Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Persons with Automatics and that race them ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default Persons with Automatics and that race them ...

Just wanted to hear from the guys who know what they're talking about.

F.e. changing gears in my auto for 3.73´s, every1 says "you can feel better aceleration" yeah thats the point of it i know, but in numbers, how much time can u shave in the 1/4 mile with just swaping gears from 3.31 > 3.73 ? (and NO i wont buy 4.10´s thanks )
Torque converter, stock is 2,500 stall, getting a 3,000 stall how much time can i improove in the 1/4 ?
Or any1 that has done both and could please tell me how much time could u cut of the 1/4 ? .3 sec? .5 sec?
Do I need a new tune with the TC to make it work at its full potential ?

Thanks !!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
pinoy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Persons with Automatics and that race them ...

I have an auto with 3.73 gears plus. CAI + Tune, and x-pipe. I used to run 8.9 all day, now i run 8.7. Sometimes i run 8.6. Thats my best so far You will notice difference at the track. Im starting to spin my tires at the line already. Maybe some LCA will help me...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

IMO...oh never mind, you said guys who knew what they were talking about LOL...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

IMO...oh never mind, you said guys who knew what they were talking about LOL...
lol
Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
grey06gt
1st Gear Member

I asked around about torque converters for awhile and I've always been told to get a 3500 rpm stall. And I could be way wrong but I've heard in some cases that can shave off .5 by itself. I dont have mine on yet so I cant tell you if its true or not.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

yeah thats my dilema, if getting the "cheap" Street Fighter @3,000 stall (reworked TC) or an advanced PI 3,500 stall
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Casey39er

I have had my 3.73's in for over a year and made about 8runs at the track before getting my blower. Prior to the gear swap I was running consistently in the upper 13's with the CAI and the Predator 91 octane tune. The runs after the gear swap and an underdrive pulley install got mepretty steady 13.5 - 13.6 runs with 2.01 - 1.99, 60 Ft. times. The better time runs only came after I learned to launch again because it was too easy to spin the tires with the 3.73's. To help with this I run on Nitto drag radials and have installed BMR lower control arms with the relocation brackets. "Big Difference"

Since adding my blower I have changed out my torque converter with a custom built unit from Hughes Performance. It was built using my dyno sheet for the stall rating to match my power / torque curve under boost. It came out to about a 3100 stall rating. Just remember the higher the stall the more slipping you will notice under daily driving. I had to get use to that feeling in the lower RPM bands when the tranny was shifting. But when it gets going at WOT from 3000 to 6000 RPM, HOLD ON..

I also added a over sized transmission fluid cooler out in front (stock one is paper thin and sandwiched in-between the radiator and the air conditioning condenser). I also added the PA deep sump aluminum trans fluid pan with dipstick. Remember, "Heat Kills"

I have not had a chance to run it at the track with the new TC yet but I expect to be in the mid 11's
Old 07-06-2007, 02:26 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

What do you exactly mean by "more slipping" ? When does the tc or tranny slips? [&:]
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Casey39er

The torque converter slips when you are below the stall rating. They all do, that is how you are able to break / power stand it.It is not that bad, allTC's slip that is one of the principal behind how they work(fluid drive).You just notice it a little more with a high stall TC. Of course once you are in lock-up 3rd, 4th, & 5th, there is no slippage.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

With a CAI and a87 tune and 4.10's. 13.4 but with lots of wheels spin and hop. I now have BMR LCA's and Brackets. I can tell the wheel hop is gone now. Have not gottento the track since.

Quick Reply: Persons with Automatics and that race them ...