Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

UDP Install Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: UDP Install Time

I'm doing mine in 2 weeks when I get home and keep hearing you HAVE to use an impact. Sounds like that isn't necessarily the case. I hope not since I plan on using a breaker bar to loosen the crank bolt and then figure out which drawer I put my torque wrench in.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ the steeda instructions say you need an impact gun for autos, and you'll also need to hold the torque converter while torquing the crank pulley bolt...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

uhm... i have two pullies which came in the set which have not yet been installed??
Old 07-27-2007, 02:33 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

uhm... i have two pullies which came in the set which have not yet been installed??
Steeda has 2, roush has 2, BBK i think might have 3 and i think motoblue also has 3

If you have a auto you will need an impact gun from all the installs that i have read....manuals can get away with a breaker. It depends on the milage and how old the car is I think.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

My torque wrench worked pretty well at loosening the crank bolt. Infact it worked so well it was almost like the damn thing was about to come off!
Dude, don't use your torque wrench to break bolts, it's meant to tighten - breaker bars are for that. Seriously....it's a percision tool that is meant for one purpose.

To the OP...you will not need pneumatic tools but they are nice. A cheater bar + breaker barworks just fine. I used one cause I was too lazy to fire up the compressor...

The job is easy but be sure you get the proper puller. I would also recommned removing the fan - its only two bolts and one harness and gives you A LOT more room to work and makes the job much easier. If you do that, be sure to cover the radiator w/ some cardboard to avoid bending some fins. An hour should do the trick.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chevy Convert

ORIGINAL: Menace

My torque wrench worked pretty well at loosening the crank bolt. Infact it worked so well it was almost like the damn thing was about to come off!
Dude, don't use your torque wrench to break bolts, it's meant to tighten - breaker bars are for that. Seriously....it's a percision tool that is meant for one purpose.
I've all but given up saying this. People don't seem to listen and do it anyways [:'(]

But you are right, you aren't supposed to use a torque wrench for loosening bolts.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

If you have to hold the torque converter to tighten the bolt, can anyone think of a reason not to hold it to loosen the bolt? This would give me another excuse to get a compressor and impact but I've got a lot of other things I want to spend the money on.

And yeah, the quickest way to screw up a torque wrench is to use it to break loose tight bolts. You won't break it but you can screw up the calibration on it.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ I must say I'm guilty of using my torque wrench to loosen my wheels for flats and swapping between my street tires and drag radials...I know it's wrong, but it's easier than the POS they give you with the car, or those 4-ways at the parts stores...
Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Richie - a nice 1/2 drive breaker bar at sears is going to run you about $29.99 - and good torque wrench $75 - $100. Just get the breaker bar and don't look back - you'll have it for life.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Hell i got a cordless impact from pepboys......$60 and it works perfectly!

Quick Reply: UDP Install Time