Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Complete Car Build or S/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:04 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Complete Car Build or S/C

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Alright well I got some great news that has potentially changed my strategy.

I got an award at work that came with some $$$. Enough to combine with what I have saved and do a S/C. Long story but have a deal with the wife no S/C till the warranty runs out. So I would have to wait a while but the S/C is gauranteed. Painful to wait but I could do it. If I went with the other option I could buy parts a few here and there to spread out the fun andI could start today.
WTF.... warranty was an issue now its not.......
Sorry misunderstood. thought you were talking about not wanting to "void" the warranty. My mistake. That is really just a date that I have to wait for.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well the tally is currently 12 to 13 in favor of the Supercharger.

I am going to wait about a month and see if I still feel the same way, but I think I want to do the boltons and have the fun of modding it and making it my own. Maybe someday down the line I will put a small nitrous shot on it or something.

Thanks guys appreciate the input.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Supercharger FTW. You can run 8-10lbs all day with a proper tune and not have to worry about blowing anything. You may need a new clutch, but so what. You can have your fun doing little mods here and there by focusing on suspension, brakes, appearance, interior etc. They're all fun things to do. I would NOT waste my time and money building the bottom end of these cars with your intent on12's, unlessyou blow something.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:13 PM
bchataroo
2nd Gear Member

If you only expect to get low 12's from the blower, then do the complete build. There will not be that much difference in et's. The LT's will give the car a much deeper sound. Don't forget to lower it. I think that is what makes these cars look the best.

Later
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I've said it time and time again there is NOTHING as great as a built all NA motor making real power. Soooo wonderful.

But.... Lets be realistic here. Nothing has the price per performance result of a S/C, and on top of that the fast time to get it up and running and ready to go. Its the way to go in most regular situations.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I was thumbing through the new MMFF mag last night and finally got to read the article where they put the Whipple HO upgrade on their project car.

11.5 @ 120mph [sm=hail.gif]

Wow. Thats nuts and on an automatic too. And in the article they have a guy from FRPP explain that the only thing keeping them from putting the HO kit out for everyone is they think the auto trans wont hold up. Well with the manual trans and a new clutch it sounds like they dont think its a big deal at all. Hmmmmmm. Well if I stretch my budget just a little I think I could do...

Whipple HO $5800
Boost and A/F Gauge$1000
Spec 2Clutch & Flywheel with install $1600 (Is that price close?)
Steeda Drag Pack susp 1 & 2 with install$1600
Wheels and Tires $2000
---------------------------------------------------------------
$12,000

11's here I come

Would you guys install the clutch prior to the S/C or wait till it goes out. I figure if I am nice to it for a while it should last about 10k miles, and why replace it if it is still good. I have never had a clutch fail but I assume the warning signs are there early enough that you know the end is near.

Yeah I wouldnt build up anything else unless it broke. But if it does, something bulletproof is going in to replace it.

I will just start at the top and work my way down the list as $$ becomes available.

Now its just a waiting game. I think I will invest the money I got in some CD's so it can chip in on some mods too.

Its official I am giddy like a little school girl[sm=happy046.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Listen, I don't really agree with your comment about dumping 20K in a 25K car being 'irresponsible' when you have a family. I have put that into my car and I have a family. It's all about economics. For YOU, it may not make sense, but for another's financial situation, it may be just fine. I wanted a 650 hp new car and if you consider what the options are, my 55K investment was a great one in comparison to what it would cost me to get this kind of power out of another new car. I still have far less money in my car than a new stock Z06 or Viper would cost me and they aren't even in my league at the track.

Having gotten that off my chest, I really try to listen (read) what people say when talking about their needs and wants and I really think you already know the answer to your question.

From what you layed out, it's a no brainer to go for the complete build and forgot about the FI for now. You'll have a bitchin car you can enjoy and a warranty on top for a piece of mind.

You jump out with the whipple post and that was confusing. Perhaps you really want to go FI but you are looking for support and confidence to make the jump???
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I've been debating with myself the last few days, Whether to go F/I or stay N/A...I will never sell this car. I'm Leaning to Buyning a new built motor w/forged internals(298 cu/in 3v) p/p the heads, LT, and run the highesty shot of giggle gas posible for my setup. I'd be closer to 360 whp on the built motor, 600+ whp on gas and I can buy the block w/ a nitrous grind cam and all other mods while staying NA for +/- 15k and even doing most of the work myself while having a great street car on motor....
Old 09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

In all honesty, if I had to do it all over again - that's pretty much would I would do except I would build out from a Triton block...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Listen, I don't really agree with your comment about dumping 20K in a 25K car being 'irresponsible' when you have a family. I have put that into my car and I have a family. It's all about economics. For YOU, it may not make sense, but for another's financial situation, it may be just fine. I wanted a 650 hp new car and if you consider what the options are, my 55K investment was a great one in comparison to what it would cost me to get this kind of power out of another new car. I still have far less money in my car than a new stock Z06 or Viper would cost me and they aren't even in my league at the track.
+1

depends on your circumstances.... someone making 6 figures/year and has a 7 figures in savings/investment..... droping 20k is easy and not an issue...heck 40k is not an issue...on the otherhand....if your living on 35K a year and have little savings then its "irresponsible" a generalization like yours is wrong!

Quick Reply: Complete Car Build or S/C