Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOW!!.... washing my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WOW!!.... washing my car

ORIGINAL: godminus1

After I wash the car I use a California Silicon water blade to get the majority of the water off the car. Then I go back over the corners with"The Absorber"synthetic shammy. That picks up all the leftover water and gets rid of any water spots. Saves alot of towels, and works a million times better.

+++++++++++++++++++++++1!, that exactly what i do. but latley ive been going to a do it self car was for like 1.25 w/ power wash and then drying it off the way said above
Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
torque240
1st Gear Member

Just washed mine today and used a micro fiber towel to dry her, but was quickly soured when I found a 2 foot long scratch on the lower part of my passenger door. I am not to happy about it
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

the only time a microfiber towel will scratch is when you got grit in it. mud, brake dust, etc....
DO NOT use the same microfiber towel you clean your wheels with to dry your car, brake dust scratches, even if the wheels were just washed, there is soime residue til you wipe em with the towel.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I have had my car for about 6 months now and have hand washed it probably 35 times...I have to wash and dry my car in 6 different sections! I dont mind cleaning it because I love to look at my work after I am done. Microfiber cloth to apply car solution and shammy to dry!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I make sure to wash the wheels first, using wheel spray, a special brush and then rinsing out the bucket real well.
For the wash I use 2 microfiber mitts, then rinse without spray, so water falls right off. I dry with the Water Sprite, which is a synthetic chamois that works really well, plus a good clean microfiber towel to get all the drops and streaks of water. I'm not going to use any cotton towels on my car anymore, because they leave too many fibers.
I get my supplies at http://www.autogeek.net/

They have lots of info on washing, waxing, caring for your microfiber towels...

Oh, BTW, at the autoshow yesterday I noticed so many new cars that were black and they had all sorts of scratches and swirls in the paint! Makes silver paint much more attractive!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

After I wash the car I use a California Silicon water blade to get the majority of the water off the car. Then I go back over the corners with"The Absorber"synthetic shammy. That picks up all the leftover water and gets rid of any water spots. Saves alot of towels, and works a million times better.
That's my system as well. The only additional step I take is to use my Black and Decker cordless leaf blower to blast the water out of the honeycomb grill, mirrors, and around the headlights/taillights. Then I take the Absorber and wipe up any excess water the blower gets out of those nooks and crannies.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I make sure to wash the wheels first, using wheel spray, a special brush and then rinsing out the bucket real well.
For the wash I use 2 microfiber mitts, then rinse without spray, so water falls right off. I dry with the Water Sprite, which is a synthetic chamois that works really well, plus a good clean microfiber towel to get all the drops and streaks of water. I'm not going to use any cotton towels on my car anymore, because they leave too many fibers.

[quote]

+1 on the details, however you'll never know how wonderful that $39.00 electric blower works to dry your car. It's all I use....and I have one that is "CAR" only, dedicated for the use to dry my vehicles. You'll get water out of every crevice, crack & cranny.....
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
MUS7ANG
1st Gear Member

I have used nothing but micro fiber towels to wax/wash my car. However, I still get fine scratches/swirl marks. I have a black GT so it will show more than others.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

+10 on "The Absorber". My first one lasted 10 years. Works beautifully.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

That's my system as well. The only additional step I take is to use my Black and Decker cordless leaf blower to blast the water out of the honeycomb grill, mirrors, and around the headlights/taillights. Then I take the Absorber and wipe up any excess water the blower gets out of those nooks and crannies.
there's an idea, i have the hardest time w/ my mirriors, truck lid, and grill. I'll start drivng and the water will dry up...IT KILLS ME!

Quick Reply: WOW!!.... washing my car