Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what mods next

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default what mods next

I have a 2007 mustang GT. I already put in CAI, axle back exhaust, LT headers, o/r x-pipe, hand held tuner, and throttle body spacer. what mod should I do next? I don't want to supercharge yet. I was thinking cam and heads. but what do you think.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what mods next

why dont you want to supercharge?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

The cams and heads are not cheap. Be prepared to spend a few grand in parts alone....a lot more if you can't do the work yourself.

Many people report very minimal gains with a cam swap....less than 10 HP. I have seen Brent's article (Brenspeed) and I saw the increase he got....but that doesn't seem to happen for most people. It's way too much money to risk if you ask me. If I were you I'd save a little more money and get a supercharger. There's no sense wasting a bunch of money when you can get excellent results with a SC.

If you absolutely MUST do a heads/cams swap, wait a while. There are 2 intake manifolds that will be released soon that you will benefit from if you do the cams and heads. The intakes are by F.A.S.T. and C&L. There is not a lot of info on either of them yet but it's worth looking into before you make any commitments.

The F.A.S.T. intake makes a claim of an additional 40 RWHP, although this claim has pretty much been shot down. They are in the process of a redesign, and you will be able to purchase both theirs and the C&L from Brenspeed (and I assume other tuners), along with custom tunes for them. But honestly if you do the math, you might as well get a supercharger if you are going to be spending that kind of money.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

DONT TOUCH THE HEADS OR CAMS YET...there arent any good items on the market yet...

You need to put on some underdrive pullies and a set of charge motion delete plates...and then get into suspension...suspension is often overlooked and it is very important...

Other than that, i'd think about things like an oil cooler for reliability and cooling (cooling is often overlooked aswell)...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

one pieces drive shaft....

rear suspension mods... LCA/UCA (Adjustable)
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

UDPs.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

+1 on theUD pullies and delete plates. Assuming you are a manual, if you aren't going to get a supercharger later on go with some 4.10 gears as well. If you are going to then maybe get some 3.73s or just stick with the 3.55s.
ORIGINAL: shooter23

DONT TOUCH THE HEADS OR CAMS YET...there arent any good items on the market yet...

You need to put on some underdrive pullies and a set of charge motion delete plates...and then get into suspension...suspension is often overlooked and it is very important...

Other than that, i'd think about things like an oil cooler for reliability and cooling (cooling is often overlooked aswell)...
Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

UDP and delete plates, or a driveshaft, or if you have 3.31 gears, go to 3.73 or 4.10.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Excellent advice and info in this thread...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

thanks for all the advice. I didn't want to SC yet because of the hefty price, but if heads and cam aren't good, I might as well wait for the SC. I may beef up suspension in the mean time. I will also post pics since I'm at word now and not on my own computer. keep the suggestions coming.

Quick Reply: what mods next