Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Put some WOAH... in the Whipple HO

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Put some WOAH... in the Whipple HO

I just had a thought, but dont know if it would work.

There are others like me who are looking for more than the Non-int Whipple and less than the HO kit for a multitude of reasons. Mine is mostly durabilty of the drivetrain on a daily driver.

So I was reading an article about a supercharger install on a car that already had underdrive pulleys. They said they would have to be switchedback to stockin order to get full boost from the S/C.

So my question is if one was to install UD pulleys and leave them on after the S/C install would that lower the boost safely. My thought is that by installing the HO kit with the UD pulleys it would put me at about 8 lbs of boost and about 400-420hp at the wheels and I would be intercooled.

I know I could just install a smaller pulley but this way I wouldnt have to, and I could run the UD's while I am saving.

Just so you know I dont need any, "Just get the HO kit and shut up" responses, just curious if this would work?

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Put some WOAH... in the Whipple HO

it's a pretty nifty idea, no doubt.

one thing that comes to mind is the length of
the belt that comes with the kit....in order for the
supplied belt to fit, it needs to cover a certain
distance.

one more thing that comes to mind is belt slip.

not sure if these are the reasons, why kits like you to return to
stock, or if it's an, issue with the tune.....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

good point, however a replacement belt can be found in just about any size from summit.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Using the UDP will lower the boost by making the belt and in consequence all accessories driven by the belt including the SC run slower.
I am not sure what boostyou'll get with teh UDP because I do not have the pulley diameter to make the calculation, however assuming you get the 8 PSI you are looking for, you have to consider that the tune you get from Ford/Whipple is designed for 10 psi, in consequence the timing will be more retarded than needed for 8psiand you will also have more fuel than needed coming from the dual pump and larger injectors.
I'd call Whipple for advice on this issue, their 10psi tune works for 12 psi and might as well work for 8psi but I dont know for sure.
You get the 400rwhp with the non intercooled 6 psi kit so 8 IC should give you more than that.
Finally, I apologize in advance because you specifically requested no to get this answer but I'd say get the 10 PSi as is, durability between 8psi and 10 psishould be about the same and it isdirectly proportionalto the weight of you right foot. (sorry couldnt resist [sm=boohoo.gif])
Good luck whatever you decide to do
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I could swer I saw an intercooled 8psi kit on whipples site
Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you have a good idea. To fine tune the boost level, but still keep your UDP`s to cut down on accessory wear and tear. I would approach it in a different way though. You know the whipple kit is set up to use a certain blower pully size, belt length and with the factory accessory pulleys. So there is going to be some trial and error while figuring it out. Seems like the most controlled way of doing it would be to leave the UDP`s on and start with the blower pulley that came with the kit. Figure out what belt you need to keep good tension with the UDP`s. Then put it on a dyno and and see what kind of boost you are getting. Then fine tune from there with different blower pulleys.

That saves you from having to swap everything around to get the right combination. You know you want to keep the UDP`s so leave them in the equation the whole time. Make sure you have good belt tension so no slippage. Then try different blower pulleys till you are happy with the boost levels.

You will have to buy another blower pulley, but I don`t see any way around that. Those pulleys aren`t too expensive and you`ve already spent the money on the UDP`s so you want to keep them.

Eric
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bazguitarman

Sounds like you have a good idea. To fine tune the boost level, but still keep your UDP`s to cut down on accessory wear and tear. I would approach it in a different way though. You know the whipple kit is set up to use a certain blower pully size, belt length and with the factory accessory pulleys. So there is going to be some trial and error while figuring it out. Seems like the most controlled way of doing it would be to leave the UDP`s on and start with the blower pulley that came with the kit. Figure out what belt you need to keep good tension with the UDP`s. Then put it on a dyno and and see what kind of boost you are getting. Then fine tune from there with different blower pulleys.

That saves you from having to swap everything around to get the right combination. You know you want to keep the UDP`s so leave them in the equation the whole time. Make sure you have good belt tension so no slippage. Then try different blower pulleys till you are happy with the boost levels.

You will have to buy another blower pulley, but I don`t see any way around that. Those pulleys aren`t too expensive and you`ve already spent the money on the UDP`s so you want to keep them.

Eric

^^^EXACTLY
Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Actually I havent bought UDP's yet, becuase I have planned on S/C since day one. This is just a thought, because I have never heard of anyone doing it.

I am trying to only read about superchargers these days because I dont want people to get tired of answering my what ifs I just thought this was an interesting potential solution.

I here you JRM1900 but with additional hp on tap I dont know how much control I would have. I like to wind it out a couple times everyday to and from work. This is my fun car and DD. I could afford a beater but if you own a GT why wouldnt you want to drive it everyday?

I could afford to change out parts as they break (except maybe a blown engine), but this is my only car and the down time and hassle arent worth it for me.

I know Moosestang is in about the same boat as me as far as what he is looking for, so I float this idea to all, as a what if.

Everyone makes good points, I defineately think it would work but there will be a fair amount of trial and error.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

I agree. I want to drive my stang everyday but I don't want it to be running in the red zone "so to speak." I would like to go f/i one day, but don't want to be pushing the envelope.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's a 7psi kit and it is supposed to be for the automatics, but there's no part number.

Just buy the 8psi pulley. Whipple claims you can run 8-12psi on the HO tune. They told me to expect 420rwhp on the 8psi pulley with the intercooler.

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

I could swer I saw an intercooled 8psi kit on whipples site

Quick Reply: Put some WOAH... in the Whipple HO