Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NON INTERCOOLED WHIPPLE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: NON INTERCOOLED WHIPPLE

2k6silvergt

Where do you live? Any problems when the weather is really hot/humid? Do you ever run it at the track?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

I live in Indiana and usually the temps are pretty good but this last week has been in the 90's and its suppose to continue through next week. But I haven't had any problems with it. Ya I have ran it at the track a few times now. My best so far has been a 12.59 with the stock pirellis, which I consider pretty good. I have a bunch of suspension parts laying around so I know with those and possibly some new tires I can get my time down even more. The nice thing with the whipple is boost kicks in immediately.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You still have the stock control arms? I'd say 12anything is good for the stock pirellis! You must spin the **** out of them on the 2nd gear shift. I'm hoping for a 12 flat with the M&H drag radials. I ain't going till the temps drop to 70 though.

ORIGINAL: 2k6silvergt

I live in Indiana and usually the temps are pretty good but this last week has been in the 90's and its suppose to continue through next week. But I haven't had any problems with it. Ya I have ran it at the track a few times now. My best so far has been a 12.59 with the stock pirellis, which I consider pretty good. I have a bunch of suspension parts laying around so I know with those and possibly some new tires I can get my time down even more. The nice thing with the whipple is boost kicks in immediately.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Moosestang
I appreciate what some people posted in the other thread about being hot here and that affecting performance, but I would say the FRPP tune is pretty conservative, they say it has to work for high altitude and freezeing cold starts so I think it should be fine. When the temps sky rocket performance is going to suffer anyway. I am still on the fence personally because I am worried it wont have the performance I would want, but I wouldnt be worried about not having the intercooling.

Try calling Whipple/FRPP and ask them about running in high temps like florida and see what they say. Might be worth a call to VMP too, to see what they have to say. Keep me updated on your progress.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Just in case people havent read this yet, here is an article on the whipple and install.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html

Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

no problems yet, though i'm not all that hard, on my baby

as far as worrying about things like clutches, tranny's and
suspension stuff, just get the s/c in, drive it a couple of months,
then decide how you want to proceed.

you may find that no other modifications to the car are
warranted

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

hammeron

Have you had any problems/part breakage on your car? What would you say is the minimum to add to make the HO kit as reliable as possible? If it is only the clutch I could deal with that.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

We don't really have high temps, i mean it rarely gets above 100 where I live. Sure that's high for people that live in Colorado, but not for Arizona.

We also have free humidity injection to cool the air charge.

I've made an offer on YPS ebay auction for $4200 for the non intercooled kit. If they take my offer then I may have it installed before I go on vacation Sept. 8. I'd be happy to give you a ride if you meet me half way. I also have 4.10 gears though, so keep that in mind. I'm most likely going to have VMP tune it or at the very least dyno it.

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Moosestang
I appreciate what some people posted in the other thread about being hot here and that affecting performance, but I would say the FRPP tune is pretty conservative, they say it has to work for high altitude and freezeing cold starts so I think it should be fine. When the temps sky rocket performance is going to suffer anyway. I am still on the fence personally because I am worried it wont have the performance I would want, but I wouldnt be worried about not having the intercooling.

Try calling Whipple/FRPP and ask them about running in high temps like florida and see what they say. Might be worth a call to VMP too, to see what they have to say. Keep me updated on your progress.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

For daily driving I want to keep my wheels stock 17" 235/55/17's. I figure the tires will spin like crazy and that will limit the shock to the parts. For the track I would get an extra 2 stock 17's and mount some ET streets. I will get an extra safe tune as well. Might even try keeping the FRPP tune and just get the A/F checked out on the dyno. I am sure alot of work went into it.

I plan on getting the steeda drag pack suspension 1 and 2. I have to keep the stock ride hieght because my driveway is steep and I almost scrape now.

Darn it all, looks like I am going for the HO kit now. Another $1300 bucks to save. Looks like 2 years out. I figure if Ford says its ok for a stock car with manual trans thats good enough for me.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Great I will PM you my contact info.Like I said I am a while out while saving but I would love to get a feel for it.

Wow 4.10's, 1rst gear will be short. Maybe if you are coming all the way to orlando we can go to the track and run them.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Ya the stock control arms are still on the car. I have BMR lca's, uca, panhard bar, and eibach springs waiting to get put on it.

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You still have the stock control arms? I'd say 12anything is good for the stock pirellis! You must spin the **** out of them on the 2nd gear shift. I'm hoping for a 12 flat with the M&H drag radials. I ain't going till the temps drop to 70 though.

ORIGINAL: 2k6silvergt

Quick Reply: NON INTERCOOLED WHIPPLE