Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Questions

Thanks Az, I appreciate it....as far as the little dots above the rearview mirror but between the visors, does anyone know what the hell they are really there for?

Is it supposed to be some kind of tint/sunblock between the visors?

Because if so, it doesn't do shi!, the same thing is on my '03 Dakota and if I am going to work at the right time of day(early morning in the summer)in either car, the visors down are the only thing that helps, the sun blows right thru the"dots".

Thanks again,
Lance
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Shock521
2nd Gear Member

where i went i bought a warranty for 50 bucks. basically if you get pulled over and are forced to take it off, they will take it off and put 50% back on for free, 35% for i think 45 bucks, and 20% for 65. im not sure if those are the exact numbers, but pretty close.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I live in on the eastern shore right outside ocean city but i do a lot of driving in the annapolis columbia area and in my old car i had 20% and nevergot stopped up there but small town cops around here got me three times before i changed it for good now i just have 35 on my mustang they didnt even ask me what i wanted at the shop just took it back and did 35 which was perfectly fine with me, darker would look better but not worth the hassle
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM
billb60

ORIGINAL: LanceH

Thanks Az, I appreciate it....as far as the little dots above the rearview mirror but between the visors, does anyone know what the hell they are really there for?

Because if so, it doesn't do shi!, the same thing is on my '03 Dakota and if I am going to work at the right time of day(early morning in the summer)in either car, the visors down are the only thing that helps, the sun blows right thru the"dots".

Thanks again,
Lance
I think their to help break up the glare a little, but tint will not lay down flat on top of them so you get that white line around edge. I have heard of two ways to dealing with them. One way is to scrap off dots back to the solid border or the other way is to mask glass to outer edge of dots and paint dots and glass black leaving a hard straight edge so tint butt up to.

Also, you going to Jimmy Cone on Saturday?

John
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

heres my limo tint, 3 months driving around with windows up and down, cops have seen me, I've seen cops check out my car and admire it, no tickets... Just dont get pulled over for speeding, and any tint should be fine, in my area anyway.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:28 PM
CityDave
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danGT06

I'm not sure how the law enforcement is around where you are, but I live in southern cal where they are suppose to **** about tinted windows. I have 20% tint on the fronttwo and 5% on the back three. I do drive with my windows down most of the time though and if I see a cop then I just roll them down (which exposed my radar detector lol) Then I step on the gas and my illegal FRPP stingers come to life. I haven't had a problem yet with anything though *knock on wood* I wouldn't worry about just the tinted windows because its just a fix it ticket if you get pulled over and if you find the right shop they will replace it for free.

My two front windows do have scratches on the tint though. There is something that the shop can install that protects yours front two windows from scratching.

Your tint shop should have installed felt on the rubber wiper. This is generaly a extra cost of about $20.00 and stops the tint from being scratched.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Dave
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

35 percent in MD, but I have many friends who have gone 20 percent and still havent gotten any trouble. as long as you arent being stupid on the road you will be fine...

stupid=driving bad
stupid doesntconsist ofspeeding...
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: billb60

ORIGINAL: LanceH

Thanks again,
Lance
I think their to help break up the glare a little, but tint will not lay down flat on top of them so you get that white line around edge. I have heard of two ways to dealing with them. One way is to scrap off dots back to the solid border or the other way is to mask glass to outer edge of dots and paint dots and glass black leaving a hard straight edge so tint butt up to.

Also, you going to Jimmy Cone on Saturday?

John
Thanks for in the info on the "black dots".
I have no idea what Jimmy Cone is, so I'm guessing, that no, I won't be going.
Guess I am gonna stick with the 35% and hope I like it and don't get pulled over for it.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Man Im glad I live in S.C. I have 5% limo tint all the way around on my stang. I even put it over the top of the dark factory tint on my King Ranch. Our highway patrol and city cops all have dark tint on their patrol cars. We do have a law on the books but the only way they enforce it is if you get pulled over for something like DUI or reckless driving.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

If you go with 20% on the back and rears it will "shade the fronts to look darker than they are...as long as your state allows darker in the back of a two door vehicle your okay, most regulationspertain to onlythe driver and passenger windows. I had 20% on the back and 30% on the fronts and never got hassled even going on a military installation. They check the level of tint by holding a card with symbols 3 inches away from the inside and have to be able to make out AT LEAST 70% of what is printed on it to be legal. I've even passed inspections with 25% all the way around. Most law enforcement officers wont hassle you if your not being a total idiot and draw attention to yourself. Definately invest in moleskin, don't waste your time or money with anything else or you'll regret it. The two or three competive brands wont last if your getting heat...i.e. darker colored cars that draw more heat. All in all it is a perception, and YOUR attitude with the person defining the percentage; and or proof of; basically the difference between 20% and 35% to the naked eye depends on what ambient light is available; i.e. if your acting stupid (doing doughnuts in a parking lot at night) and get questioned....simply ask that the "level" of legal tint be calibrated during ambient daylight hours...not at night, as the percentage of light transmission will be greatly affected. All in all if you decide to do what is best to protect YOUR investment be advised, and be aware of YOUR behavior, sometimes extremely dark tint invites unwelcomed hassles, and potential theft as some folks see it as an opportunity to find out exactly what YOUR hiding.

Quick Reply: Tint Questions