Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roy`s official Newbi thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Default Roy`s official Newbi thread

Hello everyone and welcome, to my newbi thread, Im making this one thread to be the collector of all my stupid questions I can come up with, so I wont spam the forums with stupid threads. I hope that is okey with everyone. So if you see that I am the last poster in this thread at that moment, please enter and enlighten me if you are able, even if you are not able, you are still welcome

About an hour ago, I had alot of questions going on in my head, but it seems like I have forgotten em all at the moment, really anoying...

Oh well, I got a couple of questions regarding the Saleen S/C from brenspeed.

Is a n/a Mustang 05 capable of handling the power of a Stage 3 kit?
If not, what are the requierd mods?

Im quite sure that I would need a new clutch, independent of what stage I get, so what kind of clutch should I get to hande the increased power?

What more then the parts that are in the stage 2/3 kit, would you say, is necessary to have? Gauges maybe? I dont have a clue so please fill me up here.

Thank you for your time and effort, and I apologize for the non existing grammar, Im a stupid swed.

//Roy

Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Roy`s official Newbi thread

Hey Roy. To answer your first question...yes, an n/a mustang can handle the stage III package from brenspeed. I would recommend a new clutch and flywheel (can get them as a combo with some manufacturers). As far as brands go for that, there is centerforce, spec, and Mcleod (which I suggest). I would either get a stage II or a stage III clutch. As far as gauges go...there are tons and tons of them out there. Different companies sell them in package deals as well (Haneymotorsports, Saleen, etc.) The basic gauges are a boost guage, water temp guage. There are others you can get as well like a/f guage and so on.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Hello and thank you, but what is a a/f gauge?

Is it really neccesary to have these gauges at all? My car is a daily driven, (not in winter tough) and I probobly wont go to any track more then once a year.

And back to the Supercharger topic, I heard something about the hood clearence could be an issue with this s/c, true or false?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

an a/f guage is air to fuel ratio, usually indicating your a/f at WOT (wide open throttle)...hood clearance is dependent on the type of supercharger I believe...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

welcome Roy and good luck with
the project......getting ready for
boost is an exciting time....

i love my whipple , but don't let
that deter you from your plans with
the saleen, it's a great unit too.....

Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Roy

Hello and thank you, but what is a a/f gauge?

Is it really neccesary to have these gauges at all? My car is a daily driven, (not in winter tough) and I probobly wont go to any track more then once a year.

And back to the Supercharger topic, I heard something about the hood clearence could be an issue with this s/c, true or false?
You don't really need any gauges. Just most of us want to see what is going on .

As to clearance: What year is your Mustang?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:10 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome Roy...I'll let the SME answer the questions...

Subject Matter Experts...
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Hello again guys, and thank you again for the welcome. I got a new question for ya, but I seem to have forgotten to keep my eye on this thread so I will have to answer abit first.

My Mustang is a 05, black, still N/A. Btw, the Ford Racing exhaust is what these cars come with from factory dosent it?

I have decided for the saleen stage 3, and new flywheel and clutch, going all brenspeed and hope to get everything with the group buy of saleen S/C.

I also would like some advice on what gauges to get.

Now, todays question.

Today we had the first real cold day this winter, first time the degree droped below 0 degrees, or 30 if you prefer the Fahrenheit scale. it dropped down to about 23 as the coldest.

Now, I have heard about how much better it is to run on track when its cold outside beacuse the car runs better and so on, but I actully feelt it like the car was weaker then it is when its warmer outside. It reved fast as hell and i got to redline faster then ever in third. I almost missed the shift to fourth, beacuse I didnt fell that it was time to shift as I normaly do.

I wasent running on any track so I dont know what the speed and such was at redline.

So, shorter version of question. Does my Car provide more power when cold, or the opposite?
Faster when cold or slower?

Enlighten me.

And thank you everyone for helping me.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

the general line of thinking is that because colder air is denser, more air is getting into the engine and hence, more power. just like in business though, there is a point of diminishing returns. there are two big factors with this; without a good tune the increase in air doesn't really do much for power (no timing is being adjusted and no additional fuel is being added), and tires that are cold don't get traction as well as they do when warm. so yes, while the engine might produce marginally more power, there's a good chance that you hit the point of diminishing returns with it being TOO cold.

welcome to the forums
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree but you might not need the clutch or flywheel right after the install of the Stg 3 kit.
ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Hey Roy. To answer your first question...yes, an n/a mustang can handle the stage III package from brenspeed. I would recommend a new clutch and flywheel (can get them as a combo with some manufacturers). As far as brands go for that, there is centerforce, spec, and Mcleod (which I suggest). I would either get a stage II or a stage III clutch. As far as gauges go...there are tons and tons of them out there. Different companies sell them in package deals as well (Haneymotorsports, Saleen, etc.) The basic gauges are a boost guage, water temp guage. There are others you can get as well like a/f guage and so on.
I would get boost and A/F ratio gauge before a water temp gauge but its personal preference! If you get all three more power to ya....get the mechanical gauges as the are more responsive and easier to install. JMO J

Quick Reply: Roy`s official Newbi thread