Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?? On Borla Stinger Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
buhbye

Default ?? On Borla Stinger Install

Got my Stingers installed yesterday and they sound awesome. It took me about 45 minutes on my own and everything went pretty good although I do have a couple questions I need some help with.

1.) The alignment of the tips are just a bit off, the left side is about a 1/4" lower than the right. What is the best way to get the tips lined up?

2.) I noticed there is a slight leak on the right side. Tried tightening but didn't want to overtighten too much. What can I do to try and get a good seal and stop the leak?

Overall I love the Stingers, at first they didn't sound nearly as loud as I expected but after a couple days they are starting to get deeper and a bit louder. Only a very small amount of drone noticeable. I actually tried a tip that I read here about putting a second clamp on each side which changes the resonance of the exhaust and limits the drone. As far as I can tell it works because I can't here too much drone while driving.

Next Mod is a tune and CAI then a lowering kit to round things off!!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ?? On Borla Stinger Install

I found the best way to get the tips perfect is to loosen the midpipe( i found this out when i did my offroad h install) and move them to the perfect spot and tighten the midpipe back up.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Yup, try the mid-pipe. For the record though, I couldn't get mine perfect even with the mid-pipe loose. Mine are close but not exactly. They have shifted and settled a little since I did the install so perhaps I'll give it another whirl again here.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 PM
laxplayer1028
2nd Gear Member

yea i had mine perfect after the install....took me a lont time to get them right. Defnitelyloosen the midmipe. They settle after a while though and move a bit...i had to re-allign mine after about a month.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

I have the FRPP Stingers, and the supplied clamps did not work very well. In fact they came loose twice while driving. I think the alignment pin being so close to the edge caused the problem. So I torqued the supplied clamps down as tight as they would go, then I added two standard "U" shaped muffler clamps and torqued them as tight as I thought they would go without breaking or creasing the pipe, and haven't had any problems since. I'm sure if you over torqued the "U" clamps they could crease the pipe so be careful.

As far as drone, I have just over 1,200 miles on the Stingers and they are probably as loud as they are going to be, and the drone is pretty annoying to be honest, 1,700 to 2,000 RPM. But I look at this way, they sound great, they sound like a Mustang should sound, so I'll just have to live with the 300 RPM worth of drone.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Same thing with my MACs. I spent 40 minutes installing 'em. And wasted like an hour and a half trying to get 'em straight. I didn't try the mid pipe at all, I might though tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I didn't mess with the midpipe, the way I adjusted my Borla stingers was by bending the hangers a little (up, down, left or right, depending on where it needed to be moved). I used a small pipe I found in the garage to bend the hangers.