Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

Default Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?

I installed aftermarket LCA's, which are awsome, but sometimes when backing up while turning or taking off they make a little popping sound. Someone said to me is because the bushings are stiffer, but is normal. Is this right?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?

I don't think that is right. I have poly/combo BMR LCA's. I don't have any popping noise, just a little more road noise, more like a hissing sound butit is hardly noticeable.You might want to go through all of your nuts/bolts and see if anything is still loose.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

OH..........CRAP. I hate problems... Thanks, I'll check and re tight...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

This is directly from BMRs website. I went with Polyurethane myself and i can hear noise but only if my stetreo is off and the windows are down and im going ove a bump or other sudden movement.

[align=center]Road Noise[/align] [align=center]Wear Resistance[/align] [align=center]Performance Gain[/align] Polyurethane Some additional road noise. To date about 75% of our customers consider the increase acceptable. Very high wear resistance both from use and elemental damage. Typical lifespan: 15 years +. Most performance gain possible without going to a full race style bushing or bearing(rod-ends). Poly/rubber combination Very slight increase over stock, most can not distinguish the difference. Much better than stock but not as high as polyurethane. Typical lifespan: 5 years + depending on regional area. Very close to polyurethane in performance gain.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

road noise is one thing but popping doesnt sound right. Most of the ford suspension(as alot of the fasteners are on this car)bolts are listed as one time use only, probably get away with a second tightening but if you have trouble getting a bolt to the correct torque then you should replace it.

When I upgrade my suspension all 1 time use bolts/nuts will be replaced.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

should be road noise increase only from what I've read and experienced.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I get a popping noise once in a while and all the other times it's more of a creaky noise....not squeaky....but CREAKY. Doesn't happen when I'm driving though...any ideas?

Usually happens when I'm coming to a stop or when I'm going forward from a stop. WAIT....could it be my new Hawk ceramic pads and PowerSlot rotors?????
Old 06-30-2007, 01:13 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Do you have relocation brackets? If so check the bolts for them or better yet have them welded. I'm planning to get mine welded soon.

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I get a popping noise once in a while and all the other times it's more of a creaky noise....not squeaky....but CREAKY. Doesn't happen when I'm driving though...any ideas?

Usually happens when I'm coming to a stop or when I'm going forward from a stop. WAIT....could it be my new Hawk ceramic pads and PowerSlot rotors?????
Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I got the creaks after the LCA, springs, panhard install..no rotors here. But like you it only happens when the suspension is articulating slowly up and down. It happens on my driveway and when I break or pull away slowly from a stop. It seems slow weight transfer is what brings it out. Ive thuroughly greased everything. Next Im going to try replacing the bolts with new ones, from what I've read your not supposed to use them twice.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ezio350

I installed aftermarket LCA's, which are awsome, but sometimes when backing up while turning or taking off they make a little popping sound. Someone said to me is because the bushings are stiffer, but is normal. Is this right?
Hi ezio350,

Depending on the brand of LCA's you may have a design (cheap internet knock off parts and even half of the nationally advertised brands), or installation problem (any brand possible if you don't know what you are doing). But more likely if you have installed a quality name brand LCA (BMR orSteeda), you probably have a fastener problem causedbynot achiving full factory torque (you did use a torque wrench and torque to factory torque specs didn't you?). If you installed them yourself did you knowthe front and rear LCA fasteners need to be thrown away and replacedwithnew identicalFord supplied bolts? The problem is that the O.E. bolts are torque to yieldbolts and oncetorqued down need to be tossed out replaced. If you try to reuse them sometimes you can achive the factory torque but more often than not you cannot achive factory torque within 90 degrees or lessof full compresion of the components being torqued. This tells you that the bolts are worn and need replacement with new parts. If your LCA kit came with new nuts and bolts they are probably conventional fasteners and can be rused several times. If your LCA kit did not come with new fasteners and you just reused your original nuts and bolts you need to go to your local Ford parts department and getall new fasteners and replace the fasteners youreused. You also need to use a goodtorque wrench with a recent calibration, guessing or using your calibrated arm is not good enough and to say or think otherwise is foolish. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Are After market LCA's noisier than O.E.?