Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes Mid-Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default Pypes Mid-Muffler

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/newproducts.html#12

Hey everybody; i've had my car for a year now and im finally doing my 1st mod (yeah; i know im going to hear it for that). I've been looking into exhuast system forever and was getting ready to buy a axle back system from borla or the GTA'S from frpp. But I came across the mid muffler system from pypes; it looks bad a$$ and sound great on the clips. I've all ready talk to my dealer about them and they have no problem putting them on and said there would be no warranty issues.

I have a few quick question since i cant seem to find much info on them; what does 409 and 304 mean? Do you think I'll get any hp out of this? and I'm also thinking of adding a frrp X-pipe, will there be any problems w/ that?

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Pypes Mid-Muffler

409 and 304 are the grades of steel....409 being the better grade i believe

Probably not getting much HP from it

the x pipe will change the sound a little but its not going to get you a great deal of gains becuase you are still going to have the cats.....I am thinking of switching to a setup of Pypes o/r h pipe with the mid-muffler system.....i might play around and try this setup with my stingers still and see....there should be no drone with the system because of the mid mufflers that would act as resonators in all reality. I might slap some LTs on the later too! It should sound great!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

409 and 304 are the grades of steel....409 being the better grade i believe

Probably not getting much HP from it
Got that backwards. 304 is far superior and contains almost double the chromium content as 409. 304 is pretty much the top notch of exhaust systems and basically will never rust. 409 you have a much higher chance of it rusting at some point in time.

Having said that, 409 still isn't bad stuff, I'd just prefer the 304.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

of course, having announced that your gonna get this system on MF, you know that now you will be hounded incessantly for sound clips
Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

thanks how and azir, ill have no probelm getting some clips amermuscle once i got the system which may still be a while (couple of weeks).

I'm still woundering if i should get the frpp X-pipe, if the hp gain worth the money and if its going to f*ck up the sound.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I'm still woundering if i should get the frpp X-pipe, if the hp gain worth the money and if its going to f*ck up the sound.
I have the FRPP X-pipe with the GTAs and personally I like the sound difference, a bit smoother tone and a bit louder especially at WOT. My butt-dyno could feel a difference after install.

I don't know how they would sound combined with the mid-muffler system. I'm still debating whether I want to go with the mid-muffler system since it seems to be sitting so close to the gas tank.

Someone on another forum recently did a dyno test before and after FRPP X-pipe and GTA install on the same day and saw a 5-10 RWHP increase. Since there's no gain from swapping the mufflers, the conclusion was that the gain came from the X-pipe.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

I have the FRPP X-pipe with the GTAs and personally I like the sound difference, a bit smoother tone and a bit louder especially at WOT. My butt-dyno could feel a difference after install.

I don't know how they would sound combined with the mid-muffler system. I'm still debating whether I want to go with the mid-muffler system since it seems to be sitting so close to the gas tank.

Someone on another forum recently did a dyno test before and after FRPP X-pipe and GTA install on the same day and saw a 5-10 RWHP increase. Since there's no gain from swapping the mufflers, the conclusion was that the gain came from the X-pipe.
Your making me lean toward getting the frpp, but what are you talking about w/ the mid system being close to the gas tank?(as you can see; I'm a newbie w/ all this). Is the stock system in a dif spot? How bad is that?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It would be in the same place the stock pipes are...maybe slightly different
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
07 Mustang GT/CS

I have pypes midmuffler system and sound clips do no justice.To hear it in person is awesome.I had longtubes and offroad x pipe install at the same time with alot of other stuff.But there is absolutely no drone at all.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Your making me lean toward getting the frpp, but what are you talking about w/ the mid system being close to the gas tank?(as you can see; I'm a newbie w/ all this). Is the stock system in a dif spot? How bad is that?
On a regular system the mufflers are after the axle under the trunk. On the mid-muffler they are before the axle, which happens to be near the gas tank, and it's a pretty tight fit. Some folks have added some thermal isolation around the pypes mid-mufflers to reduce risks of something overheating.

Quick Reply: Pypes Mid-Muffler