Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Turbo

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Oh and if I had to choose between a twin screw or strut brace.......let's just say i wouldn't need to choose.
Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought that was a stupid excuse to pick turbo over a sc lol! And to think... the stb doesnt even help handling on our cars, lmao.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked out Coolingmist.com. I heard their pumps were geared specially for water/meth systems, whereas the Snow kits were just generic pumps.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:15 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nk

Oh and if I had to choose between a twin screw or strut brace.......let's just say i wouldn't need to choose.
Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought that was a stupid excuse to pick turbo over a sc lol! And to think... the stb doesnt even help handling on our cars, lmao.
ok I respect the knowledge base in the forum, but blasting someone for their "choice" when you haven't even heard or asked about what OTHER considerations were taken for the latter. Doesn't make sense to me really. This is my thrid mustang (had a 99 GT and an 03 Mach 1) I've seen the dyno sheets for twinscrews, blowers, turbos and centrifical SCs. And price had a lot to do with it to. I love the looks and power output of the Whipple, Magnacharger and Kennebells. Unfortunately the full up kits are pretty pricey. Now in a year or so, that may not be the case and I may sell or ditch the Turbo. For now though, being active duty military, This seemed to be the practical, logical and fun way to go for the budget. And the tower brace....Just thinking about the physics of inertia going 120+ mph and taking 30mph corners at 80 or 90, even a little help keeping the tires to stick would be a benefeit. I would tend to believe the guys at Steeda where they're paid to research products and test them over and over. I have never heard of anything they've put out to be a bunk product...except the TB Spacer (I still can't figure out what that has to do with any kind of performance, it just looks pretty).
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

07BOSS you said you were from CT, me too...where do you live there are actually a couple good shops for mustangs here. Are you a member of the late model mustang club? lmmc-ct.com a good bunch of local guys.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Johnnie D

07BOSS you said you were from CT, me too...where do you live there are actually a couple good shops for mustangs here. Are you a member of the late model mustang club? lmmc-ct.com a good bunch of local guys.
Hey Johnnie, I'm in Norwich. I had not heard of them...till now. Most of the guys in my car club (tunernetwork) all have WRXs or S2000s. I'm one of three, well two, guys now with mustangs. The other guy, well kid actually, just didn't respect a rear wheel drive speed machine and destroyed his 03 Sonic Blue Mach 1. He hit a curb doing 90mph trying to take a 10mph corner. Anyway, the kid was alright but the mustang was completely destoryed.
Anyway, the one shop I know of XXTuning really didn't do that great of a job putting in my new gears, CMDP and headers. I had an exhaust leak coming out of the shop and they never re-tuned my car for the new gears headers and CMDP. I had the tune loaded from brenspeed on my Xcal but they never hooked it up...after I told them to.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07BOSSGT_S197

And price had a lot to do with it to. I love the looks and power output of the Whipple, Unfortunately the full up kits are pretty pricey.
You paid $4995 for your turbo kit and $749 for the GT500 fuel pumps. That right there is the cost of the full whipple HO kit which comes with the same pumps, that is for everything to make 500 crank HP or maybe more with a custom tune. Your math doesn't add up, if you just like turbos better then just say you like the turbo systems. Hell I love the sound of the STS rear mounted twin turbos, but they are a little pricey.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

And price had a lot to do with it to. I love the looks and power output of the Whipple, Unfortunately the full up kits are pretty pricey.
You paid $4995 for your turbo kit and $749 for the GT500 fuel pumps. That right there is the cost of the full whipple HO kit which comes with the same pumps, that is for everything to make 500 crank HP or maybe more with a custom tune.
I talked with brent at brenspeed and he actually set me straight...its the GT40 pumps/kit @ $314...I had gotten that one confused with the kit from BBR...OOPS!!!! But you are sort of right moose, Turbos are nice, its just I can't see how the cooling on a twin screw, like the Whipple HO, is more effective at the same amount of boost (i.e. 8psi for the whipple and turbo). I mean the charger sits on the block!Seeing the cooling effects of the twin screws:turbos. Plus, the cooling is different air/water vice air/air. Which really produces less heat @ the same pressure and then there's the question of how much HP/TQ is actually being put out. Anyway, bouncing back and forth again....THANKS!!!
I mean honestly, which is better for a street racer/auto cross vehicle? I would say Turbo...but now I'm rethinking that...
Old 08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nk

