Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone tried Summit`s branded gear sets???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone tried Summit`s branded gear sets???

While checking prices on rear gear sets I came across Summit`s house brand gear sets for the Ford 8.8". The 3.73 and 4.10 are sold for $125.99 if I recall correctly. I`ve used some Summit house brand stuff in the past with good luck.

$125.99 is a great price for a gear set. I wonder who makes them. Anyone tried these yet?

Eric
Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Anyone tried Summit`s branded gear sets???

Its not worth trying to save a couple bucks on the gears for these cars...get the FRPP gears. They seem to cause the least amount of problems and whine. It will be 100 more but very well spent
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

I`m still a little confused about the rear gears. There are two different sets of FRPP gears, right? One set is made by Motive gears. Who makes the other set?

I keep hearing horror stories about Motive Gear sets, but I`ve also been told that it`s all in the install and that Motive makes a great gear set.

Is there any real proof that one set is better than the other? The only gear sets I`ve ever used were Richmond, but they were all for a GM 12 bolt.

Is there a good gear thread floating around that has tons of info? I need to know more before I make this choice. I definitaly don`t want to have a weak link in my rear end since everything else runs through it.

Eric
Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

There are tons of different threads on the subject. Many people, and installers will only use the FRPP and not the motives. There have been many people complaining about hte motives whining. Now you are correct that if installed properly then this is not an issue. But the FRPP gears seem to always come out great and no one complains......as for part numbers:

FRPP: M-4209-G410A
Motive: M-4209-G410M
Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

There are tons of different threads on the subject. Many people, and installers will only use the FRPP and not the motives. There have been many people complaining about hte motives whining. Now you are correct that if installed properly then this is not an issue. But the FRPP gears seem to always come out great and no one complains......as for part numbers:

FRPP: M-4209-G410A
Motive: M-4209-G410M

Thanks for the part #. I`ll probably just go with the FRPP gear set. It`s not even a $100.00 difference in price. With all the cash I plan on dropping on this car, another hundred bucks isn`t going to make a difference.

Eric
Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

I've purchased the 4.10 Motive Gears. Why not FRPP? well 'cause I bought it with some other stuff from Brenspeed, and knowing their excellent reputation I'm sure they won't sell anything but top quality products.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree that the product is fine, but its you installer who you have to have faith in.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I agree that the product is fine, but its you installer who you have to have faith in.
Yes I do!! (Thank God)
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

This is a borderline CODE 3 flamewar in the making...

for my two cents, go with FRPP A's, just to be safe...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

This is a borderline CODE 3 flamewar in the making...

for my two cents, go with FRPP A's, just to be safe...

God, I hope not. LOL

My rear end guy told me the motives are just fine. They are factory lapped so shouldn`t make any noise. In fact he said if you have them installed and they do make noise, your installer isn`t worth s**t. That`s pretty much a direct quote. This guy does major work around this area on dirt and asphalt track cars. Said he installs more Motive gears than all other brands combined.

He still said to go with the FRPP set if I was concerned. He agreed the extra $100.00 wasn`t much for peace of mind.

I watched him do a 9" install while I was in his shop. He uses a combination of digital gauges and compound. Nice set up. The only bad thing is, he has a four week waiting list right before and during racing season.

Eric

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Summit`s branded gear sets???