Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GURU APPROVED EXHAUST OPTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GURU APPROVED EXHAUST OPTION

I have the Steeda A/B and always assumed they were the same as the Borlas, maybe I'll have to get a sound clip up, and compare it to the Borla videos.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

bump

ORIGINAL: Bigbishjas

Im unable to listen to this clip since Im at work but will definately listen tonight. Yesterday I went to American Racing Headers and had long tubes slapped on withan off road H-pipe with the MACs which where already on. Let me tell you that the raspy tinny trumpeting sound is too unbearable for myself. Im debating on going back to stock, but after reading this thread Im now liking what Im hearing about these Steeda axle backs. My question is: If I were to go back to stock mufflers will it help the annoying trumpet to some extent?Next questionis ifI were to go with the Steeda Axle backs will it sound as described below with the long tubes I added or will this all change with the long tubes? I did listena clip on thatextensive exhaustthread of the LT, ORH with stock mufflers and itsounded pretty good. To say the least Im very dissappointedwith the sound Im getting now...im actually quite embarrased. Any suggestions on this would be greatful. Thank you.

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

Steeda axlebacks and pypes offroad h pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOo7T...er&search=

took a ride in this car last night, experienced the sound from all angles. let me just say, its incredible. very, very clean. no discernable trumpeting; didn't notice enough drone to be a major problem (there is some drone). its calm under idle, and when revved up sounds very intimidating. wot is animalistic. not nasty, not dirty. the most tangible iteration of the sound of power i can describe. from inside the car, (this car had 4.10's, udps, CAI, tune, this exhaust setup, and sway bar removed) the front of the car flies up and the exhaust just makes the power sound like its coming from everywhere, including under the hood. it really makes the car feel violent, the way it should be. the test drive was in the rain, so 1st-3rd gears were just spinning, but occaisionally 3rd gear held on. the sound of the exhaust is incredible.

im pretty sure that steeda is different from borla. its not as surpressed, you get more tonal range; more sonic definition. its beautiful.

a lot of people, after searching through countless clips, just want an exhaust that they can't go wrong with. something that will sound really good and will put a smile on their face; WITHOUT RISK OF SOUNDING BAD. i can tell you now, this exhaust is your best bet. from behind the car, under part throttle, it burbles and makes all the right noises. i can't describe how good this exhaust sounds.

enjoy.

any questions?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Im unable to listen to this clip since Im at work but will definately listen tonight. Yesterday I went to American Racing Headers and had long tubes slapped on withan off road H-pipe with the MACs which where already on. Let me tell you that the raspy tinny trumpeting sound is too unbearable for myself. Im debating on going back to stock, but after reading this thread Im now liking what Im hearing about these Steeda axle backs. My question is: If I were to go back to stock mufflers will it help the annoying trumpet to some extent?Next questionis ifI were to go with the Steeda Axle backs will it sound as described below with the long tubes I added or will this all change with the long tubes? I did listena clip on thatextensive exhaustthread of the LT, ORH with stock mufflers and itsounded pretty good. To say the least Im very dissappointedwith the sound Im getting now...im actually quite embarrased. Any suggestions on this would be greatful. Thank you.

took a ride in this car last night, experienced the sound from all angles. let me just say, its incredible. very, very clean. no discernable trumpeting; didn't notice enough drone to be a major problem (there is some drone). its calm under idle, and when revved up sounds very intimidating. wot is animalistic. not nasty, not dirty. the most tangible iteration of the sound of power i can describe. from inside the car, (this car had 4.10's, udps, CAI, tune, this exhaust setup, and sway bar removed) the front of the car flies up and the exhaust just makes the power sound like its coming from everywhere, including under the hood. it really makes the car feel violent, the way it should be. the test drive was in the rain, so 1st-3rd gears were just spinning, but occaisionally 3rd gear held on. the sound of the exhaust is incredible.

im pretty sure that steeda is different from borla. its not as surpressed, you get more tonal range; more sonic definition. its beautiful.

a lot of people, after searching through countless clips, just want an exhaust that they can't go wrong with. something that will sound really good and will put a smile on their face; WITHOUT RISK OF SOUNDING BAD. i can tell you now, this exhaust is your best bet. from behind the car, under part throttle, it burbles and makes all the right noises. i can't describe how good this exhaust sounds.

enjoy.

any questions?

