Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Default Traction?

So this year I have gotten into going to the 1/4 track and racing. I have a real hard time getting the power to the ground(ok its not hard its impossible). Those of u who go to the track often what wheel and tire combo and suspension mods would you recommend. I know I need more practice but thats not going to stop tire spin in 3rd gear.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Traction?

Well you could start by getting some better tires. Drag radials or Slicks for instance. Also if you want to stay on stock tires for a little longer look into Upper and Lower Control arms.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Tire spin in 3rd gear? What kind of power do you have and what gears?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

There is a four part suspenion on this model stang. Any upgrade to those parts would be great. Lower control arms (2), upper control arm, and an upgraded panhard rod. The best answer is better rubber outback. Slicks are the best but they made higher performance street tires that will do a good job too. search for info on Nitto 555, BFG's, or good year eagle F1's. The suspension parts coem to around $500 and will take around 2 hours to install. Please read up on lower control arms, they have great benefit but many people have install problems, hope this helps
Old 07-22-2007, 10:42 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

I should have put this in the original post sorrybut I have uca,lca,brackets(need to be welded in) and ph rod. Those mods are just for wheel hop and latteral movementnot spin I find as the wheel hop is gone and handles on the street alot better but does nothing as far as traction is concerned. I have a set of 18' steeda rims with 295/35 toyo T1R's(great for the street but the weight and lack of traction makes them definetly my worst mod). My mods to the engine are cai, full exhuast, and nitrous everything else stock. Looking for what shock and strut settup people are running and specific wheel and tire combo. This car is a daily driver 8 months out of the year.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:15 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downriverT

I should have put this in the original post sorrybut I have uca,lca,brackets(need to be welded in) and ph rod. Those mods are just for wheel hop and latteral movementnot spin I find as the wheel hop is gone and handles on the street alot better but does nothing as far as traction is concerned. I have a set of 18' steeda rims with 295/35 toyo T1R's(great for the street but the weight and lack of traction makes them definetly my worst mod). My mods to the engine are cai, full exhuast, and nitrous everything else stock. Looking for what shock and strut settup people are running and specific wheel and tire combo. This car is a daily driver 8 months out of the year.
Control arms do help spin a little but its not going to cut all of the spinning ecspecially on street tires. You just need to get a driveshaft, driveshaft safety loop, and Mickey Thompson ET Streets
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

All of those do help with spin, and with the nitous you are going to need better tires, no question about it.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

In that case I recommend the M&H drag radials in my sig picture. You should be able to spray off the line with these tires and you won't need to worry about spinning them in 3rd gear. I was told I could mount them on the stock 17x8's, but for $20 more I just opted for the 17x9 bullits from americanmuscle.com. the 17x9's and 275/50/17 M&H tires weigh the same as my stock 17x8's with pirellis. The 28 inch tire will lower your rpms a little when your cross the line which might be a good or bad thing depending on what rpms your at and what gear your in. I haven't tried them at the track yet, but i'm confident that will hook, alteast with my power level.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

You might want to invest in a nitrous controller box.(Summit,Jegs..etc.)
Tune so the initial hit is at 50% or whatever brings best E.Ts (Trial and error)
But It might be something worth your time!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Phraoz007
1st Gear Member

Pratice makes perfect (I'm smoking cars that have 50/60 more hp then me because they don't know how to drive.)

Quick Reply: Traction?