Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WHICH DRIVESHAFT

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Stangbanger3v
1st Gear Member

Default WHICH DRIVESHAFT

i want to get a new driveshaft but i hear they all rattle neone know a good one for an 07 gt automatic
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WHICH DRIVESHAFT

Spydershaft.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I noticed Brenspeed is offering a 3.5" Alumnium Shaft. Little pricey in comparison to other companies but the trusted customer service/satisfaction from Brenspeed is worth the extra dough. Still too pricey for my wallet however.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Spydershaft .. $479 at suttonhp ..
Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Stangbanger3v
1st Gear Member

alot of ppl say the spydershaft vibrates like crazy when over 100mph is that an accurate claim
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
JasonK026

The Spydershaft's popularityis the result of a nice name and marketing. In reality, there are severalaluminum driveshafts offering the exact increase in performanceout there and none can offer the same level of performance increase as a carbon fiber shaft.

As soon as cost is driven down a bit by demand (just as it happened for the aluminums), carbon fiber will be the choice for many. Stronger, more rigid, and much lighter than alumuminum, carbon fiber is the way to go!

I've read many reviews and none mentioned noise levels increasing. What I haveseen is that the shaft willactually quiet down the cabin and your aftermarket shifter (tri-axe, hurst, etc) andthe engine climbsup the rpmsnoticabley faster.

"the benefits of carbon fiber can be felt and heard in reduced driveline harmonics and vibration. Carbon fiber absorbs these harmonics much more efficiently without the long term fatique associated with steel or aluminum."

If you have enough for an aluminum shaft, you're already 60% ready to get the carbon fiber!

The more people realize the greater performance value of a carbon fiber shaft, the quicker the prices will drop. I've already ordered mine!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Powerhouse shaft - no problem with automatic

1- The carbon fiber shaft that is available weighs more than my alumium one.
2- If there is no noise or vibration then what benefit would there be?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

i have the coast unit and it works great. no clearance issues to speak of and my car's lowered. Call Bill at coast and tell him chris from B&M referred you. He will hook you up on a deal.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Who are the 'lot's of people' who claim the sypedrshaft vibrates?

FYI: One or two guys with an improper install doesn't mean the product is bad...

As far as the CF goes it is not only heavier, but way overkill and unneeded. There are tons and tons of cars making and hooking over 1000 rwhp with alum. shafts.

What makes the spydershaft a good buy is the price... plain and simple. There are several good shafts out there and properly installed, they all accomplish the same thing so price should be your deciding factor IMO.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
JasonK026

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Powerhouse shaft - no problem with automatic

1- The carbon fiber shaft that is available weighs more than my alumium one.
2- If there is no noise or vibration then what benefit would there be?
I have yet to see an aluminum driveshaft come close to 11#.

I've seen two 15-17# aluminums for $600+

If you find an aluminum driveshaft that light that WON'T increase noise and vibration, give me a heads up.

"The carbon fiber driveshafts are becoming commonplace in NHRA and IHRA Pro Stock racers, where the drivers have found they experience less wheel ship and tire shake than with conventional driveshafts. "

"The carbon fiber composite has a much higher vibration damping coefficient (the time it takes to reduce a vibration to zero) than steel or aluminum. That high damping ability means that the driveshaft absorbs shock form the driveline rather than transmitting it, which should give the tires a chance to stay stuck (or stick better) to the pavement, rather than spin. Also, the critical speed (the speed that the center of a shaft will begin to move or "whip" and destroy itself) of a composite shaft can be tailored to the specific application by varying the diameter of the tube, its wall thickness, and the fiber used. Steel and aluminum shafts, if of the same critical speed; a composite shaft has a much higher stiffness to density ration, and at the came dimensions as a metal shaft, will have a critical speed approximately 40% higher. The critical speed of a standard carbon fiber driveshaft for a 5.0L Mustang is over 10,000rpm! And that's driveshaft rpm (which you'll only see in high gear), not engine rpm. There isn't a Pro 5.0 Mustang around that'll ever get near that kind of driveshaft speed!"

Quick Reply: WHICH DRIVESHAFT