Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

04 GT vs 05-07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
wentw1tj5773
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 04 GT vs 05-07 GT

The new throttle sucks it is nothing like a cable driven throttle. What auto manufacture puts torque limiting parameters on there sports cars. DUMB. The Tr3650 is an awesome Trans but when you let ford get a hold of it they find way to make it work like crap. On the SN-95 they used shifting forks rather than an external rod. The seats in the new car are very hard and you slid all over in the car. The clutch is hydraulic rather than cable driven. I would have a cable driven clutch any day over a hydraulic clutch. This one stills get me to no understanding why would you make your GT motor with junk internals but you but all the good parts in the V6 crank, rods and block. With this said, I feel as ford is trying to make there cars look good, that is fine but come on for $30,000 you should at least 5.4L in the stock GT. Another thing ford always brags about is there shaker sound systems witch IMO they are all junk ford is not one that puts good sounding system in any thing they make. I am not buying a GT for the sound system I am buying It for the power. There is not one reason that I can think of, why they should not bring back the old 5.0W push rod motor or the 351W push rob motor. They would smoke the new 4.6L 3V motor hands down; you don’t need a motor that red lines at 7000 RPM’S 5000 would be just fine because the torque would be the entire rpm range. This is based on the cars I have had

87 5.0 GT insane car
2001 SVT cobra
2002 GT
Current car 2006 Mustang GT. 5spd.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white07
seriously almost everything is diffrent except the mustang part and ford maing them.
Hi white07,

The Mustang part is the best part of what makes the S197 Mustangsso attractive to so many people. First for those of use who were there the styling cues from the first and second gen Mustangs are a key visual feature. For those who were not lucky enough to have been there when the original Mustangs werethe car toown the simple fact that the car is good looking, practical, fast and so much improved over the previous generationMustangs in terms ofhandling, power and ride for really no more money makes it an instant hit and a no brainer. Even people who normally were lined up to buy the latest EVO or STi were paying $5-$10K over window to own the new S197GT's when theycame out. I think the S197GT is an impressive value when compared with what you can buy from theJapanese and certainlythe Germans which is where I come from though I did own and restore and drive a couple of vintage first and second gen Mustangs.

Ford does still make the Mustang but they no longer make the car at the old home of the Mustang. The newer S197 Mustangs are made at the Auto Aliance plant which at the time the Mustang was introduced was also making Mazda 6's and Jags. This is an AMAZNG auto building plant and if you areever given the chance totake a tourdo yourself a favor and tak that tour! This plant is an amazing facility forit's ability to alter and fine tunethe manufacture ofall key chassis and body panels right in house and the fact that Mazda 6's and Mustangs roll off the same assembly line! This auto plant is truely an amazing place andas I understand it already superceeded in design and capabilities with a new plant being built that can go beyond the AAA Plant. The old Ford DAP (the realhome of Ford vehicles for about 75 years?),is dead and gone butit would blowHenry Ford'smind if hecould see what they have done in the last few years.

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pLaGuIeNtO
I used to had a 2003 GT (the one in my signature) with some bolt-ons and in that way I was able to beat 2005+ GT´s, but now that I own a 2007 honestly I can say that stock vs stock the 2007 walks away easily.

See you later!
You didn't know that before? With the exception of the GT500 the 2005-2008 cars are almost unchanged except for unimportant stuff like color and trim. 2009 is the first chance that we will see any significant changes to the cars and these will likelyonly be cosmetic and minor updates to the powertrain.

HTH!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wentw1tj5773
The new throttle sucks it is nothing like a cable driven throttle. What auto manufacture puts torque limiting parameters on there sports cars. DUMB. The Tr3650 is an awesome Trans but when you let ford get a hold of it they find way to make it work like crap. On the SN-95 they used shifting forks rather than an external rod. The seats in the new car are very hard and you slid all over in the car. The clutch is hydraulic rather than cable driven. I would have a cable driven clutch any day over a hydraulic clutch. This one stills get me to no understanding why would you make your GT motor with junk internals but you but all the good parts in the V6 crank, rods and block. With this said, I feel as ford is trying to make there cars look good, that is fine but come on for $30,000 you should at least 5.4L in the stock GT. Another thing ford always brags about is there shaker sound systems witch IMO they are all junk ford is not one that puts good sounding system in any thing they make. I am not buying a GT for the sound system I am buying It for the power. There is not one reason that I can think of, why they should not bring back the old 5.0W push rod motor or the 351W push rob motor. They would smoke the new 4.6L 3V motor hands down; you don’t need a motor that red lines at 7000 RPM’S 5000 would be just fine because the torque would be the entire rpm range. This is based on the cars I have had

