Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

speedo off after tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
MICHAELPQLEMON

Default speedo off after tune

to allwho is running ffrp tune for there whipples. check your speedometer. Mines off almost 6 miles per hour. Really not a problem for speed but odometer racking up miles. have sent email to whipple. just waiting on reply. also loosing blower stickers so I guess whipple has not changed glue yet. other them that the kit is fantastic. install not bad, drivabilty is great, and all I can say about w.o.t. is wow.
I have steeda cai with high flow tube for sale . all parts there except air filter. less then 1000 miles on it. pm me if interested.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: speedo off after tune

was your speedo accurate before the
FRPP tune
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM
MICHAELPQLEMON

Yes, unfortunately after getting a ticket in car I checked speedo with brothers gps. hes a pilot and has it checked often. before the tune speedo was dead on. this was after I installed steeda tune. all they needed to know was rear gearing, wheel and tire size. not tire circumference. But as I stated before, other thenspeedo and stickers I love the kit. Feels like adifferant car. Wish I could figure out how to insert picture in my signature. also, since I had asked you about it before I wanted you to know that pinging I had after install must have been the gas. Im now on my second tank without anymore pinging and Ive had my foot in it a couple of times.
thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok, i have a hand held gps and i'll check my
speedo this weekend.

hey glad to hear the pinging is gone, it doesn't
take long to go through a tank theses days

my air intake sticker has come off, but the stickers
on the sides of the blower are hanging on for some
reason.....
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
MICHAELPQLEMON

find out anything yet on speedo reading or do I just have bad luck. still havent heard back from whipple yet. will try one more email and if not answered I just have to call them I guess.
thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'm making a little progress Michael.....

i took my gps out with me on the way to
work (in my tundra), just to make sure
it was working.....my tundra speedo was
within .5 mph @ 60...

what does this mean? it means i'll be ready
to go, when i take the stang out this weekend.....

ORIGINAL: MICHAELPQLEMON

find out anything yet on speedo reading or do I just have bad luck. still havent heard back from whipple yet. will try one more email and if not answered I just have to call them I guess.
thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Other forum members have had the same problem with tunes and speedometer being off including me. I'm not sure what value "stock" was in the revs per mile section of my SCT tuner, but it was way off. My speedometer was off by as much as 6 to 8 mph after my gear change, even after selecting the correct gear ratio!

Entering the correct revs per mile for your tires with your tuner will largely fix the problem, although you still might read a couple of mph high. That's because the speedometer reads a little high from the factory, maybe 2 or 3 mph (at least on my car and others). Don't worry, though, the computer should be reading the correct mileage after you've corrected the tune.

Do not use a mathematical calcuation to get your revs per mile. You're probably going to be off doing it that way. Instead, go to the website of the tire manufacturer and look for the revolutions per mile information for your tires.

The stock 17 inch Perelli's I have are 768 revs per mile. I'm currently running 770 revs per mile. It reads slightly high, better to read a little high than read a little low!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i pm'd ya with the gps results...

basically when my speedometer reads 60, gps show 58.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
MICHAELPQLEMON

thanks hammoronfor checking. I guess Im the only one with bad luck. still waiting to hear from whipple. will try them again in morning. If i knew of a safe canned tune that someone was runningfor my sct I would consider going that way so I wouldnt have any speedo issues with possiblerear end changes I may make in the future.Thinking of maybe going to 3:73 since my gt has the 18 inch factory wheels. should put final ratio closer to those 3:55 geared gts with 16 inch wheels.
thanks again
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

michael, if you find yourself in need
of a safe canned tune, i would probably
go with VMP.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...5&parent=0