Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wider tires/rims in back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Wider tires/rims in back?

Is putting wider rims and tires in the back (example: 18x9 and 18x10) just for looks or does it actually help with performance in a very minor way? What is the widest rim/tire set up we can put on our GT's without any rubbing problems?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Wider tires/rims in back?

Gosh I don't know how many times I have to tell people this but.....

WIDTH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOOK!

It is the HEIGHT that is important and determines the 'footprint' the tire makes. You find the tallest tire you can go with and get the widest to match - THAT is how you shop for the best tire.

To save you the trouble - I think the best street tire/rim set-up is 18x10 on Nitto 555R 305/45-18
Old 07-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

I disagree. with my stock 235's i could drop the clutch at 3500 and spin through 1st and slip in 2nd. With my 295's i get a screech and then i hook up. They do have better traction but still...there is more rubber to grip and get you moving.

if that were the case then slicks would be 255's because its all in the width right? why do you think they make 325 slicks? for looks???
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

also the stock were 50 and the new ones are 35 but i still hook up better
Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

315 35 17 nitto 555r on a 17x9 wheel aired to 22lbs on the street hook very nicely...

lots better than stock...but nowhere near my 26x11.5x17 mickey e.t. streets

we had some c6 z06 tires come thru ups last night...345 35 19...WIDE

Thats how mine look from the size, perfect 1/2" stick-out...love em.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Valyndiir

I am not completely sure about the technical aspects of lower profile tires, but they should be able to resist sidewall binding better than tall tires would. This means you would theoretically be able to increase the force required to cause traction loss during turning. That is about as far as it goes in regards to performance enhancement. Low profile tires are stiffer which causes the tire to retain its shape better meaning it will have a smaller footprint. Consider the amount of weight you are adding to your car It probably won't help a vehicle built mostly for acceleration. Also do not exceed a tire height 3% over stock because, by mechanical advantage or dis-advantage in this situation, will cause you to apply more pressure to your brakes in order to decrease speed due to the increased momentum given by the increase of tire height. This causes a hideous multiplying factor in temperature. Of course you could upgrade to an aftermarket system offering larger and better designed hardware. Increases in tired height will, however, increase your gas mileage, contrary to a small tire offering better acceleration and deceleration, but making more rotations per mile and making your car less efficient. In conclusion I'll say they are mostly for looks and exceeding 19" will more often cost much more than they are worth. 18s would be just fine for you!

As far as width is concerned, a 1" wide tire will have less surface area than a 2" wide tire and will not be capable of gripping as well. As far as height goes where footprinting is concerned, yes, a taller tire should generally have a larger footprint, but this is insignificant when compared to the compound loss in acceleration as a tire becomes taller. Not to mention your speedometer will no longer be accurate, which is just a pain in the *** to callibrate, at least it was when I had to find speedo gears calibrated properly for my transmission in conjuction with the rear-end set up in my Trans Am. I have only just purchased my 07 GT, so I don't know what it is like on the Mustangs, but they must use a gear somewhere as well. I wish I could tell you maximum insets/offsets, but I have not read enough literature on Mustangs as of yet, I myself am curious about how wide of a tire I can safely install in the rear wells on a 17-18" x 10-11" rim with stock offsets. The characteristics between tire manufacturers however are quite variable and everything I have said is subject to variation. Hope that sheds some light on things.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

damn i kina wish i woulda went with a 305/45...

i did the 295/45/18 555s and love them, but i wouldnt have minded that extra width..but as far as the tires.. i love em..

hey modernmuscle.. where do you work?

ttul
-GTstang
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I am going to get 18 x 9" wheels with 255/45/18s for the front and 18 x 10" wheels with 285/40/18s for the rear. Both size tires have the same overall diameter as the stock 235/50/18s so the diameter is not a problem.

The wider rear tire on a wider wheel will increase grip on the rear. But you do not necessarily want to have super wide tires on the front as it will affect handling and steering feel. That is why I wouldn't go wider than a 255/45/18 on the front. This, of course, is just my opinion.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

damn i kina wish i woulda went with a 305/45...

i did the 295/45/18 555s and love them, but i wouldnt have minded that extra width..but as far as the tires.. i love em..

hey modernmuscle.. where do you work?

ttul
-GTstang
I work at UPS, and monday, should be starting at an industrial welding place...(2nd job)...lots of $$$ to boot! woot!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 AM
BStangGT

Sharp lookingGT Modern, I like those wheels you have.

Quick Reply: Wider tires/rims in back?