Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I be dissappointed? DYNO RUN

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I be dissappointed? DYNO RUN

Don't forget tire diameter and the 3.73's may influence your numbers. I know people can get really hung up on numbers but I always felt the butt dynometer was a pretty good indicator too. Don't get down on your car because of numbers, so many variables can alter the numbers, tune, altitude, people operating the dyno, weather, gears, tire dia. whether it was locked out in 4th, and on and on.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

From what Ive seen, baseline dyno pulls for an auto is in the 250- 255 range.
To give you something to compare to, here is my list of mods and dyno numbers. (from Brents dyno)

3.73's
Water Pump
UDP
O/R H Pipe
2 Chamber Flows
C&L intake w/ Brents 93 Tune
18" wheels with 285's on the back.

289wrhp & 304 torque

Although I wasnt, Brent was kind of impressed with my numbers.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
S2Charlie
2nd Gear Member

They Dyno'ed it in 3rd cause it's an auto... here's the sheet and a video

PICTURE
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...02225242731163

VIDEO
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0gbkmr2PrY
Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

People put way to much faith in dyno numbers. They mean nothing, really. If you had done a base run on the same dyno before your mods then it would mean something.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S2Charlie

They Dyno'ed it in 3rd cause it's an auto... here's the sheet and a video
????? Isn't the 1:1 gear still 4th on the autos? I'm pretty sure they are supposed to dyno it in 4th.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you want to make yourself feel better, go to the the track and make a few runs. Take your best trap speed and plug it into the calculator below.

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

My best trap is 106mph, my car weighs 3650lbs with me in it, 3500lbs for the car and 150lbs for me. My rwhp is 339, that's 400 at the flywheel according to that calculator. My point is these calculators are about as accurate as a dyno at determining actual horsepower, some are closer than others, but they are all just guessing.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Racing at the track factors in something that a dyno doesnt have to worry about....how good of a driver you are......While you might have plenty of power that doesnt mean your car will show it at the track. While i agree that many factors influence a dyno many of you dismiss the dyno numbers as a way measure your power, it takes the human factor out for the most part and it a good way to see how you are doing without having to take it to the track.

As i mentioned before...3rd gear dyno is not correct, they have to lock out in 4th so you basically should have them do it again for free......your $100 was not used as it should have the first time.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Even if you suck, you should still trap about the same every time. I still say dynoing the car is useless if you're not using it to tune the car. It gives you something to brag about, that's it.

I'd rather be able to brag about running 12's naturally aspirated than how much horsepower I made on some dyno.

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Racing at the track factors in something that a dyno doesnt have to worry about....how good of a driver you are......While you might have plenty of power that doesnt mean your car will show it at the track. While i agree that many factors influence a dyno many of you dismiss the dyno numbers as a way measure your power, it takes the human factor out for the most part and it a good way to see how you are doing without having to take it to the track.

As i mentioned before...3rd gear dyno is not correct, they have to lock out in 4th so you basically should have them do it again for free......your $100 was not used as it should have the first time.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang
If you want to make yourself feel better, go to the the track and make a few runs. Take your best trap speed and plug it into the calculator below.

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

My best trap is 106mph, my car weighs 3650lbs with me in it, 3500lbs for the car and 150lbs for me. My rwhp is 339, that's 400 at the flywheel according to that calculator. My point is these calculators are about as accurate as a dyno at determining actual horsepower, some are closer than others, but they are all just guessing.
Hey I like that calculator. My Dynojet run with the mods you see in my sig got me 272.6hp and 268.4 torque. Here's a screen grab of what the calculator gave me.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yep, should have been done in 4th.

Quick Reply: Should I be dissappointed? DYNO RUN