Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vibration at 3500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration at 3500 RPM?

Moose - Please keep me updated if you do in fact take it to the dealer. After some intese trail and error, it really is closer to 3200 than 3500. I never sat there and tried to figure out exactly where it occured. Anyway, it seems that it's possibly something with the exhaust rattling, maybe close to the engine before it goes to the pipes the length back - like right under and in front of the center console, behind the radio, etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like that other guys I was talking about - THE EXHAUST HANGER. I'd almost bet money on it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Sounds like that other guys I was talking about - THE EXHAUST HANGER. I'd almost bet money on it.
You're talking about the exhaust hanger on the trans cross member? I tried adjusting that by shimming the trans cross member, there was zero change. The tsb on that calls for adding hose clamps or something, which just seemed silly. maybe i'll just remove the exhaust!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You're talking about the exhaust hanger on the trans cross member? I tried adjusting that by shimming the trans cross member, there was zero change. The tsb on that calls for adding hose clamps or something, which just seemed silly. maybe i'll just remove the exhaust!
Actually based on the reading Ive done at least to a point that might not be a bad idea, would narrow it down some either way.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Oh I forgot, there was also this guy who had a similar situation at a specific RPM only. Can't remember what rpm it was but it was only that exact rpm. Anyway, after he took it to the dealership a half dozen times they finally figured out it was just the harmonics of that rpm that was rattling the exhaust hanger. He replaced the stock exhaust and never heard it again.

I forgot about that but that might be somthing interesting to you as well...
i have the exact same problem...but it's kinda like rattling at 3000 or so rpm. only at that rpm. i have taken it to the dealership several times and they have no idea...

wondering if it's the exhaust or what. sounds like a bad rattle at 3000......hmmm
Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This is no rattle. It's a vibration caused by something that is spinning.

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

Oh I forgot, there was also this guy who had a similar situation at a specific RPM only. Can't remember what rpm it was but it was only that exact rpm. Anyway, after he took it to the dealership a half dozen times they finally figured out it was just the harmonics of that rpm that was rattling the exhaust hanger. He replaced the stock exhaust and never heard it again.

I forgot about that but that might be somthing interesting to you as well...
i have the exact same problem...but it's kinda like rattling at 3000 or so rpm. only at that rpm. i have taken it to the dealership several times and they have no idea...

wondering if it's the exhaust or what. sounds like a bad rattle at 3000......hmmm
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Moose - I wasn't directing the hanger theory to you. I actually don't know what in the heck is your issue but I'm pretty sure it's not the hanger issue because of you describing tghe sound as 'spinning'. Some of the other chimes in this thread do sound like the hanger issue.

For those wondering what it turned out to be for this guy was the stock exhaust would rattle the hanger at a certain rpm because of a specific harmonic that occured at that specific rpm. He had taken it to the dealership many times and they went through everything over and over and finally figured it out. I don't remember if the dealership or another shop figured it out but I do know that after trying a lot of stuff, nothing made the vibration go away. He ended up buying an aftermarket exhaust and new midpipe and never heard the noise again. It was related to the stock exhaust and midpipe.

He (can't remember his name) was the only guy I have heard about this but it was described almost exactly like some of you are describing and I can't remember for sure but I think it was around the 3000 rpm range also.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Try checking your motor/tranny mounts.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Try checking your motor/tranny mounts.
Any advice on how exactly to check the stock mounts?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Man, i think i may have the same problem but i thought it was pinging this whole time. its very short from 2250-2500rpms

Quick Reply: Vibration at 3500 RPM?