well, stock mufflers with an offroad h pipe are a very safe combination, and i think sounds really, really good. heres an example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdxxuGE4elw

the reason mac's have that sound is its too much flow volume/noise for the characteristcs of that muffler, it overloads the acoustic cancelling abilities. therefore adding an offroad pipe, even an H pipe, will create a resonance within the muffler that creates an undesireably rattling sounds. some mufflers aren't fit for high flow exhaust systems; for example: mac, flowmaster, thats all i can think of right now.

if you go back to stock mufflers, yes, you'll get rid of the trumpeting. it will still be a little metallic sound, but i guaruntee you it won't be nearly as bad as the mac's. stock mufflers are always a very safe option in terms of sound.

the steeda axlebacks with an offroad h pipe and long tubes will probably not have a trumpeting issue. they have close to zero hint of trumpeting with an offroad h; i can't guaruntee whether or not the longtubes will bring out a trumpeting; in my personal opinion i don't think it will be a problem at all, the steeda's are pretty trumpet-resistant.

since you've already got the longtubes, if you have the money, i reccomend the corsa axlebacks and a high-flow catted midpipe for your setup. best sounding exhaust i've heard so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmjNTPA5h_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLCjvq-b3U

hope this helps, lemme know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

I really appreciate your feedback and will listen tothose clips when I get home from work. At this point Im going to return the axle backs to stock and then begin all over agian. I really liked the overall sound of the MACs, before LTs and ORH, but now its back to the drawing board.At low idle thewhole set up sounds unreal and perfect, but like you said, the acoustics must not be able to handle it, becauseit gets allout of wack.I will keep you posted and post clips of my set ups as I go.Do you think going back to stock mufflers will resultin aslight power decrease?If any, I dont think it should be too noticeable. Thanks again for your help.

enjoy.

any questions?

well, stock mufflers with an offroad h pipe are a very safe combination, and i think sounds really, really good. heres an example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdxxuGE4elw

the reason mac's have that sound is its too much flow volume/noise for the characteristcs of that muffler, it overloads the acoustic cancelling abilities. therefore adding an offroad pipe, even an H pipe, will create a resonance within the muffler that creates an undesireably rattling sounds. some mufflers aren't fit for high flow exhaust systems; for example: mac, flowmaster, thats all i can think of right now.

if you go back to stock mufflers, yes, you'll get rid of the trumpeting. it will still be a little metallic sound, but i guaruntee you it won't be nearly as bad as the mac's. stock mufflers are always a very safe option in terms of sound.

the steeda axlebacks with an offroad h pipe and long tubes will probably not have a trumpeting issue. they have close to zero hint of trumpeting with an offroad h; i can't guaruntee whether or not the longtubes will bring out a trumpeting; in my personal opinion i don't think it will be a problem at all, the steeda's are pretty trumpet-resistant.

since you've already got the longtubes, if you have the money, i reccomend the corsa axlebacks and a high-flow catted midpipe for your setup. best sounding exhaust i've heard so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmjNTPA5h_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLCjvq-b3U

hope this helps, lemme know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Do you think going back to stock mufflers will resultin aslight power decrease?

absolutely not. if anything, youll lose less than 1 ft. lb of torque above 5800 rpm and gain like 2 on the bottom end.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

AmericanMuscle4.6GT:Have you heard any clips of the MotoBlue RS axlebacks with and o/r H pipe. I am looking to addthe o/r H,but afraid it might not sound just right. I am looking for a deep, mean, non-raspy sounding exhaust.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

ErcWrestlr, why don't you searth the internet for a sound clip of the specificset up you are looking for. Afterall, isn't that all the "Exhaust Guru" does anyhow?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

I will give it a shot and thanks again. I will try and take sound clips of before and after to give everyone an idea.

Do you think going back to stock mufflers will resultin aslight power decrease?

absolutely not. if anything, youll lose less than 1 ft. lb of torque above 5800 rpm and gain like 2 on the bottom end.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I think the stock muffs will sound very nice with that setup you have Bigbishjas
Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ErcWrestlr

AmericanMuscle4.6GT:Have you heard any clips of the MotoBlue RS axlebacks with and o/r H pipe. I am looking to addthe o/r H,but afraid it might not sound just right. I am looking for a deep, mean, non-raspy sounding exhaust.
dont think i have; ill do some searching. i think that they will go fine with an offroad h, due to the nature of their design. i dont see how they'd be "raspy" with an h pipe; if anything you'd get crackling, but i dont see that as being a problem with these mufflers.

Quick Reply: GURU APPROVED EXHAUST OPTION