Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default pressure.

hey guys, normally I run like 32 psi in all four tires, and I do have tons of grip, and seems like not enough power to spin the tires.

Now I hear you guys talking about putting 40 psi in your tires.... Is this all the time?

Jsyn, be careful with rotating your tires because the insides will wear out fast at that psi.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: pressure.

I run 34-36psi in all my cars. Always seemed just right.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:12 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Use the pressure that's on the plate for normal driving conditions. It's there for a reason.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

At 40psi would'n't the center of the tire wear out faster than anything?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yes.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I run 36-38 in mine for a little less rolling resistance. I NEVER run 32 or whatever the plate recommends. I read somewhere if you do sustained driving over 90, then you should air up. When I was in Calif, that was the norm and even then, a Vette and a Super Bee walked away from me.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ok.. i just basically answered this in the thread about the 40psi.. but

you want to run no higher than id say like 35 ish.. and no lower than 28 ish..

reason being-at that high pressure (40), yes you are going to get better gas mileage.. BUT.. the savings in gas isnt going to be enough to pay for the tires that you are going to have to buy sooner than expected all becuase of uneven wear.. at that pressure you will have a tire that is egg shaped, and will be wearin more on the center as aposed to all the way across, which is ideal.. (traction, safety, tread wear, etc.)

you also have a higher risk of having a blow out or side wall damage which means you are going to have to buy a new tire, bc no shop will fix that type of thing, and is not safe. the way this happens is by hitting a small bump, or pot hole, or will be really bad if you hit a curb.. DONT HIT A CURB..

any more questions, just PM and i should be able to answer them, i work at discount tire.. hope this helps
-GTstang
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

o and about the 90 mph thing and airing up that little bit more, i would say thats probably not true, but then again, makes some what of sence, but my thinking is that at that speed, there is so much heat being made, and with heat, air expands, and your 38 psi tire, now becomes 41 or 42.. and at that speed, the smallest thing can blow a low profile tire.. see it all the time..

-GTstang
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

32 psi desinged by Ford.....based on weight and balance of car... stick with that IMO
Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 AM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

All true, at 90mph the density of air in the tire is less causing higher pressure, and more risk of tire failure. The thought to "air up" is foolish for running 1/4 miles, (and I've seen people do it)because then your creating less "grip" (henseforth the wrinkle on Dragsters) for launch. In winter you can air up a bit to balance the heavier density of cold air, but not to the extreme of 4-6lbs, you'll be looking at new tires quicker than you'd like.
Usually to run 1-2lbs over the spec won't do damage, but it willNOT increase your ability to burn rubber.

Quick Reply: pressure.