Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does X-pipe reduce drone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Default Does X-pipe reduce drone?

I put on the FRPP GTA axle backs with an X-pipe. To me they are disappointing. They don't sound like much of anything to me. I can barely hear them from 15 feet away at idle.

My question is will the X-pipe help smooth out any drone that chambered mufflers generate? I'm liking the JBAs.

One thing I noticed listening to exhaust videos is that a lot of them sound meaner during a cold start. I saw the video for the FRPP GTAs on the Ninosport website and that was a cold start and they sounded nice then, as mine do for a few minutes when it is warming up.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Does X-pipe reduce drone?

i would have to say no, the drone is at about 1800 rpms, and the x-pipe sound comes into play maybe 1000rpms higher where the drone goes away anyway. to fix the drone change the mufflers. if you want loud try boomtubes.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Im new 2 the boom tube club and i love them!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Your x-pipe will not reduce drone... I haven't found the drone in coupes to be bad at all, verts are a completely different story...

-Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

I have drone with my x-pipe. My car is an automatic, which tends to be in the drone range quite often (about 1500-2000 RPM, depending on mufflers) unless you manually intervene by shifting out. Different mufflers will have different amounts of drone (some more than others) except for Corsa, which has no drone anytime. An x-pipe (in my opinion) sounds better with a straight-through muffler, otherwise it can sound raspy at higher RPMs. I also believe an x-pipe at WOT screams a little louder but is not as deep as an h-pipe. The x-pipe in general has a higher pitch than an h-pipe.

This might be more info than you're looking for, but I'll post this link to my comparison thread:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4117384/tm.htm
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I have the GTA's with an OR Xpipe. It sounded terrible. All cackly and nasty, Sounded like a truck with a bad muffler. I then mput on some resonators. I get a littel dron but it isn't bad at all. I get compliments on it all the time.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Before you change away from the GTA's... get someone to drive your car while you listen to it form the outside. I was horribly disappointed with them. Then,my brother startedraving about how good it sounded and I let him drive it so I could hear from the outside... and now I wouldn't trade them for anything short of a set of Corsa's. What your hearing in the seat and what the rest of the world hears is not the same thing.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I need to try what GT Bob mentioned and have someone else drive my car so I can hear the GTAs. That's a good idea. My wife won't be too happy to hear I'm thinking of changing them out, since we have a baby on they way.It wouldn't be too un-manly of me to start a thread about baby seats in an S197 would it? Just kidding, mostly. Maybe then I'll want something to out-drone the kid. Actually, I doubt if you could geta kid seatin with the molded rear seats.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

I have a catted x-pipe and 3 exhuast and the only time i get a drone is when im going 100 steadily
Old 11-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

The GTA's will get noticablylouder over time. I don't know why exactly but they do, and I've seen other people with them say the same thing.I have them on mine and noticed it because I thought they were a little too quiet at first as well.

Quick Reply: Does X-pipe reduce drone?