87 5.0 GT insane car
2001 SVT cobra
2002 GT
Current car 2006 Mustang GT. 5spd.
Hi wentw1tj,

If the new fly by wire throttle sucks so bad and you prefer cable clutches why not just go back to the stone ages and buy a vintage car? The drive by wire throttle is not new, it is justa little new to Ford and it will get better from the factory as time goes by. There is nothing wrong with the idea or the hardware, that's in your head and and the factory software that was flashed to the ECU.All of thebest tuners have long sincemanaged to change the throttle response to react more like a cable throttle. Go get a professional tune and you will likely be much happier with the way the throttle responds to your foot.

To answer your statement or question"What auto manufactureputs torque limiting parameters on there [sic] sports cars. DUMB." EVERYBODY doesthis from VW to Ferrari.

What are you talking about? Shift forks? ALLmodern productionconventionalautomovtive manual transmissions use shift forks inside the transmission! Some of the best street sportscars in the world use shift-rods to actuate their transmissions and use hydralic cylinders to actuate their clutches. Just because you don't understand how it works doesn't mean it is bad. Would you prefer your cars still used cable operated brakes?

As to the rest of your absurd assertions about engines where did you get suchidiotic ideas?Many of the best sports cars in the world costing many times the cost a newMustang use smaller engines that producemore power. Smaller displacement is not such a disadvantage as you seem to think and from an engineering POV offers major advantages over larger displacement engines. If the 5.0l and 351 Windsorpushrod motors could smoke the 4.6l modulars why are they beating them in the road racing series? The Ford GT is a modular motor, do you think it's crappy too?

Of course my opinions arebased on someof the cars I have had the pleasureto ownincluding:

914-6 w/Weltmiester/Koni autocross suspension and 3.0l911Sengine, Webers
911,G-body carw/fabricated road race suspension and3.2l roadrace engine with modified F/I
VWG60 supercharged1.8l car w/200HP atthe wheels, Neuspeed springs/bars,tie bars,Bilstien Sports
VWGTI 8v and16v, cams, reworked ECU's,Neuspeed springs/bars/tie bars,various Koni& Bilstien Sports
VW GLI 16v varients, ported heads, cams, reworked ECU,Neuspeed springs/bars/tie bars, Bilstien Sports
BMW 2002 w/Webers, Konidampers w/Alpina springs and bars, chassis stiffeners, triangulatedtie bars F/R
2.0l Capriw/Konicoilovers, monoleaf rear, 4wheel discs,motor w/Webers, ported heads/cams,225hp/1900lbs.
Ford Fiesta GT 1.6l w/full Bilstien FIA rallye suspension, race engine w/Webers, 3.25hrsJuneMtn. liftsto L.A.
Boss 302 restored, loved the looks, hated the handling and lack of real brakes
'66 2+2but upgraded w/'66 Shelby bits, Monte Carlo bar,Konis,relocated A-arms, factoryLCA's, discs etc.
S197GT, mycurrentwork in progresswith mildmods mostly shown in signature
Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nicely stated f1fan. i feel fortunate, that i haven't
become the target of your wrath just yet...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron
nicely stated f1fan. i feel fortunate, that i haven't
become the target of your wrath just yet...
Hi hammeron,

Sorry for the rant, but [sm=idontcare.gif]As far as I am concerned everyone iswelcome to express their opinion but whenthe opinionsare based on magical thinking like a 6 yearold would use (trust me on this one,I have 3 kids),false assertions anda large dose of B.S.I just can't standit! I feel compelled to speak out about it.

LOL!You aren'tso much lucky asyoujust don't seem tosay stupid stuff. [sm=smiley1.gif]

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well until you retire, i'm gonna say as little as
possible

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

LOL!You aren'tso much lucky asyoujust don't seem tosay stupid stuff. [sm=smiley1.gif]

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi hammeron,

Please don't let my big mouth stop you from posting! I love to hear from people who think about stuff and ask hard questions. A lot of the time I have to actually think about stuffpeople write before I reply though more likely I'm too freaking busy orhave to work and can't reply quickly. 4,000 posts? You must post a lot!

Cheers!

ORIGINAL: hammeron
well until you retire, i'm gonna say as little as
possible

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

nobodys going to keep hammeron from posting
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]

ORIGINAL: howarmat