Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NEWBIE Looking to buy a GT... Need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: NEWBIE Looking to buy a GT... Need some suggestions

I would get the IUP....you will want it after you get the car probably and then kick yourself.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I'm 22 w/ an 06 5spd blk gt w/ the red leather int upgrade. I have muli color dash panel or whatever you call it but i only got it because you have to have that upgrade to get the red leather upgrade. But its a grate combo w/ the blk ext and the red int. In 06; the gt's came standered w/ the 3.55, however i would still like them a little shorter myself; maybe 3.73 or the 4.10's. Try asking the dealer if they'll install the the gears from ford racing w/ out messing up ur warranty. If
Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

spend the $100 (mines an 06 so i think came with 3:55s standard ) they will try to sell you an auto (dealers are ******), stick with the stick. whats written above is wrong, the leather is only where your body touches the seat, the rest is plastic (these are basically cheap cars with tons of plastic), the sides of the headrest etc, all plastic. you will notice this later because one has to be cleaned with leather cleaner, the other with armor all. I think the shaker 500 is fine (but i am 42 yo with 3 young kids). I recommend guns n roses appetite for destruction. want to save some ca$h? wait a month or so and buy a leftover 2007 (thats what i did last year) I got 0% financing for 72 months. i strongly recommend bullit wheels (think an extra $600 or so from ford). Look at the vista blue in the sun light BEFORE you buy it, you will have to live with the purple-ish hue, i decided on grey. i suggest a convertible, you wont need to boot unless you live in SoCal. aftermarket, get a CAI and tune for $625 or so immediately. negotiate hard with the dealers, they will all cave if you threaten to walk, play one dealer against the other. BEST luck
Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I'd have to say you are on the right track with the vista blue and black rims...I dont know about the 20's tho, that is a bit much imo. And as the others have said do the CAI and tune FIRST!!! that or mufflers...but the CAI and tune make the car much more enjoyable to drive, plus it opens up the way for other mods. You probably think you can get away with lowering the car cheaply, but you are most likely looking at 800 or so to do it somewhat right. I'm in the process of lowering my car, and springs, tokico adj shocks, and a che panhard bar are going to run somewhere right above 800, not to mention hardware you need since it seems that Ford thought it fit to build this car with hardware that is use-once, throw away. After you lower it, you will need the panhard at the very least to probably get the axle centered again, and eventually adj lower control arms to adjust the pinion angle.

As far as the IUP, i would get it if i were you, i like it on mine. Black leather, vista blue, black bullets (like mine hahaha), lowered, all that would look real sweet. If your interested in how it would look i have a couple of pictures saved of a vista blue with black bullets that is lowered, and imo has the best stance of any stang.

For the one guy saying 4.10s and CAI would get you what is called somewhat traction limited, I know my car with CAI and tune would spin first at any mph, and if you were spinning 1st and shifted to 2nd it would just spin through most of 2nd. I would say 4.10s will make it extremely traction limited, but you have to remember that it will kill your ability for runs down the highway. That is the only reason I havent made the jump yet is I'm scared that it will kill my highway fun (lots of races from 50mph). If I went to the track alot more I'd be all over 4.10s, but I like to be able to hit 2nd at 50 and go

Vista Blue was my 2nd choice to black, so nice choice