Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New Turbo

ORIGINAL: 07BOSSGT_S197

ORIGINAL: bmk

ah sweet man. what was your total cost for all that? the same amount for a 2nd mustang?
It cost a lot and many late nights researching....
Turbo Kit 4995.95 (blowbyracing)
Fuel upgrade 749.95(lethalperformance)
Eagle rotating assembly 1995.95 (blowbyracing)
Drive shaft 755.00 (blowbyracing)
Spec Stage3 clutch kit 295.00 (got it off an Eleanor look-a-like from a local dyno shop)
Price for watching WRX/STIs, S2000s and camaros disapearing in my rearview mirror? FRIGGIN PRICELESS!!!!!!

There isn't much you can do as for bolt ons with a turbo system and I went with this system because it is safe and you can adjust the boost according to how you drive. I'm starting out with 8lbs then I'll gradually step it up. And then back down just for driving it around. Most FI inductions systems I found were said to create a HUGE amount of heat under the hood and with Supercharged systems its REAL hard to adjust boost to your needs. There is SOOO frigin much you have to do to the engine to make it safe. With my Strut brace I just can't fit a twin-screw blower...and centrifical blowers just are waaaaay too slow on the boost, plus they peg out real early in the RPMs. So this was the best bet for what I wanted. Power straight as soon as I hit the gas, low heat producing, easy boost adjustments from INSIDE the car on the fly! Even if I hadn't swapped out the rotating assembly I could have run between 5-9psi of boost safe on a stock cast block/internals. But I wanted more. And if I feel the need, with my set up I can swap to a bigger Turbo and get (eventually) almost 800RWHP. Just need a bigger blow-off and waste-gate valve.
The turbo kits create the MOST amount of heat under the hood of all the FI kits...

Get yourself a pyrometer gauge. It's a good gauge to have with a turbo IMO. Built motor or not, you have the advantage of easily being able to adjust the boost, but you will not be able to run big boost (14+ psi) on the street with that air to air cooled system. It will create problems on the street even on your new motor. Have to save the big boost for the track. If you can find someone to fab you a water aftercooler, you would have a lot more play in the power you could run as a daily driver.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdback19

7-9 psi with the hellion kit and 9 is pushing it. Oh and get a turbo timer for your car and never shut the car down after beating on it.
OOOO...I had forgotten about that!!! I have a boost controller but a turbo timer is a good idea. Also I'm thinking of getting a Water/Meth system to run a lower boost. Plus I'm thinking maybe a cowl or some sort of heat extraction hood. Those produce good results??
With a turbo - heat is your ENEMY. Anything to reduce temps is a GOOD thing. A good flowing hood is a good idea and for starters, get yourself a turbo blanket.

Example - http://www.forcedinductions.com/product7.htm
Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Even the Hellion/Turbonetics system? I talked with some guys that had a similar system and another couple guys that had twin-screw blowers. They said a Turb system creates less heat. Is this not true with the S197 body style?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

ORIGINAL: jdback19

7-9 psi with the hellion kit and 9 is pushing it. Oh and get a turbo timer for your car and never shut the car down after beating on it.
OOOO...I had forgotten about that!!! I have a boost controller but a turbo timer is a good idea. Also I'm thinking of getting a Water/Meth system to run a lower boost. Plus I'm thinking maybe a cowl or some sort of heat extraction hood. Those produce good results??
With a turbo - heat is your ENEMY. Anything to reduce temps is a GOOD thing. A good flowing hood is a good idea and for starters, get yourself a turbo blanket.

got a turbo blanket....I kind of had the common sense to know that cold is always better than hot when it comes to ANY kind of FI.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Even the Hellion/Turbonetics system? I talked with some guys that had a similar system and another couple guys that had twin-screw blowers. They said a Turb system creates less heat. Is this not true with the S197 body style?
It has nothing to do with body styles. That's why I said get yourself a pyrometer. Your 'average' temp in your exhaust housing should be about 1000º-1200º degrees. You'll see 1400-1500º when you're on it. That's HOT!...lol Also understand how a turbo works - utlizing exhaust gasses = heat. Now factor in the main thing point which is most all of the s/c kits are water cooled and the turbo kits are air to air cooled.

