Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Voice YOUR opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Voice YOUR opinion!

IRS[:'(] Look how much trouble srt8 owners or gto owners have trying to get a good launch without breaking ****.Some of the more serious GTO drag racers have swapped to a solid axle, Same for the cobras.

ORIGINAL: s2k

The only thing I think that the mustangs really need more is IRS and a bigger engine more like a 5.4 4v, leave the 6 speeds for the GT500. Trust me 6 speeds aren't that great and unless you reallly want to cruise in 6th. My s2k and rx-8 are 6 speeds and I used to use 6th alot but since i got the stang i realized 6th is next to useless.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

If they wanted to build a car that had crappy ride, crappy fuel economy and a price that was 10k higher many of these ideas would work. But no ford rep is gonna look at ideas that are going to raise the price of the car 5-10k higher and ruin its sales point.

Put in a 5.0, put in a 4v, make a more powerful engine blah blah... Well, they kinda did all this, the 05+ have more power than previous GT's, and are 3v instead of 2.

The stock gear ratios allow a good fuel economy comprimise, ford gets charged by the EPA for every car that doesnt get a certain minimum average EMPG, and the mustang GT doesnt get that MPG as it is, so they are tryingnot to bankrupt themselves with fines. But again, theavailable gear ratios are still better than other previous GT's.

The leather seat inserts are the industry standard and have been for years. No car has full leather seats! Leather doesnt flex like vinyl does and you would have the seats tearing from getting in and out at a very young age!

The new mustangs frame is considerably more rigid than in the past... unfortunatly the car is heavier which is one thing ford really could improve on. Help out there MPG andthe numbers, but lightweight crap costs lots of money too.

SoI think a better question would be, what could ford do to improve the mustang without soaring the prices through the roof?

Charger srt8

0-60 = 5.0 sec
1/4 mile = 13.5 @ 106.3mph
4226 lbs
Base price 36k

mustang GT
1/4 13.6 sec
0-60 5.1 sec
3500 lbs
Base price 25k

How do we not compare with SRT8, except being a lot cheaper, and sexy 2 door instead of nappy 4 door pig. Stop focusing on numbers so much, yay I have a 425 HP v8 16mpg... and my car is barely faster than a 300hp 24mpg mustang

The stock driveshaft definatly sucks, it does a good job of dampening vibration but the clunking sound is really terrible.

The paper mach'e suspension parts are definatly inadequate and could be replaced... but if I was going to be really enthusiastic about my suspension it would all be replaced with aftermarket anyway. But in my opition the car actually rides very well for a muscle car!

The engine is fine, if you can really afford to supercharge the car, and maintain a car that makes over 500bhp, then you can afford to forge the bottom end and build the motor for your needs. Oh and replace most of the driveline with aftermarket items that wont break.

All I am saying is, if you want ford to change things, be realistic. If you want a forged 5.4 4v suitable for SC buy a gt500... The mustang is awesome for the price, and will seriously compete with most things anywhere near its price range in stock form. The beautiful thing is, if you want to spend SRT8 money on a mustang, you can have any of the things that you asked for... and be a lot faster and miles sexier!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and I agree, stop charging an arm and a leg for special editions, and stop your dealers from marking everything up through the roof! Dealers are the devil!

I cant drive without arms and legs, or make the money for the payments [sm=devilgrin.gif]
Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shard Phoenix

If they wanted to build a car that had crappy ride, crappy fuel economy and a price that was 10k higher many of these ideas would work. But no ford rep is gonna look at ideas that are going to raise the price of the car 5-10k higher and ruin its sales point.

Put in a 5.0, put in a 4v, make a more powerful engine blah blah... Well, they kinda did all this, the 05+ have more power than previous GT's, and are 3v instead of 2.

The stock gear ratios allow a good fuel economy comprimise, ford gets charged by the EPA for every car that doesnt get a certain minimum average EMPG, and the mustang GT doesnt get that MPG as it is, so they are tryingnot to bankrupt themselves with fines. But again, theavailable gear ratios are still better than other previous GT's.

The leather seat inserts are the industry standard and have been for years. No car has full leather seats! Leather doesnt flex like vinyl does and you would have the seats tearing from getting in and out at a very young age!

The new mustangs frame is considerably more rigid than in the past... unfortunatly the car is heavier which is one thing ford really could improve on. Help out there MPG andthe numbers, but lightweight crap costs lots of money too.

SoI think a better question would be, what could ford do to improve the mustang without soaring the prices through the roof?

Charger srt8

0-60 = 5.0 sec
1/4 mile = 13.5 @ 106.3mph
4226 lbs
Base price 36k

mustang GT
1/4 13.6 sec
0-60 5.1 sec
3500 lbs
Base price 25k

How do we not compare with SRT8, except being a lot cheaper, and sexy 2 door instead of nappy 4 door pig. Stop focusing on numbers so much, yay I have a 425 HP v8 16mpg... and my car is barely faster than a 300hp 24mpg mustang

The stock driveshaft definatly sucks, it does a good job of dampening vibration but the clunking sound is really terrible.

