Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Truth about mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM
brosius190

Default Truth about mods?

I have a question about modifications. My friend's dad is a mechanic and when I first got the car he explained that ford spends all this money on building the car and engine and so on. The bottom line is that he was saying that mods to the engine might affect how the engine runs because its a foreign part in the system. I was wondering if this was true, and if not what are some good mods to get? I already have a axle back exhaust but I want to do some more things.

Thanks

'07 GT
Tungsten Gray on red
5 speed

[IMG]local://upfiles/79484/DE467EC6BF96431DABA17536B6E44C26.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Truth about mods?

Your friend's Dad is correct. Ford spends a bunch of money in the development of these cars. But their corporate goals are different than ours. Ford is trying to optimize fuel efficiency, emissions, etc, at the lowest possible cost to maximize their profits. As owners, we are looking to improve the car's performance, and we have many options to achieve that goal. That's where the fun factor kicks in.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Modding your engine wont hurt the car unless you dont follow the rules of modding!LOL!If you install something wrong of course you will have problems.But there are some mods that really benefit MPG while giving extra HP!A C.A.I. is one of these mods.With the right tune you will get a big jump in HP while gaining MPG.Fact is,,,these motors love to be modded!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
brosius190

thanks a lot guys
Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Vegasfilter
3rd Gear Member

welcome! and well said Hopup!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Your mechanic is right. Bu twhat he does not understand is that Ford has to create a program and a vehicle and that will work in all climates, altitudes, temperture ranges and driving conditions. Ford also has a warrunty they are responsible for. So when Ford or any other manufacture makes a vehicle they are trying to save money and prevent things from getting broken. Some programmed features in our cars are, drive by wire throttle, torque control, knock sensing, timing adjustments with temperature changes, keepig the RPMs up during shifts to keep drivability and so on. There are many. This is why you will occasionally see some put a new tune on a vehicle and have it react negatively. It's rare but it happens. Like most of us on here, the easiest and most bang for the buck mods are: gears, CAI, tune and axle back. Those will create an entire new vehicle and you will love the results. Enjoy your modding.

I'll be selling all my stuff here shortly if you are interested. . .
Old 09-11-2007, 04:18 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brosius190

I have a question about modifications. My friend's dad is a mechanic and when I first got the car he explained that ford spends all this money on building the car and engine and so on. The bottom line is that he was saying that mods to the engine might affect how the engine runs because its a foreign part in the system. I was wondering if this was true, and if not what are some good mods to get? I already have a axle back exhaust but I want to do some more things.
This mechanic is naive thinking Ford and the other manufacturers produce perfect cars that cannot be improved upon. Get real man.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

I would get a custom tune.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

He's saying that...cause he knows your gonna ask him to fix your car after you break it after beating on it...

Quick Reply: Truth about mods?