Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driveshaft & pinion ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Default Driveshaft & pinion ??

OK, after doing some searching I want a new driveshaft. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I saw the 41-46 lbs weight of the stock one. I also know I need to check / correct the pinion angle after swapping it. What my real question is, if I lowered the car also would that correct the pinion angle for the driveshaft or make it worse? I'm sure it wouldn't be dead on either way and would need adjusting.

I could probably sit down and figure it out but my brain is going numb from dealing with stupid people at work. Wouldn't be bad but most of the really dumb ones are higher up than me. At least I got a break from people at the office, until tomorrow morning when they all get back. The only bright side is Thursday I'll be off and in my car again and at a strip in Belle Rose, LA Friday night. OK I'm rambling now.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Driveshaft & pinion ??

moosestang has personal experience with this, if
he doesn't show today, pm him.....he'll help ya

Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

You will have to correct the pinion angle with an adjustable UCA. I don't think just lowering the car willdo it.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Once the driveshaft is in, it's hard to measure the angle of the trans output shaft. So I would measure stock first, then lower the car, then install the driveshaft so you can do your measurements. On a side note, I'm not lowered, I have the Spydershaft, did NOT measure before, did NOT adjust pinion angle, did NOT measure after. I now have LESS noise than with OEM and zero vibration, so, as I've learned from previous mods on this car,I'm leaving well enough alone. Whatever my angle is at, it's stayin'.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

[sm=smiley20.gif]
thats the best thing to do. install and test drive. 90% of the cars do not need any adjustments until you drop over 1.5"
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

would the drive shaft rub if the car is lowered? cause i am wondering the same thing. also, does a new aluminum one piece help only because it is almost half the weight of the stock one? or does it do anything else?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you have an aftermarket upper control arm with a pinion snubber, then I don't think even a 4 inch shaft would rub with the car lowered 1.5 inches. The pinion just can't move up high enough to cause it to rub, of course I could be wrong.

It's basically to reduce weight, but it also eliminates a lot of clunks when shifting, especially downshifting for me.

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

would the drive shaft rub if the car is lowered? cause i am wondering the same thing. also, does a new aluminum one piece help only because it is almost half the weight of the stock one? or does it do anything else?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would recommend the spyder shaft even though i have a denny's driveshaft. Reason being his replaces the pinion flange, which just makes more sense to me than using an adapter plate and the stock flange.

If spyder would like to send me a free driveshaft I'd be happy to do another writeup and comparison.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you do lower your car in the future and need to measure the trans flange. You can clamp a piece of flat steel to it using vise grips and measure off of that or I get an accurate measurement off the crankshaft pulley. Of course the measurement would be opposite at the trans flange.

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Once the driveshaft is in, it's hard to measure the angle of the trans output shaft. So I would measure stock first, then lower the car, then install the driveshaft so you can do your measurements. On a side note, I'm not lowered, I have the Spydershaft, did NOT measure before, did NOT adjust pinion angle, did NOT measure after. I now have LESS noise than with OEM and zero vibration, so, as I've learned from previous mods on this car,I'm leaving well enough alone. Whatever my angle is at, it's stayin'.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

hahahaha i can't do free but if you are serious about switching pm me maybe we can work something out.
just about everyone i sell one to is lowered and unless you drop more than 1.5" the stock stuff works okay. beyond that the suspension geometry gets wacked out and needs to be fixed so the ride quality and performance is enhanced.

my car is lowered 2 inches and i don't have any problems with clearance but i've changed my LCA's and replaced the stock bushings in my UCA with urethane. i also have my soon to be released traction/lift bars which prevent the unwanted axle rotation and allows for minor pinion angle adjustments. they are bolt on and eliminate the need to upgrade the UCA but i highly recommend to install some after market lowers to handle the increased torque load if you don't already have them.
the weight reduction allows the engine to rev quicker which in turn makes the car accelerate quicker. i have seen from 2 to 4 tenths of a second drop in 1/4 mile e.t. in cars using Spydershafts.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft & pinion ??