ok I respect the knowledge base in the forum, but blasting someone for their "choice" when you haven't even heard or asked about what OTHER considerations were taken for the latter. Doesn't make sense to me really. This is my thrid mustang (had a 99 GT and an 03 Mach 1) I've seen the dyno sheets for twinscrews, blowers, turbos and centrifical SCs. And price had a lot to do with it to. I love the looks and power output of the Whipple, Magnacharger and Kennebells. Unfortunately the full up kits are pretty pricey. Now in a year or so, that may not be the case and I may sell or ditch the Turbo. For now though, being active duty military, This seemed to be the practical, logical and fun way to go for the budget. And the tower brace....Just thinking about the physics of inertia going 120+ mph and taking 30mph corners at 80 or 90, even a little help keeping the tires to stick would be a benefeit. I would tend to believe the guys at Steeda where they're paid to research products and test them over and over. I have never heard of anything they've put out to be a bunk product...except the TB Spacer (I still can't figure out what that has to do with any kind of performance, it just looks pretty).
First off I never bashed you for deciding to go turbo isntead of supercharging, I simply laughed at the reasoning that you provided us behind your decision. The only reason you stated was "because I cant fit a twin screw under my strut tower brace", and unfortunately, since I cant read minds, thats the only reason I knew of. I decided within myself that your statement and reasoning was funny, therefore I laughed at it. I never bashed your choice in turbo over sc, so you should maybe read my post again, since you didnt seem to understand it the first time. It was about the REASON, not the specific choice. Im hoping that maybe by now youll realize that I wasnt talking about your choice, yet your REASONING behind it. If not, I can surely repeat myself some more.

O, and the fact that sc kits were more expensive, but of course Moose has already shown you that they are in fact in the same price range as turbos, so I wont get into that. Theres nothing wrong with going turbo, you could just say "I want to go turbo.", you dont have to make up bs and use stupid excuses. (Otherwise people will laugh, and God forbid that.)

As far as the strut tower brace, I wont even argue with you there, because its been proven over and over that theyre merely for aesthetic purposes. If you believe differently, feel free to use the search feature and do some research on the strut tower brace, it has been covered MANY times here before.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

You paid $4995 for your turbo kit and $749 for the GT500 fuel pumps. That right there is the cost of the full whipple HO kit which comes with the same pumps, that is for everything to make 500 crank HP or maybe more with a custom tune.
I talked with brent at brenspeed and he actually set me straight...its the GT40 pumps/kit @ $314...I had gotten that one confused with the kit from BBR...OOPS!!!! But you are sort of right moose, Turbos are nice, its just I can't see how the cooling on a twin screw, like the Whipple HO, is more effective at the same amount of boost (i.e. 8psi for the whipple and turbo). I mean the charger sits on the block!Seeing the cooling effects of the twin screws:turbos. Plus, the cooling is different air/water vice air/air. Which really produces less heat @ the same pressure and then there's the question of how much HP/TQ is actually being put out. Anyway, bouncing back and forth again....THANKS!!!
I mean honestly, which is better for a street racer/auto cross vehicle? I would say Turbo...but now I'm rethinking that...
Click back a page and read one of the responses in your very own thread, where a very knowledgeable, senior member has a great post.

FordFanBoy can answer that question for you as well. He had a turbo and switched it out for a twin screw because it wasnt streetable enough.

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

The turbo kits create the MOST amount of heat under the hood of all the FI kits...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Go turbo and never look back but remember with forced induction comes spending money.

Quick Reply: New Turbo