Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3 hour oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default 3 hour oil change

[&:].. Well, i started my oil change like normal, drained old oil etc. and went to take off the filter. The filter spun off easy at first, then hit a hard spot, i couldnt spin it with 1 hand so i put more pressure with 2 and got it off. Something was wrong at this point i didnt notice, the threads on the stud on the set screw it went onto were messed up. I then took the new filter, screwed it on and put in 6 quarts. I started it up and lookud under and it was shooting out oil. Not 2 second after i started it i shut it down. It lost approx 4 quarts. I went under, looked and eventually found that the oil filter wasnt fully seated, theyre was approx a 1/8 inch gap between the seal and the mating surface. It had got very tight by hand from hitting the mauled section of threads. Anyways, i pulled out the stud, took a thread file to it, and put it back in, then a new filter( just to be sure) and 4 more quarts and it was running. This time it didnt leak any. Im kinda upset at myself that i didnt notice it wasnt fully on, although it did spun around 3-4 times fully. Itwas my first time oil change on my stang so i didnt know what to expect on a different car. Im not sure if the threads were damnaged previously or from when iw as taking the old filter out. I have 1 question though. When i filled it back up i put in 4 quarts and its a little over, my guess is .5~ quarts, the oil pressure guage reads a slight bit to the right of center and i get a slight smell of oil buring when sitting still. IS it alright to leave it like this and let it burn off, or should i go drain the exact amount out. Anyways... it was a loooong day btw car is a 2006 4.6L-Jon
Old 09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
nate2953
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 3 hour oil change

good job catching the problem in time, coulda been BAD. Anyway, i would go in tomorrow morning and redo the oil change, minus the filter. its worth the 6 qts of synthetic for peace of mind, which is hard to come by these days. Just my .02 good luck boss
Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i did my oil change today too

i would make sure the oil level is between
the marks, on the dip stick if possible
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Where did the pressure guage normally sit at? My Cobra sat directly in the middle, my Saleen sits a bit past center. I've heard that the oil pressure guage is more of a threshold reading (e.g. reads a certain threshold of pressure to read normal and as soon as it goes below that threshold.....the guage plummets).

The smell is likely the old oilthat got on the block burning off.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Where did the pressure guage normally sit at? My Cobra sat directly in the middle, my Saleen sits a bit past center. I've heard that the oil pressure guage is more of a threshold reading (e.g. reads a certain threshold of pressure to read normal and as soon as it goes below that threshold.....the guage plummets).

The smell is likely the old oilthat got on the block burning off.
+1, and if you're a bit high (with the engine cold) back out the drain plug to where it's close to coming out, but keep your hand on it; let what you think is about a 1/2 toa whole qt out. Hand tighten the drain plug and check the dipstick. When you get it at or below the mark where you want it to be, go under and finsih tightening the drain plug (DONT FORGET THAT!!!!!). Wipe away any oil under there that you can see. If you drained out a bit too much simply add small amounts and keep checking the dip stick.

I mentioned when engine is cold partly because you need to keep your hand on the drain plug as you drip/draw some off.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:41 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

wow. Took me less than 20 min.

well, sorry about your troubles.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

^ haha, yepp....3 hours? Not even worth my time...thats when i'd take it to a garage! haha
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I take it to the stealership...
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 AM
rravolt
2nd Gear Member

added headaches that "could be" so i just pay the 40 bucks and have someone else do it mostly the stealership and i watch them very closely and when theyre done i go out lookin on the lot at the gt's and when a salesman comes out i start askin him questions about it that i know they dont know and then wear them down on a price for a new one then i tell them im not interested anymore and drive away in mine i once got a 07 gt down to 22000 out the door
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

if i did take it to an oilchange place and they pulled off the oil filter, saw some mesed up threads, what would they do? tighten it even more for the new filter till it seats even thou the threadsare messed up? replace the stud? or what? anyways, problem is fixed and oil is a little high and i think the oil smell was from the excpess buring off the block. -Jon

Quick Reply: 3 hour oil change