Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whipple problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: whipple problems

the instructions say to remove the hood liner. That's odd that it would break the belts like that. I wonder if they are making it too tight? It has a slider pulley that you can adjust.

Here's the instructions for installing the belt.

[ol][*]Install the supplied 6-rib belt. With the spring loaded tensioner in its max open position, adjust the sliding idler down as far as possible. Torque this bolt to 35 ft/lbs. (3/4" socket) and then release the spring loaded tensioner. [/ol]
Now i'm no professional mechanic, but either you have to much tension on the belt or your belts are defective. If it were an alignment problem you should see some signs of belt shreading/fraying. by your description it sounds like it's just snapping clean. If it were me i'd back that slider pulley off a little and tighten it to spec, this might cause some slippage under boost though.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:51 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

This is either an alignment problem, atension problem, or an alternator bolt problem. Assuming all your bearings are spinning free, nothing else will cause this. Use a 2-4 ft level and or a plumb bob to check alignment. For tension, sometimes the stop on the tensioner must be ground off to allow enough travel. Lastly, make sure the belt is nowhere near contact with any of the bolts in it's path, esp. the alt. bolts.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

This is either an alignment problem, atension problem, or an alternator bolt problem. Assuming all your bearings are spinning free, nothing else will cause this. Use a 2-4 ft level and or a plumb bob to check alignment. For tension, sometimes the stop on the tensioner must be ground off to allow enough travel. Lastly, make sure the belt is nowhere near contact with any of the bolts in it's path, esp. the alt. bolts.
Yep! Grinding off the stop on the stock tensioner is part of the instructions. I'd check that for sure.

Post a picture of the belt.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM
TRYMY4.0
2nd Gear Member

it happens man. I've broken about 7-10 belts with my blower system.

Use GATES belts or supplied Whipple Belts (as long as they arent gatorbacks)

tell them to put the pulley on that squeeled (sp). add some WD-40...if it goes away order a new belt and DIY.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, but this guys only running a 6psi pulley, he shouldn't be breaking belts like that.

ORIGINAL: TRYMY4.0

it happens man. I've broken about 7-10 belts with my blower system.

Use GATES belts or supplied Whipple Belts (as long as they arent gatorbacks)

tell them to put the pulley on that squeeled (sp). add some WD-40...if it goes away order a new belt and DIY.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

That sucks i don't live far from them and was going to take it there to have them install my whipple when i decide to have it done, hope everything gets worked out for you.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

well after it snapped after the first week they installed a larger idler pully off of the h.o. kit whipple said it was better for the belt...but like i sais.. it squealed like crazy and i drove it three weeks like that cuz they said the squealing would stop but it didnt..... this was the longest i drove without snapping a belt....so i dont think it is an alignment issue but i could be wrong and i didnt get any picks of the belt, cj's took pics of it and sent them to whipple both times and both belts were directly from whipple they are made by DAYCO speacially for these kits, or thats what whipple told cj's
Old 08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

A couple of people on this forum have had similiar issues with the Saleen SC and they went back to the stock idler pulley and tension pulley plus this pulley from ford for the water pump F7UZ-8509-AA I don't know if it will fix your problem but for $23 it may be worth trying.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:49 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

i havent heard of anyone running the h.o. kit throwing belts...... so they should just upgrade me haha or at least give me a good deal on the upgrade
that might fix my problem
Old 08-18-2007, 08:42 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

How much did they charge you to install it if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: whipple problems