Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

getting beefed up before the camaro drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: getting beefed up before the camaro drop

I'm suspecting the folks at GM saw the success of the S197 in 2005, got hungry and then bit off more then they can chew.
That was my first thought when I first looked at some of the concept info last year. LS2 motor, 22in rims, IRL, etc. and they're way outta the price-point ballpark with it's most likely competitor - Mustangs.
A common figure floating around, given the what we know is supposed to be going into the new camaro, is in the$40k range.
May be a little bit high but that's still way too close to a base corvette; and no way in hell is chevy gonna build a performance vehicle that might compete with corvette sales.
So I'm thinking that may be part of the delays, along with the fact that car is butt-ugly.
Even still, if they somehow manage to meet or come close to the Mustang's price-point and chevy dealers try to pull the same crap ford dealers did in 2005 and mark it up, that'll only help Mustang and Challenger sales.
Ford was able to get away with that because at the time, they were the only game in town.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

as for the looks of our cars, they can definately drop the chassis down a bit, the space in the fenders looks awful
Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 PM
TxLonghorn
1st Gear Member

Last I heard the Camaro was coming out in early 2009, and it will have the LS3 V8 with 400-450hp, and there will be a supercharged LS3 with 550 hp, as well as 2 v6 options, performance and economy. I picked all this off the internet (heres a link for one of the articles- http://www.camaro5.com/?p=49 ), and Chevy has not made anything official, so no information is guaranteed accurate. I would imagine that the supercharged LS3 Camaros will go for less than the GT500's since they don't carry the Shelby name, and that by then Mustangs will have at least 350hp. I fear we may be competing against the performance v6 Camaros...

Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The new SS 'maro will have 22" in tha back and 20"s in tha front
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Dodoge sucks I will never own another chrysler product as long as I live they are crap as evidienced by the massive repair bills my less than 4year old 45k miles durango is causing. I liked my last camaro better than my 93 mustang but I like this mustang better than the camaro's(even if they are faster). That is the only chevy I've ever owned, but I rate chevy closer to Fordand way ahead of dodge which oh btw did I say was crap?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

ill test drive the hard top convert.

blueherdgt who is that in the clip? naked prom lady? its awesome when she realizes that familiar smell. LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

The only official thing I have heard about the new Camaro is that it will be coming to Europe and the UK will be getting a RHD version. If that happens it is likely to hurt Ford somewhat. As they wont even launch the Mustang here. Yet similar GM brands using similar cars like the Monaro (GTO) Sold here fairly well and the replacement is getting good press already know a couple people who want one. Also Rumoured the Challenger may be coming here. Ford need to get there finger out of there *** and get the mustang into production for Europe if thats the case even if it stays left hand drive getting it into Europe to compete would be a smart business decision.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

as far as the huge wheels on the show car, they are just that show. i'd be 17" and 18" from factory. I'm sure the mustang concept had huge wheels when it was out, hell it was only a two seater i believe, haha (when it was in concept form). There is no way to tell or anything to be worried about until GM releases something on it thats official. besides, i'm sure ford will up the engine and/or power once the others are here, but there isn't a real need to now. If they do up engine/power they'll probably hold off until the launch of the others or a year after it to gain buzz and hype about it. thats just my guess anyway by 2010 my car will be paid off and i'll probably jstu be as happy as i am with my car as i am now. i love this thing!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

No offense at all, but personally I think these arguments are senseless. You can make any car faster than another if you have the most money.... LOL (wish I had the doe for a Whipple)
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I think the charger looks nicer then the camero imo. As fair as witch ones faster; well see imo the GT was never built for the SS, thats what the machs and COBARS are for

And like some one said in the other post; Id buy a Z06 if i was going to go GM. Well if i had the money anyway; that car crazy!