Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does X-pipe reduce drone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Soc06Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Does X-pipe reduce drone?

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Before you change away from the GTA's... get someone to drive your car while you listen to it form the outside. I was horribly disappointed with them. Then,my brother startedraving about how good it sounded and I let him drive it so I could hear from the outside... and now I wouldn't trade them for anything short of a set of Corsa's. What your hearing in the seat and what the rest of the world hears is not the same thing.
+1 to this.

I have a 06 vert automatic... and i have a drone at low rpms as well, but i had a friend at work drive mine and it sounds awesome from the outside. Don't know if there is a way to dampen the drone on the inside, if there was and it wasn't expensive i would do it, but otherwise i'm spending my money on another mod, as i can stand the drone, knowing what it sounds like from outside the car.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:45 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Amen brother![sm=hail.gif]

ORIGINAL: onederful100

i would have to say no, the drone is at about 1800 rpms, and the x-pipe sound comes into play maybe 1000rpms higher where the drone goes away anyway. to fix the drone change the mufflers. if you want loud try boomtubes.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

ANBAUTO,

I couldn't tell from your post what kind of exhaust you have. I'm curious. It says you have "catted x-pipe and 3 exhaust".

Roger
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

What ever you don dont buy anything from pypes everything they sell is a piece of crap with fitment issues.

Andrew
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I had an o/R X with Flow's and now run the same X with Bassani and have no drone at all with either setup
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr350rider

Actually, I doubt if you could geta kid seatin with the molded rear seats.
Beleive it or not..with the LATCH setup... a baby seat fits REAL nicely in the back. Just test fitted one a couple of days ago when I found out I had a new arrival on the way also

Back On topic now

Mufflers actually do "Break In" over time. The baffles and any absorbing materials need time to finally set up, burn off any manufacturing byproducts (oil and the like) and finally the metal gets seasoned and vibrates ata slightly differntfrequency than before.

With the GTA's, the night I put them on I almost started crying during the first 10 miles I drove the car. It was damn near 100% silent. I purposely went the long way to the self wash I go to, flogging the car hard with the windows down trying to hear ANYTHING. It wasn't until after the wash (I left the car idling while I washed it) that it started to make some noise. I've got about 600 miles on the GTA's now, and they are sounding real nice, inside and out, and I expect them to really hit their stride about 1500 miles after the install.

I am kinda curious to those who say they get drone with the GTA's... mine have none at all. Have you rechecked all your hardware and made sure it's tight?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I had the GTAs with the FRPP X-pipe. I was disappointed by the volume. I waited a bit, hoping that they would break in like some folks say on message boards, but I couldn't notice any change with time.

I ditched the GTAs and put on Borla Stingers. The Borla Stingers + FRPP X-pipe are absolutely wicked. They're loud and you will get noticed, but they are not obnoxious. They are very deep and smooth, and sound very aggressive. I wouldn't trade that combo for anything else.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: they drone like hell even with the X-pipe, but I DON'T CARE [8D]