Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
billb60

Default RE: Tint Questions

ORIGINAL: LanceH

ORIGINAL: billb60

ORIGINAL: LanceH

Thanks Az, I appreciate it....as far as the little dots above the rearview mirror but between the visors, does anyone know what the hell they are really there for?

Is it supposed to be some kind of tint/sunblock between the visors?

Because if so, it doesn't do shi!, the same thing is on my '03 Dakota and if I am going to work at the right time of day(early morning in the summer)in either car, the visors down are the only thing that helps, the sun blows right thru the"dots".

Thanks again,
Lance
I think their to help break up the glare a little, but tint will not lay down flat on top of them so you get that white line around edge. I have heard of two ways to dealing with them. One way is to scrap off dots back to the solid border or the other way is to mask glass to outer edge of dots and paint dots and glass black leaving a hard straight edge so tint butt up to.

Also, you going to Jimmy Cone on Saturday?

John
Thanks for in the info on the "black dots".
I have no idea what Jimmy Cone is, so I'm guessing, that no, I won't be going.
Guess I am gonna stick with the 35% and hope I like it and don't get pulled over for it.

Thanks,
Lance
Jimmy Cone is in Mt. Airy and is a cruise spot

http://www.jimmieconemd.com/html/crusienight.htm.

If you do come and want to a parking place try to get there befoe 6 p.m.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I'm definately not going to be able to make the one tomorrow, but hope to make one of the future dates.

What all goes on there, is it an actual cruise, or just a meet 'n greet, check out each other's cars kinda thing?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: damquick1

If you go with 20% on the back and rears it will "shade the fronts to look darker than they are...as long as your state allows darker in the back of a two door vehicle your okay, most regulationspertain to onlythe driver and passenger windows. I had 20% on the back and 30% on the fronts and never got hassled even going on a military installation.
MD on a car is 35% all around. On a truck or SUV it is 35% on the fronts and doesn't matter on the rears.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Khronus

Hey Lance,

I live in Fort Detrick, and I recently had my windows tinted to 35% all around. Like everyone else has said, 35% is the legal limit here. I played it safe and got 50% on my windows, because the other percentages they offered would have put me under the limit. However, since the windows come slightly tinted, I have somewhere between 35-50% tint. It's not really dark, but I think it looks good. The place I went to did a really good job on the install. There is no gap around the black boarder on the rear window and rear side windows either. The dots make it look like the tint is not sticking to the window at first, but over time it goes away. They say to give it 30 days before its all settled and looks the way it should. I had my done the first week in July, and I have no complaints with it so far. Plus with the tint I got it's guaranteed for life to not blister, bubble, peel, fade, etc. I had it done locally, so if you would like I can give you the info for the place I had it done.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt recommend Doctor Tint near the FSK mall... Two of my friends went there. Those guys use the 3M film to tint the windows. They do a very good job, however, in the middle of the window, there is a 3M logo... It is small but pretty noticable. I would try the Auto Salon downtown near the Frederick Coffee Company and the 7 Eleven...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:13 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Khronus

Hey Lance,

I live in Fort Detrick, and I recently had my windows tinted to 35% all around. Like everyone else has said, 35% is the legal limit here. I played it safe and got 50% on my windows, because the other percentages they offered would have put me under the limit. However, since the windows come slightly tinted, I have somewhere between 35-50% tint. It's not really dark, but I think it looks good. The place I went to did a really good job on the install. There is no gap around the black boarder on the rear window and rear side windows either. The dots make it look like the tint is not sticking to the window at first, but over time it goes away. They say to give it 30 days before its all settled and looks the way it should. I had my done the first week in July, and I have no complaints with it so far. Plus with the tint I got it's guaranteed for life to not blister, bubble, peel, fade, etc. I had it done locally, so if you would like I can give you the info for the place I had it done.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

sure, I would like the info, thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

I wouldnt recommend Doctor Tint near the FSK mall... Two of my friends went there. Those guys use the 3M film to tint the windows. They do a very good job, however, in the middle of the window, there is a 3M logo... It is small but pretty noticable. I would try the Auto Salon downtown near the Frederick Coffee Company and the 7 Eleven...
The only one I know about is next to the 7-11 on East St, didn't even realize there was one near FSK and couldn't find anything about it online.
Can't find an "Auto Salon" downtown either...just the Dr. Tint place...
So are you saying I should avoid the Dr. Tint on East St as well because they advertise the 3M as what they use?

Thanks, Lance
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Khronus

I went to Auto Trim Design by the Tate Chrysler Dealership.

7415 Grove Road
Frederick, MD 21704
(301) 662-7443

They use 3M tint as well; however, the 3M logo washes off. On the warranty card there is an alcohol wipe, and right next to it says to use the wipe to remove the logo. They told me this too when I picked up my car.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Khronus!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 AM
bigsilverstang

Hey! Kinda new here so i'm getting used to this! I am tinting my windows on my 06 gt, and i was wondering if anyone knows how much of a gap there is between the top of the film to the top of the window? I notice that the window goes down when you open the door and go back up when you close the door. So i just want to know what you other guys have done or what your tint shop did.

Thanks for any info!