The paper mach'e suspension parts are definatly inadequate and could be replaced... but if I was going to be really enthusiastic about my suspension it would all be replaced with aftermarket anyway. But in my opition the car actually rides very well for a muscle car!

The engine is fine, if you can really afford to supercharge the car, and maintain a car that makes over 500bhp, then you can afford to forge the bottom end and build the motor for your needs. Oh and replace most of the driveline with aftermarket items that wont break.

All I am saying is, if you want ford to change things, be realistic. If you want a forged 5.4 4v suitable for SC buy a gt500... The mustang is awesome for the price, and will seriously compete with most things anywhere near its price range in stock form. The beautiful thing is, if you want to spend SRT8 money on a mustang, you can have any of the things that you asked for... and be a lot faster and miles sexier!

I think you hit the nail on the head in your next post about the often mentioned evil dealer markup which makes buying a GT500 easier said than done not to mention the GT500 isnt worth what the dealers are asking IMO. I do agree with most of your post except I would still like to see some of those things happen as far as the engine and differential go although your correct they probably wont. The only way Ford will keep the deaers from gouging is to offer a bigger or more powerful drivetrain in the more mass produced cars which could be done with the base GT model keeping the smallish 281 3V at 300hp. You dont see massive markups on the SRT8's like you do on the GT500 or most of us would probably have one.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

I still wouldnt, I am just a soldier... The GT kicks my pocketbooks *** in its lowly-but-almost fully loaded form :P I love the shelby, but the GT was just the right price

And dont get me wrong, a 350 HP 5.0 2v or 3v would be creamy in my pants... but its not happening! They already have the 281, its not getting replaced!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I can always dream about it though Other than what I posted not sure I'd change much.

The fox bodies lasted for more than 10 years before they changed the body style so hopfully this one stays around for awhile although I think its gonna change in 2010
Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Put in a motor in the GT with atleast 350-375hp non supercharged. Also when doing this keep the price of our cars now!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shard Phoenix

Increasing the displacement to 5.0 liters would not jack up the price 5 -10k. They could use the same block and 3v heads as they have now, just stroke it out a little more. The increase in displacement should yeild more horsepower allowing the Mustang GT to compete with the upcoming Camaro (400 hp) and Challenger (340 hp). Besides, it would be nice to see the 5-O back on the stang!

The stock gear ratios allow a good fuel economy comprimise, ford gets charged by the EPA for every car that doesnt get a certain minimum average EMPG, and the mustang GT doesnt get that MPG as it is, so they are trying not to bankrupt themselves with fines. But again, the available gear ratios are still better than other previous GT's.
I agree.

The new mustangs frame is considerably more rigid than in the past... unfortunatly the car is heavier which is one thing ford really could improve on. Help out there MPG and the numbers, but lightweight crap costs lots of money too.
I agree.

The new 2-door Challenger will probably weigh lighter than the larger 4-door Charger. A Boss Mustang with a 425 hp n/a 5.4 aluminum engine should compete with any SRT8 or LS3 Camaro Z28.

Get a Spydershaft.

I agree.

I assumed that this discussion was for the next update of the Mustang, which is suppose to be in 2009. I agree that the price point needs to stay close to where it is today, but Ford needs to stay competitve with the new offerings from Chevy and Dodge. Remember, next year's V6 Mustang will have the new 3.5l Duratech pushing 265 hp. That is only 35 less than the current GT and lighter to boot! A 50 hp increase for the base GT would be appropriate in my mind.

You are thinking in present terms, and you are correct. But Ford needs to prepare for the upcoming new coupes from Chevy and Dodge. If they don't, they will be shamed in every comparison test and the Mustang will lose its repretation as America's muscle car quickly!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Good points. But you gotta admit ford really scimped on some of the s197 mustang parts.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

Good points. But you gotta admit ford really scimped on some of the s197 mustang parts.
Well, as Shard Phoenix posted, the Mustang GT is not bad in stock form for 75% of the people who purchase them. If you want to improve an aspect of your car, you can purchase the appropriate mods and install them.

The part that is really hard to change is the engine's internals. That is more than I can take on or are willing to pay for. With the increased hp of a 5.0 liter 3v, the internals will probably need to be beefed up anyway. Mass production of the new engine and internals will keep the costs down. Ford already knows that they have a winner in the Mustang GT, so calculating the new costs should be easy by looking at current/expected sales volume in years to come.

Ford would be crazy to keep the current engine at 300 hp. Hell, there are 6 cylinders out there making over 300 hp right now! (G35 Sedan, G37 Coupe, IS350) The new 6-cylinder Camaro could conceivably have 275+ hp.

Quick Reply: Voice YOUR opinion!