Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
houn37d

Default It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

I got a 1965 ford mustang with a 289. I was driving the car one night and she kinda lost power a few times....like i was runnin out of gas, but i had gas in it. the next mornin i ran up to the store and she went dead as i pulled into the store. Again about 6 more times on the mile drive back from the store. i have replaced the following parts.

carburetor
coil
vaccum advance
all lines into the carb
plugs and wires

i dint replace the points cause they look really good. also i didnt replace the fuel pump cause it seems to be pumping plenty of fuel into the carb. Also when i put the new carb on it she crank fine, and drove around the block once. the second time around the problem started all over again. when I crank it it runs, i keep it idled high and it kinda dies down to real low and picks back up again. and will continue doing that for as long as i run it. As soon as i put it in gear it dies everytime. WHAT COULD IT BE?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.

welcome houn37d to the forum

the guys in the classic section will be able
to help with this.....post a new thread in here:

https://mustangforums.com/forumid_18/tt.htm

i have no real clue, but to me it sounds like the transmission

good luck and i hope you get it fixed
Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
vista06gt

could have water in your gas tank...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Start with replacing the fuel filter. If that doesn't fix things, next I would replace the fuel pump. Could be that the fuel pump is on it's way out and when the pump is free flowing, it's fine, but when it needs to pump at any kind of pressure, it can't keep up, especially if it's an electric pump.

What does the car sound like when its dieing? Does it sputter, like it's out of gas, or does it just instantly cut out? Does it surge prior to dieing, does it "diesel"?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Start with replacing the fuel filter. If that doesn't fix things, next I would replace the fuel pump. Could be that the fuel pump is on it's way out and when the pump is free flowing, it's fine, but when it needs to pump at any kind of pressure, it can't keep up, especially if it's an electric pump.

What does the car sound like when its dieing? Does it sputter, like it's out of gas, or does it just instantly cut out? Does it surge prior to dieing, does it "diesel"?
+1 I had a 66 mustang with a 6 cyl and it had two fuel filters, both were gummed up as hell, and caused the same problem you are describing. I replaced both and it ran good again, it certainly can't hurt to change them out.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 AM
houn37d

Ok i have changed the fuel filter as well still no go. I suppopse i need to buy a new fuel pump......is there anyway to test it before i buy a new one?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

I doubt it's the fuel pump, that would give you more problems at WOT not idle or low acceleration. What carburator is on the car, 2 or 4 barrel and who makes it?Did you adjust the air/fuel mixture screws, trying adjusting those for highest idle, or get a vacuum gauge and adjust to highest Vacuum.Does is seems likes it's flooding out, or running out of gas? Perhaps the floats may be sticking causing the engine to flood at low RPMs. When you try to restart does it fire right up, or do you have to hold your foot to the floor?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
houn37d

2 barrell Ford model 2100(Rebuilt)I BOUGHT IT FROM O'REILLY's. its like its running out of gas when its in park, but it picks back up, and then dies down again and back up, also it crackles and pops(i have checked the timing) But as soon as i put it in gear it dies automatically as if it just ran out of gas. I did adjust the two gas air mixture screws but put them back as they wer for it made no difference in how it was. and yes when i restart it it starts normal.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Yea man welcome, but we are familiar with injection and the computers, the classic area might be able to help you more.

I personally would check all filters, dump the fuel, and change the plugs. And/or spray the carb with brakecleaner and all of the jets
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

try 91 octane, it works for me.

Quick Reply: It Keeps Dying when i put it in gear.