This is why porsche switched to watercooled in 1997 and they instantly lost their reputation for having faulty cars. The older porsches that are air to air cooled suffer 90% of their issues from running too hot.

You may also be comparing apples to oranges. Dont' compare heat on a whipple running 10 psi to a turbo running 4 psi. You have to compare that whipple at equal boost levels. As long as you keep your boost respectable, you shouod be fine on your built motor. And you can run as much as you can handle at the track. I'm saying just don't try to run 14+ around on the street or you won't last long. I made great power with a turbo. I only got rid of it cause I couldn't make big power with a daily driver with it and that is what I was looking for in my particular car. Just pay attention to any mods that reduce temps. A larger aftermarket rad & Eh20 pump are good mods too.

Is your kit a draw (suck) through or a blow through? Another good way to make sure you are on top of things and getting the most accurate performance from your turbo is to make sure it is set up as a blow through. (reads are made AFTER the turbo and are exact where on a draw through the meter 'guesses' before passing through the turbo)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

be safe and buy a little turbo blanket. It's not worth a turbo.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

It has nothing to do with body styles. That's why I said get yourself a pyrometer. Your 'average' temp in your exhaust housing should be about 1000º-1200º degrees. You'll see 1400-1500º when you're on it. That's HOT!...lol Also understand how a turbo works - utlizing exhaust gasses = heat. Now factor in the main thing point which is most all of the s/c kits are water cooled and the turbo kits are air to air cooled.

This is why porsche switched to watercooled in 1997 and they instantly lost their reputation for having faulty cars. The older porsches that are air to air cooled suffer 90% of their issues from running too hot.

You may also be comparing apples to oranges. Dont' compare heat on a whipple running 10 psi to a turbo running 4 psi. You have to compare that whipple at equal boost levels. As long as you keep your boost respectable, you shouod be fine on your built motor. And you can run as much as you can handle at the track. I'm saying just don't try to run 14+ around on the street or you won't last long. I made great power with a turbo. I only got rid of it cause I couldn't make big power with a daily driver with it and that is what I was looking for in my particular car. Just pay attention to any mods that reduce temps. A larger aftermarket rad & Eh20 pump are good mods too.

Is your kit a draw (suck) through or a blow through? Another good way to make sure you are on top of things and getting the most accurate performance from your turbo is to make sure it is set up as a blow through. (reads are made AFTER the turbo and are exact where on a draw through the meter 'guesses' before passing through the turbo)
Why don't you live close to me so I could keep you in my back pocket!? Anyway, I want to stay strictly street for now. I have a lot to learn and get used to before I put this car on a track/strip and start competing. I have looked at the larger cooling systems and high flow pumps...even the electric water pumps....not sure how effective they are though. Anyway, of course with most mods, money is the issue. I had thought, after the fact about what I was comparing, unfortunately fingers go faster than the brain sometimes. I have the Autometer Cobalt series (boost,EGT,wideband O2) gauges. I figured those were going to let me monitor what was going on with my engine the most. As for the draw/blow question...it is being set up as a blow. I have a friend (whom is a Subaru WRX fanatic unfortunately), so he's been coaching me along.But he has stopped me from making stupid mistakes...like almost buying a twin-screw blower....there just isn't the room under the hood with my strut tower brace and I really didn't want to yank it out, find a hydraulic press and bend it out. The heat question though really sticks in my mind. I have founda water aftercooler from a beat up eclipse that a guy was selling (his wife crashed it into a dear). can that be retro fitted???
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The turbo kits create the MOST amount of heat under the hood of all the FI kits...
Ahhhh, yeah. Better do some more research. I bought the whipple because I read it produced less heat than some other TS's.

Oh and if I had to choose between a twin screw or strut brace.......let's just say i wouldn't need to choose.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Oh and if I had to choose between a twin screw or strut brace.......let's just say i wouldn't need to choose.
+1
Old 08-30-2007, 11:44 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Thats why the turbo from my Hellion kit is at turbonetics getting rebuilt right now it got way to hot and me constantly beating on the car in the high texas heat didnt help either and before it blew up it was pushing 17 psi guess i will tone it down on the next one and get a snow kit.

Quick Reply: New Turbo