Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I learned a lesson today.....the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 AM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

Default I learned a lesson today.....the hard way

I was changing my oil today (as I have for about 20 years) I didn't notice that the old oil filter gasket came off with the motor. When I started it I heard a pishhhhhhh! I shut it off right away and thought to look at the old filter and realizedthe gasketwas missing. Sure enough it was mashed up under the new filter. I had about a quart and a half of Mobil 1 all over the floor and all over the front of the motor. Took me about 2 hours to clean it up. I'm just glad I caught it right away but i sure felt like an idiot. On a brighter note this was the first time I ran Mobil 1 in the car and I was impressed with how much peppier the motor felt. Maybe it was in my mind but I don't think so............

I remember my dad had the same thing happen to him about 15 years ago. Now I will BE SURE to check the old filter next time.
Just wanted to share.....

Bill
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I learned a lesson today.....the hard way

it can happen to anyone.....glad you noticed it
early like you did
Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Ileft an old oil filter gasket ononce, about 28 year ago on a 70 Firebird. I changed my oil after work one night,atthe Hollywood FloridaSears Automotive Centerwhere I worked as a teenager. Pulled out on the main drag to go home and noticed the tires were spinning real easy. Ups, there is oil under those tires. I lost about a quart before I caught it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its worse on a motorcycle with the filter up front there.
woops, oil on two tires is heck opposed to four tires.
Be aware of what you are doing and all will be well.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dang!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Yep, I learned that lesson a little over 30 years ago on my '66 Mustang. The noise sounded more like a loud fart but at least I (and you too) noticed it upon initial start up, before any damage to the engine could occur. It is amazing how much oil can come out in a very short time…

I am in the habit of using oil from the engine (oil filter location) to lube the new oil filter gasket. This forces me to look at the mating surface to be sure the old gasket is not there. I’ve saved myself from a repeat performance several times over the years.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

I have had that happen most of the time with the Ford oil filters (FL-820S). My wifes V-6Stang every time. Only twice so far withmy GT. My Mopars only once it happen to mein 25 years, Using Fram or Mopar oil filters. I don'tknow if its the oil fliters or theblock. But i am leaning toward the oil filter.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
lundis
1st Gear Member

ive never had this happen to me, and i change my oil in my car fora few years now, as well as my brother's and my parent's chevys...are you guys using NEW oil to lube up the new filter gasket before installation? if not, that is a standard procedure that will prevent this problem. just stick your finger into the bottle, and rub it around the filter. works quite well.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Good thing that you caught it rite away!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

I have always lubed the ring with eitherwheel bearinggrease or motor oil............

Quick Reply: I learned a lesson today.....the hard way