Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech / Paxton Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 AM
catalac
2nd Gear Member

Default Vortech / Paxton Superchargers

Because the search function is DOA I have a couple questions to ask.

Are Paxton and Vortech the same company?

Other than the power curve coming on at higher RPM would there be concerns running these chargers? Reason I ask is from surfing not even calling I can get a paxton 1200sl non ic or Vortech base kit for as low as $3600 Then to go full meal deal the advertised Brenspeed Vortech, polished, edit... not intercooled, custom tune, 500hpis only $4200. This seems like great value??? The intercooled from other sources I see is about $4600

Is the install on these about as easy as a whipple or saleen?

I will never be at the drag strip, maybe a centri would be a better fit for driving and for my wallet.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech / Paxton Superchargers

I didn't think they were the same company but I'm not sure. For the power curve, the boost starts building around 3000rpm and keeps building. I have had mine for about 7 months now and have not had any problems. I think where you need to be concerned is your A/F ratio and shift points as these things will keep building power into very high rmp ranges where things will go boom! A lot of this comes down to tuning and one of the reasons I went with Brenspeed...I trust their tuning. However, keep in mind that I have the 2200 IC version though but functionally they will all build boost the same way. With the non-IC versions you will able to run about 6-8PSI due to heat so depending on what you are looking for that may be fine. IMO though, I would spend the extra $500-$600 on the IC versions for flexibility. As far as installation, I had Brenspeed do my installation so I can't address that. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Grabber07Orange
2nd Gear Member

a lot of people use centri's for track use because they make loads of boost at high rpm's, where your engine is the whole way down the track...if you were getting a supercharger i would get a roots or TS because they're better for street use in that they make lots of boost down low which equals loads of fun on the street .... but to answer your question i think vortech owns paxton or the other way around becuase i know some of the same vendors sell both and they will use paxton and vortech in the same sentences acting like they're talking about both identically
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
catalac
2nd Gear Member

I don't like the ka boom talk.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

2 different companies under the same roof!.. Both are great kits. I have had my HO Vortec for well over a year now and NO issues to speak of. a Blast to drive!..
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

same company

for all intensive purposes a centrifugal supercharger is really just a belt-driven turbo

great bang for the buck. i like em because you can stay out of the boost around town and get good mileage, then spool it up when you want to go fast
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
tom281
2nd Gear Member

My car is the car on Brenspeed's website that shows the base Vortech kit. It is complete with CM delete plates and tune, etc. and can be installed in one day. It makes around 6-8 psi and with it and exhaust my car spun 439 rwhp on the dyno.

I since have upgraded the kit with a Paxton intercooler and smaller pulley, now the car hits ~470 on the dyno and the intake charge is cooler. If you're budget is tight, and you don't want to race but rather just have a fast, fast car, the base kit works very well. And it is upgradeable, although it will cost you alittle more to do it later if you choose.