Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default Shelby GT

Let me start this by saying I am not insultinganyone who bought one, because they are gorgeous machines, and they ARE still Shelby's. I am just expressing some sincere disappointment and some disbelief I guess...

My sisters dealership got a Shelby GT in, so she called me up and asked if I would like to come take a look at it and test drive it. Me being the person I am, all but jumped out of my seat and went there right away. I get there and it's a nice white Shelby GT with the spoiler delete. Real nice clean looking car... so I start to look it over to see what they did to it...

... and proceeded to get more and more disappointed. For 40K, I expected more, and I certainly expected alot more creativity from Carol Shelby. It's like they took the Ford Racing Catalog and threw it at a GT, and whetever stuck, was what they put on it.

Here's what I saw (all parts are FRPP)
Cold air intake (which is made by Steeda, without the new elbow)
Shifter (made by Hurst)
GTA Axle backs (made by Superior I think the company is called)
the X pipe conversion (which looks like a Bassani piece I think)
the FRPP Lowering package; Shocks, Springs, Sways (again, not a piece made by Shelby)
FRPP Strut tie bar (also made by Steeda)
A Shelby Scuff plate (made by Scott Drake)

A vynil stripe kit

And the only piece made by Shelby:
A name plate, with a stamped version of Carols signature on it.

Seriously..I could build the same car for about 10K less. All my life, even as a die hard Chevy man, I always looked to Shelby as an icon of what it meant to be a performance shop. The GT 500 and the KR are marvels, no arguements there...I guess if you look at the Shelby GT as more of a collectors car than a true Shelby performance machine, it has its place... I dunno, I just expected... more. I mean, he didn't even upgrade the spagetti like LCA's that are on the cars. Driving it was really like driving a Stock GT that was running "strong on a good cool day". I can even tell there's a TON left in the tune on that car.

I dunno.. Like I said.. I guess my expectation were too high maybe? The only good thing that came from it, is that I am definately getting the GTA's and the X pipe now after hearing them.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT

you could take a stock mustang GT and put 50 grand into and it STILL wouldnt be a shelby. the shelby is a good handling, and a pretty quick car, but no gt500 by any means. its got looks, performance, and most of all the name. to some people, myself included, its worth it.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you on the above. What you are paying is for the geniuin SHELBY vehicle and that all the upgrades are already installed. My car when I sell it the upgrades wont matter< but if you sell that Shelby, it will worth more. I rather fix up my cheap GT and blow the Shelby GT away. heeehee
Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

i know its a shelby and i think its sharp; ive all ready talk to a new happy owner about his. But none the less it missing some brakes and a sc. I think w/ some brakes and a sc(maybe the frpp whipple) it be gold. But imo If i really want a "shelby" i buy a gt500 and send it to him for some pkgs where he'll sighn it too; the whole nine yards...money, money and more money.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I rather just fix up my GT and blow that shelby gt away. I agree with ezio350
Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hear ya, it's basically the style over substance issue.

there's a feeding frenzy going on and shelby's name
is the bait.

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

For 40K, I expected more, and I certainly expected alot more creativity from Carol Shelby. It's like they took the Ford Racing Catalog and threw it at a GT, and whetever stuck, was what they put on it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

A dealer here wanted 59k for used GT-H(11k miles)so 40k for a new one seems like a deal I guess. Both the GT and the GT-H put out 325hp which isnt all that impressive for that much more money but it is a Shelby and it does look nice even when it's white. That being said I paid 25.9k for my regular ol' GT with only 8500 miles on it and just cant seem to keep my foot out of it. All of its current mods were done done by the first owner except my tuner which should be here in a couple days. I have more planned for it and am glad I can spend money on upgrades I want. I could spend 14k and have a car faster than I could ever possibly need. Are Shelby mustangs overpriced? probably but people will pay and under the right circumstance I would as well so I guess that makes them worth the money.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't mind having one since it is no doubt the best looking mustang I have ever seen.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

acctually johnny, shelby just opend their "mod shop" for SGTs. mine is having the 20x9 black razors installed along with the huge baer brakes. but, they also install a paxton supercharger if you so desire. other mods that im gettin are sequential tail lights, lower fog lights, and the brake ducts. there are a number of guys on the shelby forums with SGTs w/ SC and big ole brakes, but they are payin even more[8D] after shelby is done modding up the SGTs that are being produced now, they will then allow previously sold SGTs the opportunity to cme back and get mods, and then the SS packages, and ultimately the general s197 crowd. its cool stuff, you should check it out some time. all of the parts at shelbyautos.com's shopping section for s197s can be installed at shelby on the the SGTs.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn I wish I sold chicken.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT