all, failed gears, binding gears,check engine lights, multiple codes etc.Then BBK shipped their 62mm and Igot a look atone out at Brother's shop. The primary issues thateverybody else's TB'shad were as far as I could tellresolvedby BBK in one fell swoop by the smart use of the same parts that Ford used in two important areas, the gear mechanisim and the adjustable stop and damper for the blades. BBK also figured out that most people who had idel quality problems were not getting the right TPS voltage and resolved this by calibrating the TB correctly before shipping. Based on these bit of insight and arme with a credit card and the promise that if it did not work they would give me a 100% refund I bought one. On my car the BBK 62mm TB worked perfectly once I had it installed and drove it around the block. On my usual DynoJetthe BBK 62mm TB was good for 5-6rwhp soobviously for $250 I kept it installed. Almost nobody witha BBK TB has posted problems like the early no-name billet parts had thatwere notresolved through correcting installation errorsor replacement with a new calibrated TB. Mine and many others worked right out of the box probably due to following the installation instructions properly. Most of the time peoplewho have problems with a hop-up part have installed or failed tofully read and understand the installation. Read then read again then do a mock install and you will have no problems with the BBK TB.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Guys at Steeda told me to stay away...even the manager, the one trying to make a living, told me to stay away from any throttle body parts...the OE ones are alreayd so fine tuned that its not worth the change...most people who "notice" the change say that because they spent the money are have HOPED that there is a change...so they push harder, thinking that its changed...

This is what Steeda told me, so if steeda isnt reputable, then i dont know who is...

Ford spent hundred of thousands of dollars developing the intake system alone...so i assume that they did a bang up job on the throttle body...i'm not touching mine...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I only think its noticeable at WOT, when the whistle of the CAI is even harder than with the stock tb.

But i´d rather spend the 300 bucks in something else if i had them back.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shooter23
Guys at Steeda told me to stay away...even the manager, the one trying to make a living, told me to stay away from any throttle body parts...the OE ones are alreayd so fine tuned that its not worth the change...most people who "notice" the change say that because they spent the money are have HOPED that there is a change...so they push harder, thinking that its changed...

This is what Steeda told me, so if steeda isnt reputable, then i dont know who is...

Ford spent hundred of thousands of dollars developing the intake system alone...so i assume that they did a bang up job on the throttle body...i'm not touching mine...
Steeda is of course very reputable and they make the best, most complete line of S197 Mustang chassis parts on the planet. Trust me,I have their entireS197 suspension catalog bolted into my car. Gus knows me pretty well, we talk all the time. As a matter of fact I just missed the cut off to get hold of him today to order the new adjustable Comp/Street UCA upgrade for my original Steeda adjustableUCA.He has never said to me that the BBK 62mmthrottle bodiesare no good. Of course his job is to sellme something they offer for sale and Steeda does not sell BBK products. If Accufab offered a 62-65mm dual butterfly throttle body for the S197GT's 3-valve motor I'm pretty sure they would be perfectly happy to sell you one.

My 5-6rwhp number was notjust B.S. or imagination but camefrom testing I didusinga localDynoJet tuning shopusing SAE correction and smoothing set to 5.Theengine had been flashed with a DiabloPredator w/firmware v8r26 and the stock canned91octane CMCV delete platetune with no changes made at all to the tune, box stock tune.The car had a Steeda CAI kitw/90mm MAF housing, SteedaHigh-Flow Elbow intake upgrade and FRPP CMCV delete plates on the intake side. That 5-6rwhp SAE peak gain was consistent and the power and torque curves never dipped below the baseline pulls. These pulls were done back to back swapping the throttle bodies on the rollers with no other changes to anything in between pulls. The car was warmed back up after the swap andinfact the IAT data log shows that the air temp went up 8F degreesduring the BBK pulls.

From thistesting I'mcan only conclude that the BBK 62mm TB works pretty much as advertised. On a bone stock motor the BBK 62mm TB probably works even better as do almost all intake side mods on stock motors.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Read this today

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=66314

Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Negligence at instalation doesn't proove that a product is bad. I've removed and installed again my BBK for the stock 3 times to feel the difference and in any of them got a light, problem, code or whatsoever
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Fast Fords and Muscle mustangs mag sent me a DVD two months ago called "building the ultimate beast" and it was a step by step build up of a 2006 GT done at JDM performance that included dyno results on JDM's dyno. They installed a BBK throttle body as one of the upgrades pre-supercharger. They got 12hp from it. I guess I should mention that at that point they had done a C&L CAI with a predator canned tune, and UDP's. the throttle body was the 3rd upgrade. They did LT headers and x-pipe next and JDM claimed they were a little surprised by the header gain based on previous jobs done, they gave the credit to the throttle body for allowing more air and letting the headers do what they do.

Quick Reply: BBK 62mm throttle body