Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?

I had the same problem what i found to be the lock nuts kept getting loose and making noise. im waiting for an alignment before i put some Locktite on and that would solve the problem. BUT YOU DEFINITLY will notice more road noise.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I'm not an expert on bolt tourquing when it comes to cars. However, I have worked with some in refineries. When you tourque the type of bolt being discussed here initialy it is streched. Thats part of what makes the bolt hold. When you remove it and reuse it you "may" be able to achieve the touque agian. However, the bolt has already been stretched so it has lost part of the quality that originaly gave it strength. It's like a lock washer that goes flat from over use, it's still there it just isn't doing what its supposed to anymore.

Sorry to repeat what you said F1fan, just thought I would put it in a little simpler terms.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

You should not hear any popping noises from a LCA install. Almost certainly, a popping noise means that your LCA is moving back and forth on its bushing mount bolt. The bolts do not locate the bushing, they are significantly smaller than the ID of the bushing. The bolts squeeze the frame bracket hard enough to secure the bushing in one place, thus the bolt torque and stretch is critical. Also, the nut is critical because it cannot work loose. I would recommend new bolts and nuts from your Ford dealer when installing the LCA's.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

That isEXACTLY when it happens to me. I did replace my bolts and fasteners with NEW Ford parts. I also watched the performance shop grease the crap out of all the bushings, etc... He also said he torqued them accordingly. I don't really care too much for the noise, I just want to make sure that everythingis installed correctly so that it works to the best of it's ability.

ORIGINAL: WhoMe

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I get a popping noise once in a while and all the other times it's more of a creaky noise....not squeaky....but CREAKY. Doesn't happen when I'm driving though...any ideas?

Usually happens when I'm coming to a stop or when I'm going forward from a stop. WAIT....could it be my new Hawk ceramic pads and PowerSlot rotors?????
I got the creaks after the LCA, springs, panhard install..no rotors here. But like you it only happens when the suspension is articulating slowly up and down. It happens on my driveway and when I break or pull away slowly from a stop. It seems slow weight transfer is what brings it out. Ive thuroughly greased everything. Next Im going to try replacing the bolts with new ones, from what I've read your not supposed to use them twice.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v8pilot
I had the same problem what i found to be the lock nuts kept getting loose and making noise. im waiting for an alignment before i put some Locktite on and that would solve the problem. BUT YOU DEFINITLY will notice more road noise.
Hi v8pilot,

There are no lock nuts per se used on the LCA's unlessthere were new bolts and nuts were included in your aftermarket LCA kit. If you have an LCAkit thatincluded new bolts and usedwhat you are calling "lock nuts" and the nuts are coming loose then your kit probably came with crap fasteners and you need toreplace all of the kit suppliedhardwarewith new high quality aircraftfasteners from a good performanceor racing hardware shop and retorque to factory specs.

Loctitemay or may notkeep the nuts from getting loose but chances are even ifLocktite works and keeps the nuts from coming loose if these areconventional reusable fastenersthe Loctite residue will obscure your torque readings when you reinstall thefasteners next time. DO NOT USE the crap fasteners at your local Orchard Supply Hardware or Home Depot! Use onlyknown suppliers of good grade 8 hardware (not the fake Chinesegrade 8 stuff),or aircraft fasteners on your suspension components.

But I agree fully that you will hear and feel a noteableincrease in road noise and drivelinenoise in the cabin even with poly/poly bushings on both ends. If you havespherical/poly or spherical/spherical bushings you will get more and more noise as you add more solidcontrol armbushings.

HTH!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carockwell
You should not hear any popping noises from a LCA install. Almost certainly, a popping noise means that your LCA is moving back and forth on its bushing mount bolt. The bolts do not locate the bushing, they are significantly smaller than the ID of the bushing. The bolts squeeze the frame bracket hard enough to secure the bushing in one place, thus the bolt torque and stretch is critical. Also, the nut is critical because it cannot work loose. I would recommend new bolts and nuts from your Ford dealer when installing the LCA's.
Hi carockwell,

There should not be any poping noises from the LCA's for the reasons you mention. Buta well designed bushing should have a close fit to the bolt with minimal play to avoid just such a situation. The clamping forces of the fastener are used to keep the fasteners from loosening and the bushing should not need to rely on clamping forcesin the mount for location. Location of the LCA's is the job of design and precision positioning of the mounting holes not the clamping forces of the fasteners on the LCA's.

HTH!