Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
torque240
1st Gear Member

Default supercharger owners

I am planning on a supercharger next spring, and wanted to get some insight on your experiences with your supercharger. I have been looking at the saleen stage 1 from brenspeed. Also anyone with a centri feel free to chime in. How does the power come on with your supercharger setups. I have heard that with the saleen 4" pulley you really have to smash it to make boost. The only FI cars i have driven was a jetta gli with a vortech and a stock wrx. The vortech seemed to kick in pretty nice with a smooth hard pull throughout the rev range and the wrx needed 3000 rpms before any boost. how does the twinscrew compare to these setups? I liked the vortech's constant pull, it seems that the saleen with 170 hp in 4-5 pounds of boost by 2000 rpms would make the car hard not to spin tire all the time.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger owners

All superchargers have a by-pass valve that vents boosted air out while normal operation. When you get on the gas the valve closes and allows boost to build. Centrifugals, by nature, dont have much boost below 3000 rpm. But if your romping on the gas, how long are you below 3000? I went with ProCharger, just because they are local to me, and became a dealer at the same time. I honestly dont think you could ever be unhappy with ANY supercharger choice (except the "electric" BS). Boost is Boost and makes you grin a mile wide everytime you smash the gas.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

+1
they are all fun!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

i dont want to hijack your thread but since it is about superchargers i wanted to know if it was possible to put a blow off valve in a supercharged car.? and how will it work?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great choice with the saleen, it's
one of my favorites

and +2, to everything SCCAGT said

i love my whipple
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I have the Paxton set-up from Brenspeed and I agree with SCCAGT....power really hits at 3000rpm and you are really not there that much. From 3000 on up it doesn't stop pulling and building power. I have no problem lighting em up from a dead stop. I went with the Paxton set-up because I wanted something a little more mild down low for normal driving around town but have a ton of power when needed. However, all superchargers are awesome and make great power so you can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM
torque240
1st Gear Member

discribe how the power comes on in a twinscrew setup as you climb the rpm range
Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

My Saleen S/C kicks in at 2500 rpm and pulls the whole rpm range. It's great!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
clfrye
1st Gear Member

The Whipple (twin screw) has tons of low end torque. Spinning the rear tires is extremely easy, if that is what you are looking for. All in all the car very good power all the through the power band. My only suggestion would be not to neglect the brakes or suspension. It is a life saver to be able to stop with all that extra horse power. And suspension upgrades will stop the rear wheel hop and improve handling fantasticly.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

I totally agree with what cflrye said about the suspension and brakes. I'm actually going to adress the handling and stopping power on my car before I get into the engine stuff. These cars are actually pretty potent when stock as far as power is concerned, but I find the stock brakes on GT's leave some to be desired, and there are likely better tires out there for in the rain than the stock Pirelli's too. Once I've adressed these things, then it's on to power. I am thinking of going with the Kenne Bell 2.6L, with low boost, and intercooled. If I can have closer to 400 rwhp, and have that all day, everyday without launching the engine, then I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: supercharger owners