Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wondering how strong your stock rods are?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:11 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default Wondering how strong your stock rods are?

I have been telling people for awhile about the toobrush pic my friend Paul took when he tore down his motor to illustrate just how crappy the stock rods are in the car.

I finally found it and wanted to show you to make my point that even with the best tune on the planet, it is a crapshoot over 450 rwhp with these rods. No amount of tuning makes these things any stronger or bigger than they are so take it for what it's worth...

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/3273E2A8221B4B2FBF2107749FF00129.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
TrIpOd
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wondering how strong your stock rods are?

why would ford do that to us? bastards.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TrIpOd

why would ford do that to us? bastards.
The reason for everything else. MONEY. Make it as cheap as possible.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Ditto - it's all about money and mass production. Same reason we have phnuematic pistons.

I just wanted a reference for you to see when you hear about how 'with a good tune' you can.. blah blah blah...

Tuning is essential and the most important thing - no doubt, but you should always keep this pic in mind when you are questing for power from your tuner. When Diablosport and SCT have a tune function that doubles these things in size, then you can shoot for the moon with em'...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

what does the toothbrush signify? what am i not seeing in the pic?

ohh is it that the rod is really thin or something?

its a crappy little ibeam what do u expect from ford.

btw its hypereuctic i think or something like that. its stronger than casting.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

OH MY ****ING GOD [:'(]

My guess on why - besides cost, would be weight. The lighter you can get the rotating assembly thebetter your mileagewill be. Good old CAFE standards. I still think it's a joke though. That is beyond scary.

FFB - I just saved the pic on my 'puter so I can show it to all of the "I've been making 580rwhp for 2 years with no probs - it's all tuning" guys LOL
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

I would be curious to see what the rod looks like on a chevy small block to compare. I'll have to search.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Mark,

no doubt its not a meaty piece of metal... I think what also need to underderstood is that these rods are "powedered" in there manufacuturing and not forged so they metallurgy is also weak. certainly if they rods were made from titanium and the same dimensions they'd handle a heck of a lot more power!

Dave
Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
MAYA56

SIGH
Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

While I am not going to argue that our rods are about as skinny as a super model on Jenny Craig, I think the whole point that people try to make about the tune is, that a good tune can lessen the stresses put on the rods.

Am I saying that a good tune will let these things stand up to 500+ RWHP and be fine? Hell no. But a good tune will let them stand up to 460 RWHP and live a good life to talk about it, whereas a mediocre tune and 435 RWHP would make them into paperweights faster then you can blink.

And as faras Fords perspective... Less mass = less parasitic losses on the motor = more HP at the crank. The motor does not rev particularly high, so not alot of stress there to beat either. Seriously, if 1/2 of 1% of all the Mustang GT's that Ford makes with the 3 valve 4.6 liter Mod motor sees enough horsepower to eat a rod, I would call that a miracle. Remember, that most of us that are here on these forums are the exception on what we expect from a vehicle, not the rule.

Quick Reply: Wondering how strong your stock rods are?